What is a good target .22 pistol?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

What is a good target .22 pistol?

Post by FatJackDurham »

I am trying to decide what to buy for a target .22 pistol. I've been looking into several options. I've seen and shot a couple of Browning Buckmarks, and they seem very nice. I also just saw a new Rugar Mark III that is made of a very light alloy. Finally, I also saw a very nice Sig 1911-22.

So, I wanted to solicite some opinions from people who have owned one or all three. What are the pro's and cons of these guns?
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Re: What is a good target .22 pistol?

Post by RIHMFIRE »

I have a cheap S&W model 22a, 7" barrel...tons of fun...and pretty accurate...
it all depends how much cash you want to spend..........
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

The Rugers are very good. Lots of options, the 22/45 seems pretty popular, but I prefer the more "traditional" regular Mark 3.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

You may need to define your needs a little better. A good "target pistol" with excellent accuracy or a good solid .22 semi?

The Brownings are very good, ditto for the Smiths. I'm still personally fond of the Rugers. Just my cheap opinion (you get what you pay for) the Ruger Mark III's came about to fix problems the Ruger Mark II's didn't have. Sort of like re-releasing a movie in special edition to get you to buy another copy.

I have a Mark I with custom grips and a bull barrel, it's more accurate than I am, even for me on a good day. Got one of the basic Mark II's, plastic grips and the 4 inch or so barrel that tapers down. It's still an excellent plinker. AS far as the last, I just wait till it gets so dirty inside that it has feeding rounds and I'll hose it down with a spray can of WD-40 and one of the those little spray tubes. Speaks well for Mr. Ruger's design.

Buy a brick or two of ammo, cultivate friends, shoot a couple different brands and flavors. When you buy the one you like, buy several boxes of ammo and find out the brand it likes best.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I have two. A Colt Match Target and a 1959 vintage S&W Model 17.
Both are tack drivers.

Had an S&W Model 41 that was a super shooter. Should have kept that one.

When I was in the OSU Pistol Club we had a lot of High Standard autos. All excellent pistols.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
williamranks
Levergunner 3.0

Post by williamranks »

Baikal IZH35M. It was the Russian Olympic Team choice. Got mine a few years ago for $350. I see them used fairly often.
You can even adjust sear engagement. It shoots much better than I do. I made a set of flat grips for squirrel hunting.
To use the stock grips you hold it the left hand and fit the right hand into the grips, solid for targets but slow for hunting.

http://www.starreloaders.com/izh/pickle/izh35m.htm
Bill Ranks
I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Robert A. Heinlein
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

You can't go wrong with a Ruger MK.
The earlier MKII is preferable to the current MKIII.
The new ones have magazine safties and LCI .

I call my MKII 678 my "pocket rifle"

Jack
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

S&W 41 or if on a budget Browning Buckmark Target.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

It really depends on how serious of a target pistol you need. I have a Ruger Government Model Target that is very accurate. I have a good friend with a Browning Buckmark that I have a difficult time competing with. A S&W model 41 would be a very competitive pistol. The Sig 1911 is a fun, good looking pistol but really just a plinker, as are most .22 semi-autos. As for revolvers, I have a late '40s K22 and an early '30s Colt officers model target ( both 6" revolvers) that can hit anything if you are capable. If you are really just looking for a reasonably accurate .22 most of the Ruger Mk2 and Mk3 bull barrels or the Brownings are worth looking at.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

If I was going to bet money that I could hit a coke can @ 100yds with a .22 pistol, I'd use my MKII Government Model Target.....When I had a scope on it, it was one hole at 25yds and nearly so at 50....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I'm partial to the Rugers myself, but we all have our favorites. As far as the magazine safety that most people don't like, it can be done away with. You can also find lots of aftermarket parts to change what doesn't suit you.
Check out rimfirecentral.com and you can find the pros and cons of everything out there.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

My heavy barrel Ruger has an aftermarket trigger, it shoots better than I do.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Browning Medalist.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mac in Mo »

I have the Ruger MKII with the 5 1/2" bull barrel. It is very,very accurate. I don't have any formal target shooting experience, but this gun can get it done. Like someone else said, it has rifle like accuracy, in a pistol.

Kevin
Last edited by Mac in Mo on Wed May 02, 2012 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nicknack
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Nicknack »

I have an old High Standard Citation with an aftermarket 7'' barrel as well as the 5'' barrel, a great old pistol will shoot better than I'm capable of.Great takdown ,press the underneath button pull off the barrel and off comes the slide ,you can't beat simplicity.and i love the grip angle
I also have a 6 shot S&W Model 17 with a 6'' under lugged barrel, what a beautiful and accurate pistol.
It's dead easy to die; it's the keeping on living that's hard - Douglas Mawson - Scientist and polar survivor
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I bought a heavy barrel Ruger 22-45 a while back for my girlfriend to shoot. It's very accurate, but I don't care much for the trigger.
NRA Life Member
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

I have a Ruger Mk II with the 5" (?) bull barrel. I put
a Volquartsen target trigger kit in it, Hogue grips on it,
and later Volquartsen target grips on it. It is superbly
accurate.

The Hogue grips are decent for target shooting and VERY
good for hunting or plinking.

I've heard good things about that Baikal gun, too. One of the
fellas at the club was very competitive with one of them. Of
course, he's the sort of guy who would be competitive with
anything, but still!

-Stretch
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

check this out....
and then check out their high dollar 22 target pistols
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/ ... rrorView_Y
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

Can't go wrong with the Ruger.
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

The Ruger is my pick of the "affordable" 22LR's. I didn't care for the cheaper S&W's I've owned, but have several S&W 41's that are great guns.
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

I am very intrigued with the S&W 41. I believe I know where to get a used one for less than $600, but I need to make sure.

What is all this about after market triggers and barrels and such. Would it be cheaper to get a standard Ruger or Browning, and then upgrade the barrel and trigger to get a near match grade gun? Or is it better to spend the money on a match grade pistol?

The lightweight Ruger Mark III I saw looks an aweful lot like the Pac-Lite model I saw reviewed on Gun Blast. And I do enjoy tinkering. Maybe that's how I should go. Get a cheap but customizable gun.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Unquestionably the most accurate .22 LR handgun I've EVER fired is a Thompson Contender.
Contenders.jpg
Mine is definitely more accurate than most of the .22 LR rifles I've owned. If you don't mind the single-shot 'handicap' (if you hit what you're shooting at, you won't need a second shot), it is way fun and humbling to shoot, because if you miss, you know it isn't the gun's fault. That makes it great for honing your shooting skills. You can use the stock open sights, several varieties of 'peeps', and of course scopes and holosights. You can shoot them offhand, rested, or even from a bipod. You can get extra barrels chambered in just about anything. My favorites are .22 Hornet and .357 Maximum; I have a .223 Rem but mostly shoot .22 pellets out of it with a Convert-a-Pell.

If you haven't shot a Contender (whatever the chambering/barrel), you should try one; the triggers on them are awesome - as close to a 'double-set' trigger as you can get.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Rimfire target pistol accuracy is commensurate with quality, and ergo, cost - so it's best if you first define your needs, whether they be for formal target shooting (where you'll need the best), casual target shooting ( any "target" model will do), or hunting/plinking.

I've found the three choices you listed in your OP to be less than optimal for formal competition - the best being the S&W M41, the HS-Victor, & the Ruger MKII, in that order.

For informal target shooting, any of your choices will do (except the SIG plinker) - It's more of which feels better to YOU.

Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

I am partial to Ruger MK IIs. I have one that is stock except for a Volquartsen trigger kit and another that was put together by Clark Custom. The Clark has a Douglas barrel and match chamber, plus Clark's job on the action and trigger.

If you put the two on paper side by side, the Clark will shoot groups half the size of the factory Ruger. The difference is the barrel. The Clark costs double the price of the factory job and Volquartsen trigger. So you do get what you pay for, and you have to decide what you need and want.

The guys and gals I shot with in our Saturday 22 falling plate match use mostly Rugers, some Buckmarks and a Smith 42. Ours is a speed match with seven targets, so sixguns just won't cut it. We all use optical sights of one kind or another. Iron sights are just too slow.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

FatJackDurham wrote:I am very intrigued with the S&W 41. I believe I know where to get a used one for less than $600, but I need to make sure.

What is all this about after market triggers and barrels and such. Would it be cheaper to get a standard Ruger or Browning, and then upgrade the barrel and trigger to get a near match grade gun? Or is it better to spend the money on a match grade pistol?
If you can get a model 41 for $600 you ought to seriously consider getting that. Buying an inexpensive gun with the intent to upgrade it to " match grade" will end up costing you more than the $600. Once you own a really accurate pistol the plinkers aren't as much fun as they were before.
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

My Browning Buckmark is not a "target" pistol in the Olympic competition sense of the word, but for plinking, hunting, and casual range use, I love it. Mine is a Camper with the bull barrel and Firesight front sight. It loves the Winchester 333/555 bulk ammo. It will run all day long on it and is more accurate than I am with it.

I have replaced the one weak link of the Camper (not found on the higher grade Buckmarks), the rear sight mount. In the Camper it is plastic and will eventually break. I replaced mine with an aluminum aftermarket one that also doubles as a tactical Weaver rail. I tried it with a red dot scope, but went back to the open sights.

To me the Buckmark fits my hand perfectly and has balances just right. It also has an excellent trigger right out of the box.

I know Browning has made some high end competition target pistols that are highly sought after, but the Buckmark suites my needs.
Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! P Henry

When the Government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the Government, there is tyranny.T Jefferson