looking for knife info

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

looking for knife info

Post by Grizz »

Does anyone around here own one of these, or know something about them? I would like to buy the Bowie version. But if it's a piece of junk I don't need that.....

Hikers, fix bowienets...... forward.....

Grizz
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Re: looking for knife info

Post by Mescalero »

Grizz,
I do not know about those models, but I own 6 Cold Steel knives and they are all excellent quality.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

I believe they are Taiwan made which in my experience is way better than Chicom made. I have heard nothing negative about then especially for their affordable price line. I was seriously considering getting the narrow blade model and adding a long hardwood handle for a boar spear. For the money I don't think you can go wrong. I own a couple Cold Steel machetes (Barong & Sax) made in China and I'm totally ecstatic about them, surprisingly nice quality for the buck.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

I just bought the bowie version couple days ago as I was swinging though TN on a facility upgrade trip.

Smoky Mountain Knifeworks has them at $20, as soon as they sell out of those, new price is $28.

So saying, the bowie is basic and functional. Sheath not too back and a pocket on the side for a stone and other essentials. Room inside the handle for storing more.

Knife comes pretty sharp and greasy. You can barely bend it with your hands, but looks like it will stand up to quite a bit of abuse.

My son has the other one. Has held up well for him.

For a cheap carry around beat-up and abuse knife, I think it's well worth the price.

Do a search on Smoky Mountain Knife Works for their online website. I've never had a problem ordering from them and their store near Seaiverville, off I-40 at exit 409 is a great way to spend a couple of hours.

By the way, the Lodge Cast Iron Outlet store is right across the street.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

thanks guys, sounds like a winner for the money

I like being able to fix it onto my hiking staffs

will check out that site and see if they still have them, thanks.

EDIT: well I missed it and now I don't want to pay up for it. fooooooey

Grizz
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Yeah, that's no fun.

I just popped over to their website at http://www.eknifeworks.com/ or http://www.smkw.com/ (same website, the first one is a redirect)

and saw it was on back order. Along with quite a few other Cold Steel product. You could try ordering anyway, they may find a couple more here and there.

If you want something for the walking staff, I can see it would be worth the extra bucks though.

When I was there, they still had a stack of them in the counter. Noticed the price difference between the two, the guy said just as soon as they sold out, the new batch would have the higher price. Guess he was right.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

It's not that it is a bad deal, it's just the thought of so many Scots rolling over at the same time.......
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

What do you want the knife to do? Be easy to sharpen, cut forever without sharpening, thow it into a tree and straighten it oout again? As to just cutting something a bronze knife will cut, but not very long, a steel knife of 4895 will be easy to sharpen and will do a pretty good job all roound. The Bushman knives are I think 5156 spring steel and hold a good edge and stand up to most abuse. They are a good blade for a survival kit but a tad big for a real world working knife. One of those and a good pocket knife would be ok for the back of the jeep.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

Cold Steel knives are excellent
here's the company website
http://www.coldsteel.com/bushmanseries.html
SMNW price quoted above is better than any I can find elsewhere, including ebay.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Amazon has a Bowie blade Bushman for $23.58 including free shipping (on orders over $25 so buy something else that cost $1.42). :wink:
http://www.amazon.com/Cold-Steel-Bushma ... 303&sr=8-1
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

Gave one to a friend two years ago maybe three,while I've never got to work mine ,he was able to use his skinning a bear and liked it.As he tends to keep all of his razor sharp I'll take his word for it.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Ask Blaine, he and I both own the OSS model.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Mescalero wrote:Ask Blaine, he and I both own the OSS model.
@Ji: thanks for the source, that's a reasonable price.

What is the OSS model?

I read every review on amazon and came away with more questions than answers.

One didn't have the grip welded up, there was a gap where the weld belonged.

Many commented about how thin the blade is. My 100mm Mora has a 2.5mm thick blade. It seems strong enough for the blade size.

Several commented about the softness of the steel and the need for resharpening. I can't tell if this is something past the honing stage, or if the users were digging truffles in rock gardens. My mora knives have a thin edge. Although the scandi grind doesn't look fragile. If I'm carving something around knots it can make a wire edge eventually, which straightens right out with the fine grit strop.

I am looking for something to fill in the gap between the 4" belt knife and the small axe. Maybe a machete is more to the point.

I still like the spear idea. But any knife can be lashed to a stick.

Thanks for the input on this.

Grizz
Last edited by Grizz on Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

I have the Bushman model, and while I haven't tested it extensively, it seems like a functional and versatile knife for woods/camping/survival situations -- kind of a one-does-it-all knife. Then again, I will probably never use as intended -- e.g., attaching it to a stick to make a spear. If I'm going on a hog hunt, I'll use a real spear; if I'm going camping and need firewood, I'll bring an ax; etc. However, if I were lost in the woods for weeks, the versatility of it would certainly come into play. It seems to hold an edge well, and for $20, if you break it...well, no big deal.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

Grizz wrote:thanks guys, sounds like a winner for the money

I like being able to fix it onto my hiking staffs

will check out that site and see if they still have them, thanks.

EDIT: well I missed it and now I don't want to pay up for it. fooooooey

Grizz
midway has them on sale. i just ordered one two days ago:

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?userSearc ... el+bushman
cable
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Have had one for 16 years.

Its pretty much my do it all camp knife for situations where i dont want to get my nicer stuff dirty --- kept it on my web gear when i still had reason to wear that stuff

This might sound blasphemous, but i like it better than a K-BAr . I've used mine for skinning chores as well, but a smaller gut hook folder works better for me for that. i'd never hammer the back of a KBAr to get it through a piece of wood, but i have my Bushman, with no ill effects. Used it to show a bunch of guys how to make a field expedient shelter at a military class i was teaching many times

Just a stone reliable, ugly piece of kit that you never have to worry about. I have the original blade and never once yearned for the bowie profile, but i may be missing out, who knows

I bought a couple more on ebay a few years back to stow away in case i ever lose mine. I rarely say "buy with confidence" but i will with this knife -- if you need a knife in this category that is
----- Doug
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Doug and All

thanks for the info, that's good to know. just hoping the steel is as good as Doug's older models. I suppose a person could retemper them some if the steel is decent.

THANK YOU
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Re: looking for knife info UPDATE

Post by Grizz »

Knife in today's mail. I put a short handle on it, about 14". It came with a warning label on it! Something about it being carbon steel and it can rust. !! Imagine that. Oh, also it said to keep the knife oiled to prevent rust.

I'm waiting for the plackard that says: inhale. exhale. inhale, etc.

I'm glad I have it, it has multiple personalities depending on how long the shaft is or how much paracord I wrap, etc. Fun for me.

Thanks to all for the assistance rendered!
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

?
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

I have never made mine into a spear ! :oops: -- That actually looks darn cool Grizz! :D Gives the rudimentary hollow handle more of a purpose i think , than just wrapping it with duct tape so you can hold matches and fishing line
----- Doug
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Mescalero wrote:?
I'll see your ? and raise you: ? ?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

It is obvious I got lost somewhere.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Mescalero wrote:It is obvious I got lost somewhere.
OK. I'll start over.

I bought a knife.

It has a hollow handle.

I put a stick in it.

The knife had a warning label on it.

I commented about that a little.

Does this help?

:lol: :lol: :lol: