Leverguns don't need glass-bedding...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Leverguns don't need glass-bedding...

Post by AJMD429 »

...or so some folks say...! Starting out with a 10/22, my weekend projects naturally led me to my Ruger 96/22 (the lever-action 'companion' to the semiauto 10/22).

Anyway, I mixed up some of the 'Score-High Pro-Bed 2000' from MidwayUSA, and bedded a 10/22 last week. It seemed to help shrink groups, so I dug around in my parts drawer for the 'competition trigger kit' I knew I'd bought years ago.

I added a Power Custom 'competition' Trigger Kit (Hammer, Sear, Trigger, Buffer, Shims, Springs) for the final touch, and was very pleased. A fair chunk of change for the trigger kit, but not much for the bedding kit, and they both seemed to improve accuracy markedly (ten shots in a ragged hole at 25 yards, and 4" gong at 100 yards 9 of 10 times 8) ).

Since I was on a roll, I bedded my son's Remington 788, filled in a defect in my Ruger Bisley grips, and bedded my Ruger 96 lever-action suppressed 'newbie' gun, which is a tack-driver anyway (now it also shoots just as well, if not better, as the 10/22 - I'll have to put a scope on it to tell for sure, but in 'newbie' mode it sports a red-dot holosight).

For anyone who has been intimidated by the 'if you mess up, your stock will need chiseled from your action' factor regarding glass-bedding, I'd say the Pro-Bed 2000 kit makes it almost childishly easy. You'll do best if you also have a Dremel tool for creating pockets in the stock for the bedding compound.

Granted, most two-piece levergun stocks aren't really all that amenable to the bedding process, but many of you have bolt-guns or others that could be really improved with a simple 30-minute bedding project. Try it...!

Believe me, if I can't screw it up, you can't either...! :lol: :oops:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ysabel Kid

Re: Leverguns don't need glass-bedding...

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Adding yet another project to an already very long list! :?
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I glass bedded my '86.
Course I had to since somebody had badly installed new wood. Dyed the glass to match and ended up with a fine job.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
foxtrapper
Levergunner 2.0

Post by foxtrapper »

I agree :D Glass bed the stock and never have those fine splits that emanate from the tang.