Range Report from Krodle Kountry

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Range Report from Krodle Kountry

Post by crs »

This afternoon, 86er and I met RKrodle at his place east of Dallas for some informal shooting against a big dirt backstop in one of his pastures.
We fired pistols (.380, 9mm, .40 , and two .45 s) until 86er had broken-in his birthday Glock .45 (150 plus rounds) and until we had had our fill of plinking. Even I was able to shoot well with Ricky's Taurus target .45 - it is one of the few 1911 .45 pistols that have not made a fool of me.

We then backed up to 100 yards and broke out the rifles. 86er shot his Savage 99 in .308 and his 1886 .45-70, Ricky his slick 1892 in .45 Colt, and my new - to-me Win/Miroku 1895 in .405Win(more on that in another post). We all had a turn at all the rifles and a great time was had by all. We shot offhand, from the hood of my Yukon, and from Ricky's UTV.
NOTE: The targets were all shot up, so there are no pictures of paper with holes in them. Ricky did recover from the dirt backstop one of the .405 gr jacketed Kodiak .45-70 bullets and it had expanded to more than one inch across; pretty typical for these excellent bullets. Fuzzy pic follows:

After the shoot: Me with 1886 .45-70 (my .405 was in its case), Ricky with his 1892, Ricky's grandaughter with toy, 86er with 99.

I also picked up my Blackbuck mount from last years hunt down at Hondo - here it is ! Beauty, eh?

To cap off the day and a meal of Dickeys BBQ, I retired to my back yard for a cigar and whiskey: Jamesons Irish and Gurkha Churchill - ahhh !
Any questions?
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

Sounds like a heck of an afternoon to me. :D
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Looks just about perfect! :D
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

You lucky fellas! :)
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Sounds like a great way to spend a day to me. The mount looked good, too.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

"Lucky fellas" is right! Out having fun while the wife plies me with care and confinement! That is an oustanding looking trophy. Congrats, again.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

hmmmm hm, good for you. I was wondering where 86er had gone to :wink:
Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

When y'all have a shootin' session, you fellows do it up right!
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Now wait a minute, nobody told me anything about whiskey and cigars afterwards. :o 86er I think crs was holding out on us. We did have a great time and I found out just how bad of a shot I am after watching 86er and crs shoot.
Ricky

DWWC
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

GREEN with envy! :lol:
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

I MISS YOU GUYS (sniff sniff) :cry: :wink:
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Ji your welcome here any time. That goes for the rest of ya'll too. Griff, your just down the road, your going to have to come over sometime.
Ricky

DWWC
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

RKrodle wrote:Ji your welcome here any time. That goes for the rest of ya'll too. Griff, your just down the road, your going to have to come over sometime.
Thanks, first things first, I gotta shake this ??? whatever it is.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Thanks Ricky !

Ricky is a great host and the temporary keeper of two of my rifles. He's pretty good at keepin' them clean too! :lol:
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Temporary? :lol:
Ricky

DWWC
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Ganjiro,
How is it going?
You hanging in there?
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Griff - get yourself well and we can have another shootfest. Next time, maybe I can remember to bring my own targets so Ricky does not have to provide them.
Ricky - dont give me that poor-me story. You had venison dinner that night and 86er went to party with his friend, so I was left all alone to eat out by myself and drown my sorrows with my bottle and Christmas cigars. Actually, that worked out rather well.
Also, if you do end up keeping 86er's 1886, you should put a longer , octagonal barrel on it like you have on your 1892 - get that weight out forward, you know. When my 1892 .357 comes back from the shop (next month I hope) I can bring it out with a box of or two of ammo (and targets) and we can break it in. I will also bring my 1886 .45-90 and some handloads as a big guy like you should be able to handle it with no problem.
Last edited by crs on Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

:mrgreen:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

crs, I thinking of putting a 26 incher on 86er's 1886 as a surprise for him :D .

Griff, I'm down with something also. Started feeling bad Friday a little. By Saturday night I was done in. I went to Rockwall this morning to the see the doc. They wrote a list of prescriptions about as long as my arm. I'm self-employed so have to get back to work quick.
Ricky

DWWC
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

YOU GUYS ARE HAVING WAY MORE FUN THAN ME..
NICE GUNS
NICE BLACK BUCK
AND I'M THIRSTY
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

RKrodle wrote:crs, I thinking of putting a 26 incher on 86er's 1886 as a surprise for him :D .

Griff, I'm down with something also. Started feeling bad Friday a little. By Saturday night I was done in. I went to Rockwall this morning to the see the doc. They wrote a list of prescriptions about as long as my arm. I'm self-employed so have to get back to work quick.
Ricky, you take care of that "something", I've been down with it over a week. Went straight to the doc when I got in on Thurs. and been housebound ever since. This is the big reason I want my reloading room in the house instead of the barn. Wife won't let me out there! Self-employed also, can't afford to be off, but can't afford to be any sicker. Gonna stay home and vote tomorrow, maybe thru the weekend, have fence repairs needed, along with some mowing! Keep well. I love my 26" 1886. I can't imagine it any shorter!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

You gents are definitely living right!

scott
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Ricky - I know where you live. I'd hate to see you having to sleep with one eye open. You too Charles. Don't be an antagonist :lol:

(They're just jealous because my 22" stubby 1886 shoots better than their guns).
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

I get the the point 86er :shock: .

Hey did you local boys know it's suppose to snow this evening. In was in the 70's all weekend !

RSY were is wimberley?

Griff. I holding tight today but well go to work tomorrow. I'm working local this week so that helps.
Ricky

DWWC
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

RKrodle wrote:RSY were is wimberley?
It's about 45 minutes SW of Austin in Hays County. It's cold here today, too. Precip limited to rain, though.

scott
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

RSY;
I know a lady in theDallas Woods and Waters Club from Wimberly. You know Debbie Dickson? She is a country gal that hunts and fishes and is bringing her kids up that way; good people.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

RKrodle wrote:...Hey did you local boys know it's suppose to snow this evening...
Hasn't yet down here. Certainly could, currently @36º. (I'm about 4 miles south of the freeway.)
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Ricky, I finally figured out what was missing from the picture. Where is the .22lr for the little lady? If she doesn't already have one, then you need to buy her one. You have seen the little short single shot types. I bought my son one several years ago, and with the Aquilla quiet rounds it was perfect for him to practice some skills and it is pretty safe.
D. Brian Casady
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

You may mean the Chipmunk .22. Here is my grandson shooting our family Chipmunk (both my kids started with it) on the deer lease a few years back.
He can hold, cock, aim, and fire it by himself now.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

That, or the Davy Crickett. Either one will work. CRS, we should talk Ricky into getting one for his granddaughter. What do you think?
D. Brian Casady
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

I could let Ricky have his granddaughter try our family Chipmunk and see if she likes it.
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

I'm planning to get her one someday but haven't yet. Maybe she can try one of ya'lls to see how she will like it. I don't think she is quite ready yet thou. Her attention span needs a little more span to it. She will be four in September.

Piller, you are going to have to come up and do some shotting with us sometime. Your not that for away. Bring that buff killer 480, I'd like to try it.
Last edited by RKrodle on Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ricky

DWWC
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

crs wrote:You may mean the Chipmunk .22. Here is my grandson shooting our family Chipmunk (both my kids started with it) on the deer lease a few years back.
He can hold, cock, aim, and fire it by himself now.

That a fine looking grandson you got there crs. You must be proud.
Ricky

DWWC
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Griff wrote:
Ricky, you take care of that "something", I've been down with it over a week. Went straight to the doc when I got in on Thurs. and been housebound ever since. This is the big reason I want my reloading room in the house instead of the barn. Wife won't let me out there! Self-employed also, can't afford to be off, but can't afford to be any sicker. Gonna stay home and vote tomorrow, maybe thru the weekend, have fence repairs needed, along with some mowing! Keep well. I love my 26" 1886. I can't imagine it any shorter![/quote]

Griff, I'm still down. I tried to go to work yesterday, stayed for about an hour and came home :x . This stuff is hard to shake.
Ricky

DWWC
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Ricky, when you are feeling better, give me a shout and I would like to come over there to go shooting. If you want to try the .480, sure, have at it. As soon as the new 400 grain bullets arrive, I need to load up some more heavy loads. I'm going to try a slower powder for the carbine so that the longer barrel and different powder may work better. If CRS doesn't bring you the .22lr chipmunk by then, I can bring my son's old Davy Crickett. The Aquilla quiet rounds in it are weaker than some pellet rifles. That adds some safety when working with children.

Get lots of rest and plenty of hot liquids. Sounds like you have the flu or something like it. The flu has been bad this year.
D. Brian Casady
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Piller, I look forward to you coming up sometime. What powder are you thinking of using?
Ricky

DWWC
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

RKrodle wrote:
Griff wrote:[
Yea, I got about ½ the fence work I needed done yesterday and just ran outta steam. Spent the morning coughin' again. Seems like you take one or two steps forward, then 5 or 6 back. Take it easy; especially if you're working outside. This computer work is easy, can do it all day long! :wink: :roll:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Ricky
I'm going to try some H4227 in the .480. It is the slowest burning powder that I can find a recipe for with the 400 grain bullets. In the carbine barrel it should actually give a boost in velocity. I was out of town this weekend, and didn't have time to do anything. I need to order the bullets from Midway, and get to a gun show for the powder. I have lots of 325 grain bullets loaded up, so having something to shoot is not a problem. The 325 grain loads are actually a little more fun than the 400 grain loads as they have a lot less kick. You can fire a bunch more shots before the shoulder starts to say "enough for today". If you want to shoot the rifle, just call me, you do still have my cell phone number don't you.
D. Brian Casady
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

piller, I like 4227. I use it in some of my stuff, 475Linebaugh, 45colt, and even some in my 357's. 2400 may be an option also. 20 grains of 4227 behind a 420 grain LFN gives about 950 fps for a nice mild load out of my FA with 6 inch barrel, and it still penetrates 39 inches of wet news paper.
Ricky

DWWC
bj94
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bj94 »

Ji your welcome here any time. That goes for the rest of ya'll too.
I'm on the west side of Dallas. I'll take you up on that invite.
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Great bj94. I'm thinking of trying to get something together for the 29th of this month. Would ya'll be interested.
Post up here. http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewtopic.php?t=4709 .
Ricky

DWWC
JP_TX
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JP_TX »

RKrodie, I'd love to have a place to shoot my 444 loads if you mean it about a guest. I can offer some HdM cigars and some Antique 105 for refreshments is you like a stout burbon to sip.

JP
JP_TX
444 Marlin
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

JP_TX wrote:RKrodie, I'd love to have a place to shoot my 444 loads if you mean it about a guest. I can offer some HdM cigars and some Antique 105 for refreshments is you like a stout burbon to sip.

JP
WOW that would be a good after shoot relaxer.

crs are you reading this, JP_TX is welling to SHARE. :lol:
Ricky

DWWC
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I'll definitely make time to be there. Ricky, I have about a hundred rounds of 325 grain stuff for the .480. Do you think that might be enough?
For those of you not familiar with Tullamore Dew, I have some to bring for after the guns are put away. It is an Irish Whiskey that is as smooth as polished glass.
D. Brian Casady
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

piller;
Just can not pass this up! I have the "dew" in the little corked jug and that and Jamesons are my favorite Irish whiskeys!
You have good taste, my man.
BrianSH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BrianSH »

At the risk of fermenting discord, dispair, and all around disharmony, (and maybe a fist-fight or two) I'll put some fresh batteries in the chronograph and bring that.

Its the only way to know that you know.

-Brian

P.S. I'm bringing a bottle of Malt also.
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

BrianSH, Thats great that your going to bring a chronograph. I don't have one and would really like to know what some of my loads are running. The malt will be good to bring also :D
Ricky

DWWC
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

piller, one hundred rounds should be a good start. :D
Ricky

DWWC
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

100 rounds - I was thinking at least 100 308's, 300 45 ACP's, some 45 Colt. At least 5 or 600 rounds altogether to get warmed up. Maybe I'll just bring the muzzleloader.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Gosh, now I do wish I could get by. I'd have to drag along the ML also. Loading and shooting 50 rounds thru it is like loading and shootin' 500 of those suppository rounds! :P :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!