Evening visitor- lion pics

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Evening visitor- lion pics

Post by TedH »

Got these in an email from a buddy in Idaho. Here's what it said.

Thank Goodness for the plate glass in the door! And, wouldn't this mess up your whole night if you were to take out the trash at the wrong time?
These are from Bob ******** in Grangeville Idaho . The pictures were taken from his kitchen onto his patio deck. The critter was watching his 2 old dogs playing on the kitchen floor! If you have any squirrels or old cats you don't want he will take them from you. I don't think they will be playmates for the big cat.

If I were in that situation, that cat would be history. Seems to have lost it's fear of humans.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

I read that they have so many nerves in their incisors, that they attack from the rear and separate the second and third vertebrae, cutting the spine without breaking a bone.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Evening visitor- lion pics

Post by Andrew »

TedH wrote: If I were in that situation, that cat would be history. Seems to have lost it's fear of humans.
+1 :shock:

Shoot. Shovel. Shut up.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Yeah.. the last foto would have a bullet hole in the glass if that was my place..
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Evening visitor- lion pics

Post by awp101 »

TedH wrote:If you have any squirrels or old cats you don't want he will take them from you. I don't think they will be playmates for the big cat.
Sure they would! He/she'd play with them 'til they didn't move anymore! :lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
lever-4-life
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lever-4-life »

I one was deer hunting During an early snow storm. I spent the night in the cab of my truck under the shelter of a douglas fur and when I woke up around 6:00 the next morning I was looking right out the windshield at a sleeping tom!! It looked just like a huge house cat dose when they decide to make your truck's hood into a bed. I guess he thought he had found a nice warm place to sleep through the storm :shock: . I started the truck and he took off like a rocket, He didn't look as serous as this fellow though, Looks like a job for the ole' 30wcf!!
Break on through to the other side!!!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Ben_Rumson wrote:Yeah.. the last foto would have a bullet hole in the glass if that was my place..
I would have hearing damage and a damaged door... and a dead kitty.

But probably no pictures except for the CSI shots.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Marlin .35
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Marlin .35 »

If I had that sight on my back porch, I would have to shoot. I agree, that cat has lost his fear of humans. When you take out the garbage, be heavily armed. He or she will not go away by themselves since it has got that close to the house. You have some serious vvarmit hunting to do!!!!!Art
Dead Calm is alive and well!!!!!!!
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

Those are cool pics.
We have bobcats here, but nothing like that in my neighborhood.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Ted, don't you still have that elephant gun? that would have been a fine trophy for it. :D
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

I agree. He or she is a danger to you and your family. I would see if I could pick up its tracks or get some help from a hound owner and take that cat down. The sooner the better.
"That'll Be The Day"
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Yep. I love cats - especially big cats, and wouldn't shoot one myself (I know I'm in the minority here! :wink: ). I don't have a problem with others hunting them though. Still, had that been my house, I'd make an exception - any big cat that comfortable coming up to my house is a danger to everyone...
Gun Runner

Post by Gun Runner »

Got the same photos from a friend in WI.
If it had been my house 9 steel ball bearings (the size of 00 buck) would have gone thru the glass at the same time.

Gun Runner
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

Ysabel Kid, I'm a lot like you. I have seen Mountain Lions on my lease as they traveled through the place. Many times they go right past the cattle. They are looking for an easier kill. If they hang around and are sizing up a calf or young cow, that's a different story. It does not happen often maybe once or twice a year. They stay mostly in Core Land where it is rough and not many two legged animals venture into. This one has already killed in the area probably some local pet or young stock and is getting to like it. He would like to get at your old dogs wrestling on the floor. If that is not available then you or a member of your family is the next best thing. They will wait for days for the right moment to take a non-expecting prey. Most of the time you will hear them at night if they are in the area and hungry. There is no mistaking their sound. I'm not trying to alarm you. You may already know what I'm saying. I just thought I needed to say it.
"That'll Be The Day"
dbateman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dbateman »

man thats a big cat if that was on my verandah
Id be getting the 375 out
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Ben_Rumson wrote:Yeah.. the last foto would have a bullet hole in the glass if that was my place..
Man! That was good! I needed a good laugh------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Post by AndyM »

Andrew Posted: Shoot. Shovel. Shut up.
that is something I agree with - no way would I want that hanging around my front yard
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I Love the Big Cats but this one would have a dinner plate out back and He would disappear one nite. I wouldn't be looking over My shoulder for this Cat :shock: .Jim.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I love big cats too. I'd love to have one as a... well, not pet, but companion animal? But this is NOT the last thing I want to see...

:shock:

Edit: But then, this is what I get from my frisbie-catching, heeling, fetching, cat-chasing wanna-be dog that I rescued too...

Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

When ya live in the country, the country comes a visiting! :lol: Sure happens around here. :shock:
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Would you guys really destroy a window, scare the stuff out of the wife and kids in a panic to kill that cat? :?:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Hobie wrote:Would you guys really destroy a window, scare the stuff out of the wife and kids in a panic to kill that cat? :?:
Absolutely. I might not be home the next time it came back.

A door and frightened kids is cheaper than a burial.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I would not destroy the window or the glass door in an effort to kill this cat. But I would do something to scare the him off. This is one of those instances that he shouldn't be there, but in my mind has not yet done anything worth the death penalty.
Besides, he might rid the neighborhood of the antagonizingly annoying barking dogs.

My wife was quite impressed with the pictures. I was too, I just wished the home owner had kept his window glass cleaner.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I wouldn't shoot through the door, but I would kill it.

Big cats are a danger. Period.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Ridgerunner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ridgerunner »

definate situation for an 870 full of 00 buck.....
Confederately yours,

Ridgerunner
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Grizzly Adams wrote:When ya live in the country, the country comes a visiting! :lol: Sure happens around here. :shock:
+1
I'd rather have that on my porch than some of the City Trash looking for something to steal. The cat sure would make a nicer rug! :wink:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
cvarcher
Levergunner 2.0

When you live in the big country you have to expect this

Post by cvarcher »

sort of thing once in a while.Here in the east we have Black bears coming into houses .Not often but it could . Hey an avalanche could come down and ruin your house or a forest fire too. Killing it doesnt guarantee next year another cat comes wandering around looking for food. I wonder if it smelled some food cooking or garbage nearby. In either case I would always have a handgun on the hip all day everyday.
3t-
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 3t- »

Yep Ridgerunner,

You just ease the door open and stick the double-barrel through the opening and let her rip...both barrels if you want. You will have a kill before the cat can leave the patio.

I should know as I have absolutely no experience with this situation. :shock: But it sure sounds like a plan to me :lol:
regards

3T
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Hobie wrote:Would you guys really destroy a window, scare the stuff out of the wife and kids in a panic to kill that cat? :?:

I wouldn't shoot through the door to kill it, but I would come up with a plan to eliminate it safely. Those big cats aren't scared of people. They just look at us as another meal. They are shy and very reclusive most of the time, but they're not scared of us. That 7 1/2 foot cat in my avatar photo sat and watched me for two or three minutes before I killed him. There was no fear in his eyes at all, and I got a good look at him. Sends chills down my spine still.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

game keeper wrote: I'd rather have that on my porch than some of the City Trash looking for something to steal. The cat sure would make a nicer rug! :wink:
Nah, keep the cat around and pretty soon you'll have yerself a "City Trash" rug...:lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

I've "read" that cat in about a half a dozen different states now over the last few years, but they are still some interesting photos.
Slow is just slow.
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

The one down side to shooting through the glass door, is that if you didn't kill him on the porch, you now have an open house that will remain open until the glass can get fixed or you can get plywood in the morning. I'm not too sure that busting out your barrier between him and your family is such a good idea.

I could see the 000 Buck losing its steam enough through the glass to not kill him...and now you have a wounded or POed animal on your hands with an avenue in.

Ed
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott64A »

Yeah, that door would have opened enough to let a barrel out and then I'd dispatch that cat.

No need to have my family or dogs turned into cougar turds.

:wink:
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Thank goodness for a levergun! :shock: Image
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

That cat in the earlier pictures is dangerous and needs to be removed from around the residence.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
SR James
Levergunner

Post by SR James »

Sorry to be a wet blanket, but the same pics went around about a year ago, only this time the location was supposedly here in OK, at Watonga (the date on this link and the above post indicates it's going around again).
I know toms have big territories, but this is ridiculous! According to Snopes, this cat has appeared on patios in dang near every state in the country. Still, I guess he did appear on at least one!

http://granan10.blogspot.com/2008/02/he ... kitty.html

http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/pa ... inlion.asp
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Still, I guess he did appear on at least one!
I'm thinkin' that would be the point.

:wink:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

I wouldn't care where all he'd been. If I didn't have a loaded levergun handy, I'd still have my .45 Vaquero loaded with 250 gr. jacketed soft hollow points doing about 1350 fps. handy. I doubt I'd have to shoot twice.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

As for scaring the wife........ she pretty much expects me to do stuff like that. She's from town, and thinks I'm nuts.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
dodge
Levergunner

Post by dodge »

I've seen the same photos about 5 years ago and was suppose to be from around Woodhull, N.Y. I live just across the state line from there and there is always rumors about the big cats here in Pa and N.Y. going around.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Ysabel Kid wrote:Yep. I love cats - especially big cats, and wouldn't shoot one myself (I know I'm in the minority here! :wink: ). I don't have a problem with others hunting them though. Still, had that been my house, I'd make an exception - any big cat that comfortable coming up to my house is a danger to everyone...
I agree exactly on that - no need to kill a fine critter if it's on it's own turf doing what comes natural, but when it is taking a liking to hanging out by your back door, it obviously wants to rumble.

I'd introduce it to my friend, Mr. Casull. Or perhaps Mr. Mossberg.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Quick Karl

Post by Quick Karl »

No matter where that photo is from or when it was taken, I would bait that cat and blast it, and it would be a rug.

Any cat that big coming near any residence, much less fearless enough to actully be photographed, is trouble waiting for a time to happen.