Fact, Or Old Wives Tale??

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Fact, Or Old Wives Tale??

Post by Blaine »

Exposing a bit of lead on a FMJ makes it "better". Seems like it works on JSPs :? I see they are making some FMJs with the flat top for a bit of meplat. The Buffalo Bore .45acps with that penetrate about twice their regular FMJ rounds...I have some Winchester .38Spc, and some .380s like that.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Fact, Or Old Wives Tale??

Post by tman »

Elmer Keith always liked a lot of exposed lead up front.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

tman wrote:Elmer Keith always liked a lot of exposed lead up front.
:lol: That is true.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

tman wrote:Elmer Keith always liked a lot of exposed lead up front.
Ya think? :roll:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

For some reason .40 S&W FMJs from most makers have tended to be flat pointed like that. Not sure why, but I've always thought that it makes 'em perfect for a lever gun! :D

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

My Dad used to 'dimple' the bullets he loaded into the .32 S&W snubby that he preferred for carry in the belief that they would "make a mess."

Isn't yhe working theory that exposing lead on a FMJ or otherwise compromising the jacket facilitates expansion or explosiveness (fragmentation?)

If you don't have the coin at hand to purchase bullets or cartridges that are actually designed to expand, folks have been doing it for years, but I'm supposing that the results are unpredictable.

:?:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
guntar
Levergunner 1.0

Post by guntar »

With some types of "FMJ" bullets this might not be too good an idea. Many FMJ bullets are basically copper cups filled with lead, and the base of the cup forming the nose of the bullet and the open end forming the base. When you start taking metal off the nose, you are basically making a tube with lead inside. Evidently this was a common practice in Africa in the early 1900's, and John Taylor talks about it in one of his books. Evidently there was a tendency, due to friction with the bore. for the copper "tube" to separate from the lead core and remain in the barrel, causing an obstruction for the next shot. I don't know how common this problem was, but it doesn't seem worth the risk, even if it does help expansion.
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

Filing the nose off a FMJ bullet to expose lead can lead to big problems. If the base is not enclosed you can shoot out the lead and leave the jacket in the bore. I saw this the first time with a GI 45 with a badly bulged barrel. On a TMJ it can be done safely but I have never gotten any better expansion. This is why the old W/W soft point 9mm's were discontinued, they didn't expand. But then again a LOT of hllow point bullets don't expand either depending on what you shoot them into.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I've never done it as of yet, but I shoot a lot of FMJ and I see lots of jackets laying around the target....jacket coming off, and lead penetrating. I've had a piece of the jacket come back and gash me a couple times, as well :oops:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I read just what guitar posted as a warning against using Wolf brand hollow points in some calipers. It seems they were just taking a standard fmj bullet and drilling a hole in the nose.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

At one time there was a device, called the Hanned device, to remove a little bit of the nose of FMJ .30-06 rounds. It has disappeared from circulation, and I wonder of jacket to core separation is what caused its demise.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost