Pictures from the TX hog hunt

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
piller
Posting leader...

Pictures from the TX hog hunt

Post by piller »

Here are some pictures from the recent TX hog hunt. Strangely enough, there were more than just hogs hunted. Oh well, it was fun.
Image Sorry for this one being sideways, I tried but this is my first time sharing pics and I'm not sure what I did wrong.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

Lord....I need to go hunting soon.

Nice pics....it looks like everyone had a good time.

Wm
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Thanks for the pic's, I really like the one with Joe getting some. Too funny. :twisted:
Old Law Dawg
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

kimwcook wrote:Thanks for the pic's, I really like the one with Joe getting some. Too funny. :twisted:

:D :D
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Hey, that guy in the first two pics sure is a good looking fellow. But he didn't get any KISSES. :lol: :lol:
Ricky

DWWC
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Hey piller, You need to write up a story on getting that big buff and post it for us. That thing was HUGE!!!
Ricky

DWWC
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Man those Texas hogs have big horns !! :D
Wes
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wes »

Looks like a fun trip! Up to my a** in snow here and wishing I coulda gone with you. I'd sure like to know about the rifles and animals. Fill us in if you would.
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

RKrodle wrote:Hey, that guy in the first two pics sure is a good looking fellow. But he didn't get any KISSES. :lol: :lol:
Well sheesh Rick, all ya had to do was ask. :lol: :wink:
Last edited by GANJIRO on Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Didn't know those Texas hog hunts got so lonely! :shock:
Rhys.94.375
Levergunner

Post by Rhys.94.375 »

come on mate, what rifles an what calibres were used :)
PPpastordon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by PPpastordon »

No wonder my hog hunts are all failures. Ain't never seen no hogs that looked like those! Didn't even know they had horns. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good pics. Enjoyed seeing the hunters and the game. Obviously those "OT" hogs are easier to find than the regular versions.

Grace and Peace.
Pastordon
Pastordon's Blog
The man who thinks he knows something does not yet know as he ought to know. (1 Cor. 8:2)
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Thanks for the offer JI :lol: .

The ram was taken with a BLR in 358 win using a 200gr Hornady SP over 40 grs of 4198.

That runt sized Texas hog :D was taken by piller using his 92 in 480 Ruger. I don't know his load.
Ricky

DWWC
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

That Junior sized hog was taken with a 400 grain Speer Gold Dot pushed by 19.8 grains of H. Lil Gun (Speer Manual lists 20.0 as max). I recovered 2 nicely mushroomed bullets, and 1 very torn up. The meat is real lean, and tastes great. The rifle was a Legacy Arms Puma 92. It was fun, and a little scary. Joe backing me up with a .45-70, and Mike (the guy laughing at the right as Richard clowned with Joe) was backing us up with a Bowen made Ruger Redhawk conversion in .50 Linebaugh with Mike's company's Grizzly Cartridges in a 500 grain long flat nose. We had a lot of fun. Ricky and Ji, you need to post your pictures and tell about them. Joe, you need to tell about your trophy, too. Maybe, Tycer, Mike, Bill, and the others can tell about their hunts, too. Can we get Linc to tell about how convincing George was.
D. Brian Casady
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Hey piller, I posted my story and some pics here.

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... highlight=
Ricky

DWWC
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Thanks Ricky, I just read it.

The story on the Water Buffalo is that Joe and I were in the truck with Mike and I think it was Bill. We saw the Buff and I wanted it. I called my wife and asked if I could spend the money for it. She said yes and I asked Joe if the .480 Ruger would do the job. He asked what I had it loaded with and I told him. Mike said that it should work. Joe and I got out of the truck and tried to skalk to where it was last seen. As we moved up, he told me to have a round in the chamber, the hammer back and be ready to shoot. We got to the area and it had moved a little. I think it was Mike who saw it first and pointed it to us. This all happened in an adrenalin fog, so if I get a detail wrong maybe Joe or Mike can correct me. The buff was almost sideways to us, and when it saw us it started to move. Joe yelled "Shoot, Shoot" and I put 2 or 3 rounds through its ribcage and Joe put one in angling from below the left ribs toward the right side of its neck. Mike was backing us up and said he saw dust puff on the other side of the buff a couple of times. It ran off and we piled back in the truck to look for it. We saw it and it started to charge. I was trying to get my rifle pointed out the window and Mike didn't see the sense in letting it get to us, so he hit it a couple of times with his Bowen made .50 Linegaugh. It seemed like forever, though it couldn't have been more than a couple of seconds and I got on target and put a couple of rounds in also. The buff ran off again and we looked for it. It was lying down in some brush. Joe and I got out and moved in to finish it. Joe kicked a dirt clod toward it and the buff tried to get to its feet. Man it was fast. We started shooting and didn't stop until it fell on its side. I think I fired 12 or 13 total shots. Joe put in about 5 total form that .45-70 and Mike put in 4 or 5. That was one tough buffalo. It took me a while to stop shaking afterward. The .480 Ruger cartridge is about bare minimum or maybe a little less than that for something like a Water Buffalo when hunted by someone who is nervous and excited. I don't know if I hit every shot. Mike and Joe are great to have backing you up. Mike also gave me some help in how to work up a load with a little more power for the carbine I was using. When I can make time to work up the load I will post my results. Since I got back I have worked 40 hours of overtime. I think the flu has targeted my fellow Pharmacists, and I am one of the few (un)lucky ones to stay healthy.
D. Brian Casady
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Great story piller!!! Hope to get something that big myself someday.
Ricky

DWWC
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Piller got the buffalo hunt described pretty good. That buffalo was the only one on the ranch but it had taken a liking to two baby watusi that it was very protective of. When Piller decided he wanted it, we went back to the lodge to get the proper gear. Those buffs are serious business. Mike, Piller and I returned. We stalked on foot for 100 yards or so. The buff was lying down waiting for the watusi to leave. Once the watusi were in the brush the buff stood and I told Piller to shoot. I saw his first two shots hit and he fired a third. As the buff started off, I put a 405gr PUNCH bullet into it. We searched for a half hour or so and found the buff lying in the brush about 250 yards from where we first encountered it. The animal started to come and Piller was the first to put two rounds in it. I kicked some dirt to test the critters demeanor and it turned to come at us again. Piller hit it two more times and Mike shot 4 - 500 Linebaughs. I put three quick rounds in - all 405 gr Kodiak bullets. The meat processor told me he found two 480 bullets that were tore up. He also found two 458 Kodiaks that made nice mushrooms. Piller did a good job following instructions, standing his ground and staying on the trigger until the animal went down. We then performed little ritual where we gave the buff its last meal of grass and said a prayer.

As far as my Ibex, Richard told me there was one with the goats. He wasnt sure how it got there. I stalked the goats and Ibex for about an hour. They were always clumped up too tight to shoot. Finally, they started crossing a trail single file about 50 yards out. I put the bead on the Ibex and followed through like shooting a shotgun. THe 405gr Kodiak made a nickle sized entry and a quarter sized exit. The Ibex ran about 30 yards and fell dead. It was the first and only goat shot that I have been around that didn't smell. It must have had great personal hygiene.
Richard is one of my best friends and he obviously likes me a lot.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

All in all, that hunt was one of the memories that will last a lifetime. I am taking my daughter there next year after high school graduation. She wants to hunt an elk, and once I get my vacation time for it, I hope Joe can be there to guide her. Richard has a great place. To everyone who was there, Thanks for making it a great time.
D. Brian Casady