I'm affraid to post.......

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
hightime
Senior Levergunner

I'm affraid to post.......

Post by hightime »

If I type a responce to anything there's a good chance the site is too busy and I loose my responce. It doesn't matter if I save, preview or post , I loose it after a long wait. I like you guys, I like this site, but I might not be here much anymore.

Owen
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Re: I'm affraid to post.......

Post by rjohns94 »

Perhaps one of the administrators can help you. I don't think that is a site problem. I havent heard of others having same problem. Hang on and don't go anywhere. The Calvary will come riding in to your rescue soon
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

It is not a site problem. I don't know about your connection or ISP but in every case we've had of this it has all traced back to the ISP or the connection.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Told you the Calvary would show up soon :wink:
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

Owen,

One way to prevent losing a long or involved post is to first type it up on your computer's Word program, then open your Leverguns post and simply copy and paste. If the post fails, you don't have to retype the whole thing, just make another attempt using the copy-paste method. This has worked for me in the past.

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

rjohns94 wrote:Told you the Calvary would show up soon :wink:
Sorry it took so long...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

It's your connection. I have fixed that problem before by running "tracert" or "traceroute", depend on your OS, from a command prompt. This will show up any cranky routers on the path to this site.

I have called sysadmins with this info, even had to send them images to prove I know what I'm talking about sometimes. And that's gotten the issue resolved for me. A couple of times.

It can even be your box. Your computers IP device might be wonky. Your router connection might be wonky. Your cable connection or modem might be wonky. All that junk has to work properly to get the bits in and out.

Grizz
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

What Shasta said. Or, alternately, you can type it up, "hilite" what you typed, hold the <ctrl> key hit "C" to copy your selection into the "clipboard", press submit, and see if it posted... wait an interval, (might vary based on your connection speed). If it does, grand, but if not, hit the refresh button on your browser and that "should" bring you back to the "Post a reply" dialog screen where can put your cursor in the upper left hand corner, hold the <ctrl> key and hit "v" and viola, your text reappears. Hit submit and try, try again.

I'm on a laptop and an "air-card", connection losses are no strranger to me! I often get a Image screen after I try to respond!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Washita
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Washita »

I sometimes use a variation of Shasta's suggestion. If I think I'm gonna have a problem (Imy last PC had a really bad keyboard problem that deleted some messages before I posted, for example), I highlight my message, right click on it, then click "copy." If it gets lost I then just open up another reply window, right click, paste.
smokenrust
Levergunner 2.0

Post by smokenrust »

I was having troubles and I would try to post things, but would lose it all...
Iwas even doing what Washita said, "I highlight my message, right click on it, then click "copy." If it gets lost I then just open up another reply window, right click, paste."
Then one day when I was signing in, I noticed under the password box was a spot to check to keep me always signed in. I checked that box and WALLA!!! I could post and not keep signing in.
Hope that its that simple for you. SnR
(discloser) Not a gunsmith, just a tinkerer at heart, it gets me into trouble, When I take it apart...
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

As mentioned, you can sign in "permanently" - if you're not using a public/shared computer. The cookies on this site are ONLY used to ensure you don't get your session hijacked. If that doesn't help, then you've got either a computer issue or an ISP issue as already mentioned.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Gotta love the Calvary! Hobie, your forgiven. Was like thee Hairy minutes before you arrived. We were about surrounded for sure
Mike Johnson,

hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

Thank you so much. That right click is a good idea. As far as it being my conection, It's only on this site.

Owen
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

hightime wrote:Thank you so much. That right click is a good idea. As far as it being my conection, It's only on this site.

Owen

Owen, do you let the site set a cookie? That makes a difference.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Dan 444
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dan 444 »

Hobie wrote:
rjohns94 wrote:Told you the Calvary would show up soon :wink:
Sorry it took so long...

Hobie,

You're much more reliable than Jeb Stuart was at Gettysburg....

Dan
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

The cut 'n paste and writing first in Word are good ideas. Easier yet for me is to type myself an email with the text intended, then cut and paste. Not as involved as creating a word doc, etc., not that that has to be that involved :) but when my antiquated computer is having memory issues, Word is the first thing to lock up! In some instances, I can see email blanking out just as the OP's experiencing with his posting, but hasn't happened to me yet (and his issue of posting text blanking out prior to submitting has on occasion, especially using a "smart phone" which I do a lot).
Last edited by gak on Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Yea, Jeb was Lolly-Gagging up in Chambersburg and Lee was imprudent to engage as he did without him! Then there was Longstreet who didn't realize how close he came to winning the battle. Lee really was missing his friend and fellow General, Stonewall. Anyway, we have Hobie and AmBraCol and all is right with the world!
Mike Johnson,

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Hobie wrote:It is not a site problem. I don't know about your connection or ISP but in every case we've had of this it has all traced back to the ISP or the connection.
Hobie, dunno what all you did a couple years back when I couldn't stay logged on for more than a few seconds, but whatever it was really worked. If I remember right it had something to do with the board's software and I think with Blue Sky ISP not mixing well.

Maybe something related is going on with hightime/Owen...?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

I was having the same prob. When I clicked submit if the wheel kept turning for more than a few seconds I would get the message "internet explorer cannot display the web page" then when I hit refresh it would go back to post reply window sans the text I had typed.
Now when the wheel turns for more than a couple seconds I click save then return to last topic. Then I click reply and then load (which loads the draft I saved then hit submit and it has never failed to go right through. I know it sounds complicated and U said it didn't matter if U saved the draft but it works for Me. I had intended to make it a thread in case someone needed to use it as I know others have had problems losing drafts. Maybe You are'nt following through on the save and load thing. When U cick post reply U won't see "load" unless U have a draft saved. I found this by accident and have used it several times. I am a pretty slow typer and if I lost one like this one I wouldn't bother to try and repost.
Try it , U might like it.
Perry.
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

I'm trying. I just lost this one once. I'm trying one more time.

Owen
smokenrust
Levergunner 2.0

Post by smokenrust »

Hightime Owen,
When you sign in, do you check the box that says. - "Log me on automatically each visit" and when you quit looking, do you log off or just hit the X in upper right corner?
After I checked the box for "Log me on automatically each visit" , my problems quit and I do not log off... just use either back button or X in upper right corner quit.
Hope something helps you..
(discloser) Not a gunsmith, just a tinkerer at heart, it gets me into trouble, When I take it apart...
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

I tried to answer you this morn. , but I couldn't. I do leave myself logged on.

Owen
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

hightime wrote:I tried to answer you this morn. , but I couldn't. I do leave myself logged on.
What it was doing to me was logging me OFF even during mid-post, no matter what settings I used.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I've figgered it out.

Yer from Deeluut. Yoo gotta be wearin swampers or da moose will eat yoor post. :wink:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!