Short barrel rifle question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Short barrel rifle question

Post by rjohns94 »

I have a pre-ban Uzi. I want to have a short barrel for it legally. Since I own the rifle, how does the paperwork go? Does it initiate with the purchase of the short barrel? Or can I initiate the paperwork on a long barrel and when the short barrel permit comes back, can I cut the barrel with stamp in hand? Or is that manufacturing which requires different licenses which I don't own? Bottom line, how do I do this legally? I'm guessing buying the short barrel and doing the paperwork for it and bring the barrel home when stamp arrives? I did the short barrel and silencer route before, but this is a bit different.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Short barrel rifle question

Post by AJMD429 »

I believe there is a separate form one has to fill out to 'manufacture' anything, but it must not be too much of a hassle, as there are all sorts of people manufacturing short rifles and suppressors and so on; I'm not sure you can sell/transfer anything you make that way, though.

I'm sure some of the guys on here who own such things will chime in with exact answers. The only thing I have is a couple suppressors of the store-bought variety.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
pneuby
Levergunner 1.0

Post by pneuby »

You're not registering the barrel, you're registering your receiver as a short-barreled rifle. Even if you keep the 16" barrel in place, you still have a legal SBR. Anyone you trust can cut the barrel for you. No law/s against that. Installing such a barrel on your gun w/o it having been registered first is 'No bueno'!
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

I checked on this a couple of years ago but never followed through. What I learned:

You will be applying to manufacture a SBR. The paperwork is different than registering one but the cost and end result are the same.

You cannot possess the short barrel until after the application is approved.

You will be required to mark the SBR with your name and location. The existing serial number can be used. Many folks have the marking done while they wait for approval. There are specific requirements for the markings that you will want to follow.

There are a lot of outfits who can do the marking with a laser. No special licence other than a regular FFL is needed.

Jack