How did Johnny Ringo Die?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Does anyone really know how Johnny Ringo died, i`ve done a few searches and most say suicide but this article says MRS Earp claims Wyatt did it.
Thoughts?
She can only describe those events as Wyatt and others reported them to her. Interestingly, Josie does insist that Wyatt killed John Ringo. She says the posse’s intent was to lynch Ringo, but they failed to get the drop on him. Wyatt caught him on the run with a lucky rifle shot that hit him in the head. Stuart Lake, based on letters from Fred Dodge, attributed the killing of Ringo to Johnny-Behind-the-Deuce, as Boyer points out in his notes. Perhaps Dodge lied to protect Wyatt. It is difficult to explain why Josie would invent this story when her efforts were aimed at downplaying Wyatt’s reputation as a killer.
http://fiveshot.org/guests/earp.htm
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
bdhold

Re: How did Johnny Ringo Die?

Post by bdhold »

and I thought Doc Holiday was his huckleberry.
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

I've heard 10 different stories about his death and about the only thing they have in common was he was found under a tree. Doubt we'll ever know although loads of fun to talk about.

LK
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

bulldog1935 wrote:and I thought Doc Holiday was his huckleberry.
and the strain was too much for ringo to bear
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

He was just too high strung, that's all.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Here's some info but it is not conclusive either, but it is interesting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Ringo

Apparently Louis L'Amour researched him some.
Ricky

DWWC
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

suicide?
Very interesting, thanks for the link.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

A few months before his death, Wyatt Earp wrote the details of four gunfights he was involved in. Johnny Ringo's was one of them, according to him.

He wrote the details in long-hand and drew diagrams of each of the fights explaining who was where and did what. He tells how he shot Johnny Ringo in some detail.

I have copies of those papers. Some years ago the US MARSHALS FOUNDATION made them available to those who supported them. The Foundation has the originals, obtained from Stuart Lake I believe it was. Copies may still be available, though it was twenty years ago or more when I got mine.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

In everything I read it seems most probable that it was done at his own hand. Doc and Wyatt seem to have been in other places at the time. I dont think you will ever hear of a single provable story.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

JimT wrote:A few months before his death, Wyatt Earp wrote the details of four gunfights he was involved in. Johnny Ringo's was one of them, according to him.

He wrote the details in long-hand and drew diagrams of each of the fights explaining who was where and did what. He tells how he shot Johnny Ringo in some detail.

I have copies of those papers. Some years ago the US MARSHALS FOUNDATION made them available to those who supported them. The Foundation has the originals, obtained from Stuart Lake I believe it was. Copies may still be available, though it was twenty years ago or more when I got mine.

I dont think I have seen those and would be very interested in seeing them.
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

JimT wrote:A few months before his death, Wyatt Earp wrote the details of four gunfights he was involved in. Johnny Ringo's was one of them, according to him.

Those would be cool but, someone correct if I'm wrong, didn't Earp basically make his living off his reputation and persona after his time in Tombstone (or even during his time in Tombstone for that matter). Doesn't add much credence to anything he would say or write IMO. Kinda like Clinton writing his own story about his time in the White House. Not to sure we'd get the whole story (i.e. truth) or even part of it.

LK
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

L_Kilkenny wrote:

Those would be cool but, someone correct if I'm wrong, didn't Earp basically make his living off his reputation and persona after his time in Tombstone (or even during his time in Tombstone for that matter). Doesn't add much credence to anything he would say or write IMO. Kinda like Clinton writing his own story about his time in the White House. Not to sure we'd get the whole story (i.e. truth) or even part of it.

LK
That is def. true. He did realize how important it was to have a writer write his story in his own words.

Wyatt was also pretty heavily involved with Western Movies in the 1920s.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Interesting Jim 8)
Someone went to a lot of trouble to make it look like suicide if that`s the case with the boots on the saddle ,his feet wrapped and gun belt upside down. Sounds like a bad day to me and he ended it but on the other hand nothing would surprise me and a cover up would surely be possible.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

based on what Wikipedia has to say, it doesn't sound like Johnny Ringo was much of a gunfighter, outlaw or bad guy. Sounds like he was a basic ne'er-do-well with a cool-sounding name
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

Hole in head.

Harry
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

harry wrote:How did Johnny Ringo Die?
Hole in head.

Harry
:P :lol:
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

Ringo got his start in the "Mason County War" in Texas. Some refer to it as the "Hoo-Do War". From what I have been able to read "he gained a reputation as a dangerous gunfighter and man killer. He was proclaimed throughout Texas as a daring leader, a desperate man, and a champion of the feud. He later became a lawman in Mason County, Texas. He fought Victorio's raiders in a deadly confrontation in New Mexico before he went to Tombstone and took a side". How he died nobody knows or will ever know for sure. I think most historians say Wyatt Earp, a distant relative of mine, might have embellished his life to Lake but most think Lake did it on his own to sell the book after Wyatt had died before the manuscript was published.
"That'll Be The Day"