Suppressed Leverguns

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Irelander
Levergunner 2.0

Suppressed Leverguns

Post by Irelander »

Check out these suppressed leverguns from the AAC blog. I think my Rossi '92 .44MAG 16" needs an AAC TiRant45. Gets the wheels turning. 8)

http://www.aacblog.com/?p=11468

The time has come to stand for all we believe in.

Glock Certified Armorer
Washita
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Suppressed Leverguns

Post by Washita »

I wonder if they can actually use the sights with these boogers? The pics seem to show the suppressors being taller than the front sight.
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Washita,

This link will let you see the VERY LARGE, fullsized picture, and you can see the muzzle & front sights:

http://www.aacblog.com/wp-content/uploads/Lever_APA.jpg

Shawn
Last edited by Hagler on Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:12 am, edited 6 times in total.
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Irelander
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Irelander »

Washita wrote:I wonder if they can actually use the sights with these boogers? The pics seem to show the suppressors being taller than the front sight.
I am guessing that they need to have taller sights installed to see over the can, just like most centerfire pistols need tall "suppressor" sights. Many have commented that it is not hard to sight with normal sights given that you can still see the sights, you just have to sight through the can. I've tried it and it isn't too bad since the sights are just slightly lower than the top of the can. Just line up your sights as you normally would and place your intended target on of the the can. It may take a few tries to get right on target but with practice it is very precise.

Glock Certified Armorer
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

USFA was advertising that they were making the old style Maxim suppressor.....it is assymetric and 'hangs down' below the barrel a bit
would work well for a lever gun

dont know if they are actually making it for real
cable
Irelander
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Irelander »

hfcable wrote:USFA was advertising that they were making the old style Maxim suppressor.....it is assymetric and 'hangs down' below the barrel a bit
would work well for a lever gun

dont know if they are actually making it for real
Silencerco makes the Osprey suppressor which is eccentric design.
http://www.silencerco.com/?section=Products&page=Osprey
Some pistols may need tall sights and some may not. Anyhow, its a great suppressor design.

Glock Certified Armorer
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Why?

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Irelander
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Irelander »

Why what?

Glock Certified Armorer
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Nath wrote:Why?

Nath.
WHAT? Speak up son!
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Irelander
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Irelander »

Nath.
If you are asking "Why put a suppressor on a levergun?", all I have to say is...if you haven't hunted with a suppressed firearm or even shot a suppressed firearm, then you won't understand. I highly recommend trying it and see how you like it.

Glock Certified Armorer
1894c

Post by 1894c »

aaarrrrrrrggggggghhhhhhh.... :(
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I've been working with my circa 1966 Retro 444P with the 19" barrel to get sub sonic loads with the Ranch Dog 432-300GC and Trailboss in anticipation of chopping another one to 19" and threading the barrel for a suppressor !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

There fun to watch someone shoot golf balls with blanks out of a 223

ollogger
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Nath.
Stealth! 8) :P
Have you hugged your rifle today?
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

What a great idea.

Adding an accessory that invites more federal government into your life.

Brilliant.

:?
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

For those who have never seen it, here is President Teddy Roosevelt's suppressed Winchester levergun:

http://www.guns.com/nra-national-firear ... -8024.html

A new exhibit is coming to the National Firearms Museum this June, the Theodore Roosevelt Collection. Teddy Roosevelt is famous for his love of shooting, hunting, and battle. He was an avid gun user and collector, and a great fan of Winchester lever-action rifles, and one of his most-used and prized Winchesters will be a part of it.

That Rifle is a Model 1894 likely chambered in .30-30, which he often called his "Little .30." Roosevelt instantly became a fan of the cartridge when it was first introduced. He was such a fan of their rifles that he tried every new model introduced, and when he felled an antelope at about 180 yards he declared the .30-30 Model 1894 as "Aces," and decided to get one for use at home in Long Island.
Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I'd love to have a supressor. I never wanted to go through all the paperwork though. Wish they'd drop the federal paperwork on them, or the states do the same declaration some did on guns, that if made,sold and used in a single state, weren't subject to fed control. I'd like to be able to hunt with one (though many states don't allow it for some reason), and just shoot without worrying about hearing protection, or bothering the neighbors when shooting at home.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Malamute wrote:I'd love to have a supressor. I never wanted to go through all the paperwork though. Wish they'd drop the federal paperwork on them, or the states do the same declaration some did on guns, that if made,sold and used in a single state, weren't subject to fed control. I'd like to be able to hunt with one (though many states don't allow it for some reason), and just shoot without worrying about hearing protection, or bothering the neighbors when shooting at home.
I gotta say after working with suppressed 223's and 308's shooting sub sonic loads it's "quite nice" to say the least . My 444 with the sub sonic isn't to bad either but I'm thinking with a can hanging off the end of the rifle it'll be so much better . I am curiouse to find out how the deer will react when I use the 308 220 grain subsonic suppressed setup hopefully in july or august . And actually I wanna see two aspects of the whole thing . First I wanna see how well the bullets kill the deer and secondly I wanna see how other deer around the one I shoot react and if I'll be able to pop several if they come in small groups . With a sub sonic suppressed load in a 308 it sounds like a weak capgun cap going off . And if the deer are 50-100 yards away I am hoping they won't react to the sound at all .
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Irelander wrote:If you are asking "Why put a suppressor on a levergun?", all I have to say is...if you haven't hunted with a suppressed firearm or even shot a suppressed firearm, then you won't understand. I highly recommend trying it and see how you like it.
Yep.

The "paperwork" isn't bad, actually - you just buy the suppressor on-line from the manufacturer or a class-III dealer (or a local one if you have one), then once they complete the 'sale', you enter the serial number on the federal forms, attach a certified check and your ID, then send it off. In a few months you get a call from the dealer that your suppressor can be picked up.

For leverguns, an integral suppressor is best, although one you can detach and use on several guns can be kind of nice. Of course the enhanced accuracy a suppressor often provides merits a scope, and they are not usually for 'snap shooting' anyway, but for my 96/22 I chose a red-dot, as it is my "newbie" gun I use to introduce new shooters to shooting (the ultra-quiet factor totally removes the 'flinch' factor, and enables communication without hearing protectors).

If you guys want to suppress any firearm at or under .357/9mm caliber, consider getting a Liberty Mystic Suppressor - I plan to get one once I've got the funds, and use it on a 9mm Calico, plus a Contender in .22 Hornet (and maybe later a .32-20 using a .308" 'modern' barrel and 180 grain bullets around 900 fps). A friend uses one on his Contender .357 Maximum to lob heavier .35 cal bullets subsonically than he could fit in a .357 Mag case.

http://www.libertycans.net/mystic.html

Keep in mind you can use suppressors on smaller-caliber firearms (i.e. the Mystic is a .357" one, but you can get great suppression on a .22 Hornet, or subsonic .223 Rem, etc...), as long as you stay within appropriate pressure limits. Lots of people use full-strength .223 cans on .22 LR but get one that is easily cleaned if you shoot waxy/dirty rimfire in it.
Last edited by AJMD429 on Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Most guns are suppressed over here now. They make the gun handle poor in my opinion.

For folk who shoot from a bench all day thats ok, granted your levergun likes shooting of the bench all day. Mine just shot best from the shoulder where upon a gun with a can (just like all the other guns with cans I have shot) shoot lousy from the shoulder with the exception to a 22 which use's little light cans.

Bud of mine just dumped his 7mm mag with a great big ugley can on it. Couldn't shoot the thing off hand.

Any super sonic load still makes a noise and game just locates you better the more quiet your gun is.

I guarrentee you if I go out with HV ammo in my 22 I will get as many if not more rabbits than with a suppressed 22 and subby ammo.

If you want stealth use a bow, spear or knife and stop watching stupid films :roll:

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Nath wrote:Most guns are suppressed over here now. They make the gun handle poor in my opinion.

For folk who shoot from a bench all day thats ok, granted your levergun likes shooting of the bench all day. Mine just shot best from the shoulder where upon a gun with a can (just like all the other guns with cans I have shot) shoot lousy from the shoulder with the exception to a 22 which use's little light cans.

Bud of mine just dumped his 7mm mag with a great big ugley can on it. Couldn't shoot the thing off hand.

Any super sonic load still makes a noise and game just locates you better the more quiet your gun is.

I guarrentee you if I go out with HV ammo in my 22 I will get as many if not more rabbits than with a suppressed 22 and subby ammo.

If you want stealth use a bow, spear or knife and stop watching stupid films :roll:

N.

Again with SUB SONIC reloads the things are QUIET !

Shooting them from treestands with a rest is no problem either as I've already tried that as well .

I dare say a bow , spear knife or whatever isn't going to do me a whole lotta good past 40 yards . For my application a bolt action SUB SONIC 308 or possibly a SUB SONIC 444 suppressed should do an excellent job .

Granted it sounds as if you hunt more by walking and walking . I don't care to try that application with a SUB SONIC SUPPRESSED rifle but would rather used them from an elevated fixed position .

But again the beginning of your post states "in my opinion" . And you are just like me we BOTH have OPINIONS whether they agree or not is another matter .
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

6pt-sika wrote:
Nath wrote:Most guns are suppressed over here now. They make the gun handle poor in my opinion.

N.

Again with SUB SONIC reloads the things are QUIET !

Shooting them from treestands with a rest is no problem either as I've already tried that as well .

I dare say a bow , spear knife or whatever isn't going to do me a whole lotta good past 40 yards . For my application a bolt action SUB SONIC 308 or possibly a SUB SONIC 444 suppressed should do an excellent job .

Granted it sounds as if you hunt more by walking and walking . I don't care to try that application with a SUB SONIC SUPPRESSED rifle but would rather used them from an elevated fixed position .

But again the beginning of your post states "in my opinion" . And you are just like me we BOTH have OPINIONS whether they agree or not is another matter .
So be it bro. Alas though, when my legs are finnished and my daugter wheels me to a spot in the woods for a few hours my gun be it shot gun or rifle still won't have a shhpressor on it!

N :)
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

"Subsonic" .308...? Load 150 grain bullets in a .32-20 or .30 carbine case..

"Subsonic" .444 Marlin..? It's called a .44 Special, and comes in a smaller package than a .444...

It may sound like fun to do such things, just because you can, but there is no real need for downloading the bigger cases, when the smaller ones will probably give you more consistent results...

Just my educated opinion, mind you...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Buck Elliott wrote:"Subsonic" .308...? Load 150 grain bullets in a .32-20 or .30 carbine case..

"Subsonic" .444 Marlin..? It's called a .44 Special, and comes in a smaller package than a .444...

It may sound like fun to do such things, just because you can, but there is no real need for downloading the bigger cases, when the smaller ones will probably give you more consistent results...

Hmmm and just because you live out west and shoot trespassing dogs your "educated opinion" is better then mine ?

I don't think so !
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Yep...

You're still just a kid, tryin' to play a man's game...
Let it go.
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Buck Elliott wrote:Yep...

You're still just a kid, tryin' to play a man's game...
Let it go.

If ya only knew :lol:

It's far better to be a kid and ALIVE then a crusty old saddle tramp breathing his last as he smoked his last tumbleweed cigarette :lol:
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Buck Elliott wrote:"Subsonic" .308...? Load 150 grain bullets in a .32-20 or .30 carbine case..

All true.

But for someone without the funds for "extra" guns, but does have reloading equipment, downloading is the most viable option.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

There are a couple other factors though. One is that you can load much longer/heavier bullets in a .444 Marlin vs. a .44 Mag or .44 Special, and still have room for powder. However, for some applications, like the .32-20 with a very long/heavy-for-caliber bullet, a special throat may be needed to take advantage of the longer bullet if it needs seated very far out. Feeding in the action/magazine of a typical levergun may be another factor to consider. Finally, if you really want decent accuracy, re-barreling may be needed anyway, to get a faster twist suitable for your slower bullets, especially if they're 'long' ones.

My opinion is NOT particularly 'educated' on the matter, however - just doing alot of reading and talking to owners of suppressed firearms. :wink:

As for shooting feral dogs (why did that get dredged up...?) - a suppressed gun might be quite handy for that. We don't tolerate ANY four-legged predators in our goat pastures..!

Regardless, it's just another 'branch' of gun-fun - some like them, some don't.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

FWIW, I still breathe quite well, even at 11,000 ft. I expect to continue doing so for some years to come. I don't smoke -- never have -- not even "tumbleweed cigarettes..."

And we still shoot stray dogs out here.. Just the way we are...
Regards

Buck

Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Down loads are fine by me, do it myself.

Put a can on if you fancy but be assured, they ain't that quiet! In fact when they strike home at game the bullet will still make a hell of alot of noise. I don't see the point of lugging a big can around even to sit in a tree with!

Each to their own.

Shame some bitch when someone points out a truth though.

Folks use them mostly over here because they don't want to upset the nieghbors that may be anti shooting blah blah blah. I ensure they hear a bang if they like it or not! Tough ain't it!

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Question - do many folks have integrally-suppressed barrels...?

Over here, what with the $200/can tax, people often want detachable cans they can transfer from gun to gun via threaded muzzle, etc., but many makers produce integrally-suppressed barrels which weigh the same, and are the same length, as 'regular' ones, just maybe 1/4" larger diameter. One of the more popular variants is the Ruger 77/44 bolt action .44 Mag, often used by police or DNR for discrete pest control. The main reason we don't see more of the integrally-suppressed ones is the asinine $200/can tax.

A Class-III dealer here had what looked like an H&R break-open 20-gauge, but it was actually a .50 Nitro or some such 'African' chambering, but the barrel was a special fast-twist .45-70, integrally-suppressed one set up to deliver a 720-grain bullet at 950 fps. I'm sure that gun was anything but 'clumsy' to shoot...!

Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

There are some integral supressed shotguns and air guns. Mostly rifles are threaded. Granted, the full length integrals are not as unmanagable as the add ont' end things.

It's ironic really, folk could not wait to get away from the heavy sub-sonic black powder loads of yesteryear and now they want to go back! I'm gonna holdout and wait for the spear to make it's come back :lol:

We have to have a seperate entry on our licence for every silencer we require. As I don't use them and I may be wrong,,,, they may be added to the rifle they are destined for.

Adding one to a licence is around£50.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Irelander
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Irelander »

One of the main reasons I am a HUGE advocate of suppressors is the ability to shoot without damage to your hearing. I love to hunt...no doubt. But when every shot sends my ears ringing with more and more damage, I will gladly lug around the heaviest can on my barrel to save my ears from more damage.

Not that a .22LR makes that much noise out of a rifle, but here is my CZ 452 American with a TAC65 suppressor. Squirrel and crow hunting with this setup is about as much fun as I can have. It is mouse fanny burp quiet.

My next will probably be an AAC Cyclone for my .308.

Glock Certified Armorer
Irelander
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Irelander »

Just a shameless plug for the American Silencer Association. Become a member and support the silencer industry.

http://americansilencerassociation.com/

Glock Certified Armorer
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

The biggest reason for a suppressor is for personal hearing protection.

The second is for sniper/countersniper work.

For hunting? Other than to protect your own ears? Not that important.

As for downloads, my .357 heavy subsonics are quieter than a .177 pellet gun and hit with more energy at the same ranges.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Irelander wrote:One of the main reasons I am a HUGE advocate of suppressors is the ability to shoot without damage to your hearing. I love to hunt...no doubt. But when every shot sends my ears ringing with more and more damage, I will gladly lug around the heaviest can on my barrel to save my ears from more damage.

Not that a .22LR makes that much noise out of a rifle, but here is my CZ 452 American with a TAC65 suppressor. Squirrel and crow hunting with this setup is about as much fun as I can have. It is mouse fanny burp quiet.

My next will probably be an AAC Cyclone for my .308.
http://www.earplugsonline.com/

N :D
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Part of the joy in being out in the woods is to hear the woods... not my tinnitus (which is all I can hear with earplugs in...)
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I actually use some like these.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001F0M2U0/r ... B001F0M2U0

You can hear in them to some degree. Apart from that I wear them over my hat with the ear pieces just forward of the ear and just prior to the shot slip them in the ears and suffer no ringing ear.

So, I have my bases covered, sleek nice rifles and hearing protection. Every one knows I am about but not quite sure where exactly. Just how I like it :D

Have fun just the same friends. :D

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Old Ironsights wrote:Part of the joy in being out in the woods is to hear the woods... not my tinnitus (which is all I can hear with earplugs in...)
I use some electronic muffs when hunting, and they are hiss-less (unlike the early ones), and actually amplify sounds well enough I hear birds and footfalls farther away than I'd usually hear, if I turn up the setting.

For plinking, though, it is nice not to have to bother with hearing protection. Even the subsonic .45 Colt loads from the Rossi rifle are noisy enough I'd not want to fire many of them without hearing protectors. ...but just a wee bigger barrel with some baffles would do wonders...! The problem with tubular magazine guns is the tube would have to be bent just a bit to deal with the larger barrel.

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I know they make some pretty impressive electronic earplugs now too (Game Ear?) But they cost about as much as a gun (the other reason besides the BATFE Stamp I won't buy a can...)
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!