My pops J.P.Sauer

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

My pops J.P.Sauer

Post by 6pt-sika »

The newest acquisition !

A J.P.Sauer drilling in 12 , 12 and 7x57R !

Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Re: My pops J.P.Sauer

Post by 6pt-sika »

It took me about a month to get the seller and my father together on the price :roll:

Now I'll get it a test run tommorrow if the weather stays nice !
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Nice.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Very Nice ! Ya gotta love that Old World craftsmanship !

I once had a much earlier Sauer (about 15 years ago), in short-chambered 16x16x 7X57R, which I bought for "only" $1600 - that gave me my "drilling edumakation".

Some noob had D/T'd the top rib for a scope rail, not present, but a drilling expert kindly pointed out (AFTER I bought it) that I had missed that the top rib was slightly separated from the bbls as a result of either the D/T job or recoil/weight of a scope putting too much oomph on the joint.

Mine shot pretty good, with some S&B 7x57R, I picked up at a funshow.

Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Sweet 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Very very nice.
What year was it made?
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Pete44ru wrote:Very Nice ! Ya gotta love that Old World craftsmanship !

I once had a much earlier Sauer (about 15 years ago), in short-chambered 16x16x 7X57R, which I bought for "only" $1600 - that gave me my "drilling edumakation".

Some noob had D/T'd the top rib for a scope rail, not present, but a drilling expert kindly pointed out (AFTER I bought it) that I had missed that the top rib was slightly separated from the bbls as a result of either the D/T job or recoil/weight of a scope putting too much oomph on the joint.

Mine shot pretty good, with some S&B 7x57R, I picked up at a funshow.

We have a rather nice Kerner 16-16 and 7x57R as well !
I plan to take this one and the Kerner out and fire them both with some factory RWS we got with this drilling !
It's only 17 factory rounds in the box but that should be plenty for me to load . I already have 7x57 dies and the shell holder for the 416 Rigby seems to hold them well enough . So once I shoot up the ammo I should be able to get a decent load with the Nosler 140 BT or the Honrady 139 SST .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

casastahle wrote:Very very nice.
What year was it made?
Dunno , when I first saw it about a year ago I was thinking early 50's to mid 60's . Also being 12 gauge kinda makes me think that as well .
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

6pt-sika wrote:
What year was it made?
Dunno , when I first saw it about a year ago I was thinking early 50's to mid 60's . Also being 12 gauge kinda makes me think that as well .
That and it has a Safety.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Old Ironsights wrote:
6pt-sika wrote:
What year was it made?
Our Kerner 16-16-7x57R has a safety also and that was a GI bring home after WWII .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

We have an Antonio Zoli combo 12 gauge and 7x57R I think I'll take tommorrow and try the rifle barrel on paper with the RWS loads :wink:
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

6pt-sika wrote:
Old Ironsights wrote:
6pt-sika wrote:
What year was it made?
Our Kerner 16-16-7x57R has a safety also and that was a GI bring home after WWII .
Really?

Mine was a WWII bring-home too, but it's a bit older... 'teens I'm guessing. No safety.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Old Ironsights wrote: Mine was a WWII bring-home too, but it's a bit older... 'teens I'm guessing. No safety.
The old Kettner 16-16-10.75x65R Collath we have with the hammers doesn't have a safety . That was a GI WWII bring home also . It kinda plays into my hand to be somewhere , where alot of that type stuff surfaces !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Tommorrow at the range I'll have the Kettener , Kerner and Sauer !

I'll try to remmember to take a group picture for you .
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

Awesome find!

Eric
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Pitchy wrote:Sweet 8)
+1
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

:mrgreen:
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Very nice indeed
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Now that's pretty!!!
Old Law Dawg
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Love it! :mrgreen:
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

I once had the luck to handle one of Hermann Goering's personal drillings (papered, authenticated, WW2 confiscation from his estate) in 16/16 and one of the 9.3mm rounds, not sure which one.

The action had loosened up enough that it was not considered safe to fire, but it still pointed like your finger and handled spectacularly well.

For the purpose they were created for, the drilling makes sense, and with a selection of shotgun ammunition to go with the rifle, with care you can handle most any situations. One rifle followed by two slugs or buck for dangerous game, or both barrels for birds, etc.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Lovely!!

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

MrMurphy wrote:For the purpose they were created for, the drilling makes sense, and with a selection of shotgun ammunition to go with the rifle, with care you can handle most any situations. One rifle followed by two slugs or buck for dangerous game, or both barrels for birds, etc.

While that is basically true , the pair we have with the rifle barrel being 7x57R . The shotgun barrels are a bit to tight for decent bird shooting and not the best for 00 Buck either . But we shall see in an hour or two how they both do with buck at 25 yards :wink:
And quite possibly Brenneke slugs in the 12 gauge if my friend remmembers to bring a couple 8)
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

I have a 7mm Mauser, it'll handle most European game without issue. :)
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Todays results with the drillings and combo gun were pretty satisfying !

I had the Kettner hammer drilling 16-16-10.75x65R Collath , the Sauer 12-12-7x57R , the Kerner 16-16-7x57R and the Zoli 12-7x57R with me today .

Shot the Kettner first with my new handloads using the modified 405 WIN brass at 50 yards and clocked them as well . Load averaged 1550 FPS with a 207 grain lead bullet and 16.5 grains of Unique out of the 26.75" barrel .

The sauer with the Rottewial factory ammo did this at 50 yards and averaged 2482 FPS from a 23.75" barrel .

The Kerner with the same 7x57R ammo averaged 2471 FPS also from a 23.75" barrel .

And finally the Zoli 7x57R combo gun averaged 2530 FPS from a 25.75" barrel with the same ammo .

From the front ;
Kettner
Sauer
Kerner
Zoli

Shot some of my handloaded 16 gauge low pressure with 12 #1 Buck loads in the Kerner on paper at 25 yards and they shot really well from both barrels . I was surprised as tight as the thing is choked .

I tried some Winchester Supreme 12 gauge 2 3/4" copper plated 00 Buck in the Sauer and the Zoli and all three barrels proved to shoot a nice tight pattern at 25 yards plenty good enough for deer and again I was surprised .

I also tried Brenneke 2 3/4" slugs in the Sauer . The left barrel is dead on at 25 and 50 yards but the right barrel is wide right at both distance . That kinda leads me to believe they wanted you to shoot buck in the right barrel and a slug in the left barrel .

All in all a rather informative range session !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

MrMurphy wrote:I have a 7mm Mauser, it'll handle most European game without issue. :)
"If" and it's a mighty big if , if I ever go to europe to hunt it'll be for Sika and or Roe deer . And "if" I take my own rifle it'll be my little Remington Model 7 stainless synthetic in 260 REM with the 3-9 Swarovski on top .

I have had several 7x57 rimless rifles in the past and all shot well and killed well . Well they did when they shot my handloads using the Nosler 140 grain BAllistic Tip .
Old Shatterhand
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Old Shatterhand »

6pt-sika wrote:
What year was it made?
In the beginning of the fifties, I would suggest. That "Vorm" in the maker's name indicates that it is from the early fifties when the kommunists expropiated the private firms in East Germany and soon grounded the Thälmann-Werke which continued the manufacturing. "Vorm" stands for "vormalig" which means "previous". Supposedly is the drilling built with pre-war parts, and the model number should be 30 or 32.

Older german gus are often easy to date. Look for a three or four digit number among the barrel stamps, the proof date stamp. The two last digits indicate year, the first month - e.g. 153 is January -53, 1157 November -57.

A fairly nice drilling, indeed! :)

Pete
Winchester model 88 .308 WCF
Winchester model 71 .348 WCF
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Old Shatterhand wrote:
6pt-sika wrote:
What year was it made?
In the beginning of the fifties, I would suggest. That "Vorm" in the maker's name indicates that it is from the early fifties when the kommunists expropiated the private firms in East Germany and soon grounded the Thälmann-Werke which continued the manufacturing. "Vorm" stands for "vormalig" which means "previous". Supposedly is the drilling built with pre-war parts, and the model number should be 30 or 32.

Older german gus are often easy to date. Look for a three or four digit number among the barrel stamps, the proof date stamp. The two last digits indicate year, the first month - e.g. 153 is January -53, 1157 November -57.

Pete
I'd say we're flush with drillings now as I have another old hammer gun as well , and that Zoli combo gun . Although a nice old Merkel or Sauer combo gun would be cool .

But I'm thinking we need one Vierling and possibly a O/U double rifle in something like 6.5x57R or 7x57R :wink:

The Vierling would be most cool in 16-16 , 6.5x57R and 22 Hornet 8)
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

http://tinyurl.com/250-meter-shot

Using the IMG code wouldn't work, so if that link doesn't work.....sorry.

Myself at 250m.

S&B 173 grain load. This is a Chilean or Brazilian 1894 Mauser (same as a '93 Mauser just not built for Spain) sporterized somewhere around 40-50 years ago as estimated by a gunsmith who knows his Mausers, we couldn't get the scope mount off to see the markings. It did shoot better with the heavier load (as the previous owner theorized) and while the lighter 139 or so grain stuff did okay the 173's grouped much better as it replicates the issued loading just in softpoints.

This shot was with a Burris 3-9X at 250 meters on a LaRue resetting target. Zeroed at 100m it had about five or six inches of drop (the spotter confirmed a chest hit and I was aiming for the forehead). The two LaRue's are actually left of the white targets, they're hard to see.

7mm Mauser killed a load of elephants, and it'll do as well as a .270 on most game. Used properly, it'll whack anything you should be chasing with the caliber. Previous owner has a few hundred rifles and has already been to Africa, his next trip, he's taking one of his double rifles (if he had a drilling, he'd bring it........) and he told me if I ever do Africa as he did, for the wide variety of antelope, the 7X57 would 'more than do'. His first trip was an 8mm-06 and a .308 or possibly a 7mm Rem. Magnum I believe. 18 different species of African game from Impala and Eland down and none required a second shot except as insurance i.e "is it REALLY dead?"
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

So pretty and makes me so sad. 11-12 years ago I passed on a Sauer 16x16x6.5x57R for $1200, maybe less. (AND I had the money at the time which is the real shocker)
"Where would I get ammo for that crazy thing?" Stupid.

Especially since a couple years later I ended up owning a 6.5x57R anyway.
Slow is just slow.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Old Shatterhand wrote:
6pt-sika wrote:
What year was it made?

Pete
So, you would say that this one is probably Jan 1927, or Jan(?) 1914?

So far I've been told that the 'teens is probably when it was made...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

you owe me a new keyboard......mines all wet...for obvious reasons!

man thats nice!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Old Shatterhand
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Old Shatterhand »

Old Ironsights wrote:So, you would say that this one is probably Jan 1927, or Jan(?) 1914?
---
So far I've been told that the 'teens is probably when it was made...
Made in January -14, reproofed by som reason in January -27.

It is a 9,3x72R, which was made for 14.6 grams (225 grs) cast lead bullets - BLG, Bleigeschoss. Supposedly it was nitroproofed in -27, as the 9.3x72R originally was a black powder cartridge.

Pete
Winchester model 88 .308 WCF
Winchester model 71 .348 WCF