Appendix carry....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Appendix carry....

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Well, I've always favored "strong side" carry for my concealed carry method.

But yesterday, I tried the appendix carry (which might be called the shoot your stuff off carry) method with my Glock 20.

I made sure the chamber was empty - I would never try this with a loaded chamber.... just can't do it. However, what I found was that my dunlap disease was actually helpful in concealing the big block. It was not visible in any way.

Hmmm, so now I'm thinking that this might be worth considering - again, carrying chamber-empty only...

I did notice that it made it difficult to bend over, but if you're in a situation where you're going to be standing/walking around all day, this would be something to consider.

Strong side carry always prints at least a little for me. Not enough to keep me from carrying, but I'd much rather be completely concealed...
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Appendix carry....

Post by Grizz »

I use a highnoon softy LOW RIDE holster. it has a single steel belt clip that is very secure. I slide the gun from 3 to abt 1:30 to get the grip under the, uh, hide.. ( :lol: ) with the grip right on the belt. I've never imagined that I have to out-draw earp. But getting the gun around that way allows me to conceal a 4" XD45 under a loose tee shirt. It's the mall protocol.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Yeah, kinda like parking the tractor under the shed roof :lol:
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
ving-thorr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ving-thorr »

My best bud from work carries his service pistol, hk p2000, that way off duty. With a round in the chamber. He swears by it! I just can't do it though, it gives me the heebie-jeebies. I prefer the strongside, 4 o'clock position. better to accidentally blow off my buttcheek than my manhood! :lol: did you carry the glock with an empty chamber when you wore it strongside?
The LORD is my light and my salvation; Whom shall I fear?
The LORD is the defense of my life; Whom shall I dread?
Psalms 27:1
williamranks
Levergunner 3.0

Post by williamranks »

I have to carry strong side at or slightly behind the hip since I can't see my belt anymore.
Bill Ranks
I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Robert A. Heinlein
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

While not CC related I do prefer to have a hunting/field gun more in the 1:00 position than at 3 or 4:00. Just seems more natural and easier to get at. Especially if it's riding on it's own belt.

LK
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

I've tried appendix carry a few times, especially with my PM9. However, I sit at the desk a lot (or in a car) and AC doesn't really work for me. I actually find S.O.B. or 4:30-5:00 carry works better sitting down (except for the car).

People, however, swear by the Smart Carry system, and it seems to provide conceal-ability benefits.
Last edited by alnitak on Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Can't bring myself to do the "shoot your junk" carry. :shock: No way, no how. :D

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I carry either strong side, outside belt, at the 3-4:00 position or in a Miami Classic shoulder holster. I find if I move it I can't find it. I've worn strong side for so long. The only other time I'll carry differently is possibly riding my horses and then I may carry crossdraw. AC I just wouldn't feel comfortable with and possibly may get myself or someone else hurt because I'd be so inclined to draw from my strong side I'd probably fumble around a minute before I realized where I actually had it. So many repetitions and muscle memory.
Old Law Dawg
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Carrying an AirLite, AirWeight, or bitty .380 gives me piece of mind without threatening The Boys....I'll open carry the 1911, or whatever, when in a rural situation that calls for a bigger stick.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mac in Mo »

I used to carry my Model 60 there when on duty. It was back up to my Model 64. No gut then. It was right behind my double speed loader pouch.

When our department went to the Beretta 92D, they gave us four choices for off-duty pistols. I bought the Sig 225. I would carry it in the appendix carry position when I had on shorts and a t-shirt. It did not print at all there.

I never even gave it a thought (the boys) for some reason.

Kevin
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

ving-thorr wrote:My best bud from work carries his service pistol, hk p2000, that way off duty. With a round in the chamber. He swears by it! I just can't do it though, it gives me the heebie-jeebies. I prefer the strongside, 4 o'clock position. better to accidentally blow off my buttcheek than my manhood! :lol: did you carry the glock with an empty chamber when you wore it strongside?
When I carry strong side it's in a holster and yeah, with one up the pipe. That's how I really want to carry regardless but I am like you - can't do the appendix with one up the pipe. That's the main reason that I've avoided it.

But seeing how well even a big fat G20 is concealed that way.... made me think maybe it'd be OK for situations like the mall as Grizz says...
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

u guys have me laughing. parking the tractor under the shed ...... :shock: :lol:
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I'll take cover wherever I can get it

:!: :!: :lol:

PS: How do you keep a gun that's making a big blob on your back from printing under a tee? Or is that for wear with a big jacket? When I put a pistol back there it looks like I'm advertising for Springfield!
Irelander
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Irelander »

If a mode of carry causes you to carry without a loaded gun (one in the chamber), then find a different mode of carry. A gun is useless unless its loaded. Thinking that you can skin that smoke wagon, rack the slide, aim...and all that in a critical incident is a good way to get yourself killed.

You have to practice with a new mode of carry before you employ that method. I've practiced with appendix carry of my P380 in a belly band holster for jogging. I feel comfortable with that mode with one in the chamber.
The time has come to stand for all we believe in.

Glock Certified Armorer
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mac in Mo »

Adam.

I am not arguing your point. I have not and would not carry a pistol with an empty chamber if it were carried for defensive purposes, when it was my choice. I do seem to recall Mossad carrying some sort of pistol with an empty chamber and having to chamber a round as part of their draw. I can't say they don't know their business. I suppose it can be done, but I don't like it for myself.

Kevin
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

I have carried appendix for more than 30 years.

Glock 17 is just a bit too long, a Glock 19 doesn't pinch at all when I sit. You might find that a Glock 29 would work. Besides, it's a good reason to get another gun!

I don't know what holster you're using but stuff the gun in it with it in your hand. Now look at it. With mine, not only is the holster in the way of moving the trigger, but so is the steel belt clip. No way in hell can the trigger get pulled.

Try it! Unload the weapon an see if you can get it to snap. Bet you can't. I understand your reluctance, the boys are kind of important and sensitive.

I would not carry empty chamber, ever, ever, ever. I might be able to get a round chambered, but there are so many things that can go wrong with that plan that it's not even funny. I would never kid myself that I could predict how a gun fight would go.

The Israel armed forces do indeed carry chamber empty. And no, they do not know what they are doing, at least not in this area.

Cat
Last edited by Catshooter on Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cliff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Cliff »

Nothing to fear with a Glock and appendix carry. Simply get a trigger block plug. It fits in behind the trigger and you push it out when you draw, it falls free and you are good to go. Cost about $20 buck. I use them with my "ClipDraw" devices. I believe Clip Draw sells it along with the regular clip draw metal type gun holder. They recommend this for safety. If you have to leave the gun somewhere, you can insert a small padlock into the trigger block once it is put in place and it cannot (the trigger Block) be removed, rendering the pistol safe. Great little gadget, when they first came out they made them out of orange colored material now they are black, and hard to see. One claim (I am skeptical) is if someone grabs your glock, if they don't know what the do dad is it will prevent them from removing it and firing your pistol. http://www.clipdraw.com I believe is the address. Look it over it works.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I think I'll just stick with strong side - that's what all of my holsters are. The appendix "try" was "mexican carry" :)

That's why in particular, the empty chamber but I must admit that I'd not be comfy with a loaded chamber even with the holster... I've seen too many "AD" situatuations to tempt fate.

A shot leg or foot I could deal with... but not my boys laying on the pavement in little pieces... :shock:
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

O.S.O.K. wrote:I made sure the chamber was empty - I would never try this with a loaded chamber.... just can't do it.
Of course if you're pessimistic enough to think a round could just 'go off', think about what one in the magazine could do, or one in a non-lined-up chamber in a revolver cylinder. I've never heard of such an occurrence, but it still gives me the creeps.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

When I was a tad trimmer, it was either a Milt Sparks summertime special, somewhere between 90 & 110º, or a shoulder holster under a suit or sports jacket. I quit doin' the empty pipe thing when I got out of the service.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
preventec47
Levergunner 2.0

Post by preventec47 »

Just ask Plaxico Burris about carrying Glocks with one
in the barrel.... You know, the NY Jet that shot his leg
in a night club in NY and spent 3 years in prison.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

preventec47 wrote:Just ask Plaxico Burris about carrying Glocks with one
in the barrel.... You know, the NY Jet that shot his leg
in a night club in NY and spent 3 years in prison.
I don't know, but I bet it was in a big baggy pocket.... and not in a holster. And he was most probably slightly numb....until the round went into his leg.
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

I've been carrying a Kimber Compact 1911 that way for 6 or 7 years, cocked and locked.