OT - Sights for A Bisley Vaquero

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

OT - Sights for A Bisley Vaquero

Post by Idiot »

I've been stalking a blue Ruger Bisley Vaquero chambered in 45 Colt with a 5.5 inch barrel in excellent condition. The only reason I haven't made it mine is I don't like the sights. I've used frame fixed sights before and although they're getting harder to see, I've been able to hit with them. However, the sights on the Vaquero combine a very small rear notch stuck within a rounded frame and a pretty thin blade up front. Its a pretty cruddy set-up.

Do you all know of any outfit that modifies these type of sights to make them a tad more useful?
moxgrove
Levergunner

Post by moxgrove »

I know Alpha precision will mill your vaquero and put S&W adjustable sights on for around 300 bucks. I would think there are other outfits that might be able to dovetail or mill that area flat and weld a bit of stock on there and cut in a dovetail for a higher profile rear sight.
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

BisVaq Sights

Post by Idiot »

Thanks moxgrove. I guess the short answer is "it can be fixed." I think I'd want it dovetailed with a drift adjustable stuck in the back, and a wider flat post out front.

I wonder if dovetailing affects the strength of the top strap of the frame. I'd imagine, less metal - less strength. The reason I want the Bisley Vaquero is because of its stout frame and ability to handle 45 Colt +P loads.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[ability to handle 45 Colt +P loads.]

Just take care, that it's an original Vaquero model, and not the later New Vaquero, which has the smaller .357-sized frame, and is rated for Colt SAA-type/level loads only, not +P.
The older Vaq is built on the .44 mag Super Blackhawk sized frame.
afish4570
Levergunner 2.0

Costs vs. practicality??

Post by afish4570 »

Probably makes sense to sell it and get a Ruger Blackhawk. I have an old flattop 44 mag that is great because I too can see the sights, smaller frame the newer models etc. If you spend to correct what you need you'll never get it back should you sell it....Just my thoughts!! For heavy mag loads I use my Redhawk.afish4570:roll: :roll:
afish4570
afish4570
Levergunner 2.0

Costs vs. practicality??

Post by afish4570 »

Probably makes sense to sell it and get a Ruger Blackhawk. I have an old flattop 44 mag that is great because I too can see the sights, smaller frame the newer models etc. If you spend to correct what you need you'll never get it back should you sell it....Just my thoughts!! For heavy mag loads I use my Redhawk.afish4570:roll: :roll:
afish4570
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Ask the folks over at singleactions.com. They know this stuff. Most have spent more on one of their guns than I've spent on half or more of mine. Good luck!
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
kentdep
Levergunner 1.0

Post by kentdep »

David Clements does sights for these and he does a great job.

Jay
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Idiot Posted:

I've been stalking a blue Ruger Bisley Vaquero chambered in 45 Colt with a 5.5 inch barrel in excellent condition. The only reason I haven't made it mine is I don't like the sights. I've used frame fixed sights before and although they're getting harder to see, I've been able to hit with them. However, the sights on the Vaquero combine a very small rear notch stuck within a rounded frame and a pretty thin blade up front. Its a pretty cruddy set-up.

Do you all know of any outfit that modifies these type of sights to make them a tad more useful?
Considering the expense of haveing the sights installed I'd suggest just buying a Bisley Blackhawk. Same grips, same frame, same size, but with the better sights.
Pete44ru Posted:

Just take care, that it's an original Vaquero model, and not the later New Vaquero, which has the smaller .357-sized frame, and is rated for Colt SAA-type/level loads only, not +P.
The older Vaq is built on the .44 mag Super Blackhawk sized frame.
Pete, the New Vaquero has not been offered in the Bisley configuration. Only the Vaquero has been. No need to worry about ammo capabilities.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

"Probably makes sense to sell it and get a Ruger Blackhawk."

+1
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
Guncase
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Guncase »

I couldn't hit anything with mine, and decided it was mostly the front sight that was the problem. I just wacked it off and made a barrel band with dovetail for it. Now I can hit pretty well with it. My favorite load is 300 grain LBT cast from Lyman #2 alloy, over 22 grains of H110. You can just feel the horsepower.
" I never went to college, but I sure paid for my education."
A favorite quote from my Grandfather.
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Hell, with that load, you can SEE The horsepower!
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
PaulB
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaulB »

The rounded back of the front sight causes reflections which makes for a poor (and varying, depending on sun angle) sight picture. Ross Seyfried used to advocate cutting a flat angle there to eliminate that rounded curve. I tried it once on a Bearcat using just a dremel tool and the side of a cut-off wheel, and cold-blued it, and that helped the sight picture quite a lot.
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

I tried "matte" finnishing the back of my SS sights with a diamond stone, but didn't get the desired results. I'm tempted to try the dremel method. Also thought of having something dark and flat inlayed into the back of the sight.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

blueroan
Levergunner 1.0

ANOTHER OPTION

Post by blueroan »

You might consider getting a replacement front sight from POWER CUSTOM. They have sights in .125 width and various heights that are identical in shape to factory. You would have to mill/file the width of the frame notch to match. Relatively simple, better sight picture AND still legal for SASS cowboy shooting.

Original Size VAQUEROS/BISLEY VAQUEROS in 357 and 44 are my current favorites, but their poor sights and yet-to-be-improved trigger pulls don't help a set of 59 year old eyes much. I need to do something, but the thought of $200 a gun to get this done is a consideration

GUNCASE's barrel band front sight sure looks good, but probably isn't SASS legal....if that is a problem.
When they said SHARPS, I always thought BIG 50!
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

BisVac Sights

Post by Idiot »

Thanks for the all the advise. As was pointed out, the Vaquero Bisley is on the same large frame as the New Model Blackhawk. Buffalo Bore says one can safely use its 45 +P ammo in it, Bowen and Linebaugh are using the same frame for high pressure 5-shot conversions, and this same Vaquero Bisley frame is offered in 44 Magnum (a high pressure cartridge). Running this thing full tilt will not be a problem. However, thanks Pete44ru for the warning. It made me do a double check. Better well read than dead.

I will check into the smiths and websites suggested and see what I can come up with. I sure like the front sight Guncase has installed - good work.

I really don't want another New Model or Super Blackhawk. I just happen to like the contours and graceful lines of the Vaquero (as compared to the effective and efficient and industrial and clunky lines of the NMBH). It will cost a bit to make the sights better, but after a few years of use, I'll forget about it - I have in the past. Again, thanks for the responses.
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Just re-countour the top of a Blackhawk. That's how the Vaquero came about, anyhow. You could do it in an hour or so with a mill file, then just start working it down with rubbing compound.

Just leave the sights alone.

As for the barrel band being SASS legal, that's subject to "who" you are. I've noticed a lot of the top shooters that are real publicity whores can pretty much show up with a Glock if they want to.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer