Single Action 40S&W

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Single Action 40S&W

Post by RustyJr »

I've wanted a single action in 40S&W for a while but can think of no other way to get one than to have one made. My thought was to get a SAA in 38-40 from Cimmaron and then buy an extra cylinder in 357 Magnum and have the cylinder rechambered to 40S&W. Does anyone know if this would work or if there would be a better way to do it?

RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
Little Doc
Levergunner 1.0

Re: Single Action 40S&W

Post by Little Doc »

I believe ruger made 38-40 vaqueros with 40 s&w cyl. buddy of mine had a pair.
probably a custom run by some distributor davidson's maybe.
what you suggest would get you there.
m
arjunky
Levergunner 3.0

Post by arjunky »

I think the rugers were 10mm, I don't know if the .40 would push in to far or not. Guessing the 10mm headspaces on the mouth. Maybe.

Byron
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

arjunky wrote:I think the rugers were 10mm, I don't know if the .40 would push in to far or not. Guessing the 10mm headspaces on the mouth. Maybe.

Byron
No, the limited run large frame Vaquero run was .38-40/.40 convertible. You're thinking of one of the also limited "Buckeye Special" which was .38-40/10mm on the also (large) frame but adjustable Blackhawk format.

To the OP--The Vaquero if you can find one is one way to go, but it is the large magnum/Blackhawk frame. If you're wanting something more of a midframe/Colt SAA size, yes that Cimarron (or similar Taylor's) route is a way to go if you can locate a spare .357 to rechamber. To make a midframe Ruger you'd likely start with a .357 New Vaquero like I plan to at some point, but in addition to what the Cimarron route would involve, you'd also have to have the barrel rebored or new one custom made (not too many .40 bore Ruger spares out there) in addition to having a .40 cyl (and .38-40 if you want) made out of the .357 cylinder(s).
oregon73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oregon73 »

Ruger also had a run of Vaqueros--not sure how many--that were only chambered in 40S&W. I believe they had a bright stainless finish.

Rob
NRA
onegoodshot
Levergunner

Post by onegoodshot »

Wont waste band here, but here are new pics of my 38-40's. The ss are 40s&w convertibles and the blue is the 10mm buckeye.
http://singleactions.proboards.com/inde ... hread=7828

I believe there was a run of only 40s&w made for a California police dept.
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

I believe a Buckeye Sports had some convertible Blackhawks in 38-40 and 40 S&W/10mm with moonclips made up several years ago.
onegoodshot
Levergunner

Post by onegoodshot »

The buckeyes didnt use moon clips. The 10mm and 32 H&R used the case mouth. The 40 would not work in the buckeye.
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

Call Gary Reeder.. He'll tell you what can be done. He rechambered a 357mag cyl for one of my Blackhawks in 45 Colt and held .4515 chamber mouths for me. tightened up groups considerably. Charge was quite reasonable. Les
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

oregon73 wrote:Ruger also had a run of Vaqueros--not sure how many--that were only chambered in 40S&W. I believe they had a bright stainless finish.
I think the non- convertible .40 was a special run for the San Diego Sheriff's Dept or Assn?
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

RustyJr wrote:I've wanted a single action in 40S&W for a while but can think of no other way to get one than to have one made. My thought was to get a SAA in 38-40 from Cimmaron and then buy an extra cylinder in 357 Magnum and have the cylinder rechambered to 40S&W. Does anyone know if this would work or if there would be a better way to do it?
That would work just fine. There are several good gunsmiths out there who could rechamber the cylinder for you and if you start a new thread with that specific question I think you'll get some very good specific recommendations for gunsmiths capable of doing this work. Once you have a list of reputable smiths to call, wait time would be something to make sure you ask about.

As much as I like Rugers, they have not (to my knowledge) offered the 1873 Colt sized mid-frame in .38-40 (New Vaquero), only the beefier old model Vaquero. This would increase the cost of a Ruger conversion as you'd have to do two cylinders and the barrel also. If you were to go that route, one of the New Vaqueros in .357/9mm convertible would be a good starting point.

Of course U.S. Firearms will make one for you from scratch if you request it. :D

Go for it! And post some pictures!! :-)

Best,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I'm waiting for the .45acp that they have been promising for years....but, they have this .40 available

http://www.americanrifleman.org/article ... -revolver/
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

onegoodshot wrote:The buckeyes didnt use moon clips. The 10mm and 32 H&R used the case mouth. The 40 would not work in the buckeye.
It may have not been Buckeye, but another distributor like Accusport that had the 40 S&W Blackhawk, or then again I may be totally wrong! :o
Molasses
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Molasses »

gak wrote:
oregon73 wrote:Ruger also had a run of Vaqueros--not sure how many--that were only chambered in 40S&W. I believe they had a bright stainless finish.
I think the non- convertible .40 was a special run for the San Diego Sheriff's Dept or Assn?
That's pretty much what I was told when I bought mine and it's what I've heard a few times since. Me, I was just looking for something to buy at a show and this one large dealer from another part of the state had a couple, maybe a few that they said they'd picked up from some distributor as overrun on some kind of SD Sheriff's order. Price looked good, we always have factory seconds .40s in stock at work and I talked myself into it with the idea of using it for a CAS practice gun that I wouldn't have to load ammo for.
Pretty much a standard old Vaquero 4&5/8" polished stainless, chambered for .40 S&W and marked accordingly, ditto with the box.
Molasses
SASS #925 Life
NRA Life