Browning 65 218 Bee w/ 24" barrel

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
johnly
Levergunner 1.0

Browning 65 218 Bee w/ 24" barrel

Post by johnly »

Just fondled one of these at a local shop. Looked to be a safe queen, in perfect shape except for some stock dings. $800 was the asking price. I was tempted, but didn't take the plunge.

John
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Darned sharp rifles. Don't know if I'd had the will power to leave it behind.

8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
blackhawk44
Levergunner 2.0

Post by blackhawk44 »

If I were you, I'd go haggle with them some, do the very best you can, but I would not come home again without it.
Wes
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wes »

Let me say from experience, these are really nice rifles. Mine is a tack driver. Right after I got it I just threw together a load with H4198 and the 46 gr Speer. At 25 yards it grouped in one ragged hole. Almost shoots itself. Seems like everything you point it at gets a hole poked in it. Can't say enough about the rifle. Mine was a little dinged up and had a reciever sight on it, I paid $400 for it about 15 years ago.
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

A local shop has one NIB priced at $995. The book of gun values he had laying right there on the counter showed a NIB value of $719. I offered $725, he said not less than $900. It's still there.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

They seem to be moving on at about $800 or more nowadays, if you can find one. :mrgreen:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
johnly
Levergunner 1.0

Post by johnly »

The one I looked at was on consignment since 1/13/08. So other people have had reservations about slapping down 8 Franklins to take it home.
blackhawk44
Levergunner 2.0

Post by blackhawk44 »

It's quite likely being passed because that's a handloader's rifle. If you had to depend on factory ammo you'd stay broke and always be out of ammo. Check the price and number of boxes that shop has available. Take a deep breath first. Just to satisfy yourself, call around and check the web auctions and compare prices on that rifle. I think you had better put it on lay away and order a set of dies.
Wrangler John
Levergunner 2.0

Browning M-65

Post by Wrangler John »

Here's a couple of pictures of my M-65 in 219 Bee.
Bought it new, in fact I think I special ordered it when they were first available. Never fired, never had the action worked, and its sticky with factory preservative. After I fired its big brother, an 1886 1 of 3000 and dented the stock slightly with my ear muffs, I just can't bear to shoot this one. It'll just remain a safe princess - being too small to be a queen. Indeed, I gotta get it out of the safe more often - it sure is pretty. :D
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Wrangler John, that's exactly the reason I sold my Browning High Grade in 45-70. I think they're just too pretty a gun to take into the woods and beat up. The stock finish is a hard finish, like a polyurethane, so anyone who gets a ding in their stock is going to have a hard time repairing it. And, I've seen other rifles with like finishes and dings look just horrible. Not like an oil finish you can raise the ding, whisker it, sand it off and apply your oil. I'll take my oil finish Winnie any day over that.
Old Law Dawg
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

blackhawk44 wrote:It's quite likely being passed because that's a handloader's rifle. If you had to depend on factory ammo you'd stay broke and always be out of ammo. Check the price and number of boxes that shop has available. Take a deep breath first.
218 Bee ammo options:

http://shop.reedsammo.com/product.sc?ca ... ductId=433

http://www.natchezss.com/ammo.cfm?conte ... moSize=192

I'm going to order a 100 rds from Reed this spring and check them out in my Browning Model 65, which is a real personal favorite!

My Browning Model 65 (top)
Last edited by mod71alaska on Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

Wrangler John
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wrangler John »

kimwcook wrote:Wrangler John, that's exactly the reason I sold my Browning High Grade in 45-70. I think they're just too pretty a gun to take into the woods and beat up. The stock finish is a hard finish, like a polyurethane, so anyone who gets a ding in their stock is going to have a hard time repairing it. And, I've seen other rifles with like finishes and dings look just horrible. Not like an oil finish you can raise the ding, whisker it, sand it off and apply your oil. I'll take my oil finish Winnie any day over that.
You are absolutely correct - they are display pieces. When the 1886 came out I picked up both grades and shoot low grade, even had a receiver sight installed. Wasn't well heeled enough to buy both grades of M-65,s though, I was already cash strapped from picking up the M-71 and 1895 Grade II's. Somebody, somewhere, should think about another run of top quality M-65's, I know my wallet would suffer the flight of greenbacks. Maybe lever rifles are an addiction, maybe not, but the Brownings are very satisfying. Now if I could just swing a steam locomotive, all my fantasies would be complete!