Value of a 94 saddle ring trapper in .30-30

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Value of a 94 saddle ring trapper in .30-30

Post by Travis Morgan »

Guys,

Went to pick up some guns I'd had on layaway so long that they appreciated in value the other day, and got stuck in line behind another fella who turned out to be selling his half of his Dad's gun collection.

I won't mention which chain store it is, but I'll suffice it to say that with the prices he was getting, he would've gotten more tender treatment at night in prison if he were a deaf mute midget.

He saw me looking, and asked if I was interested in any of the guns. They were only going to give him $245 for a 98% condition 1894 pre-safety, non rebounding hammer, top eject, saddle ring trapper in .30-30!

I got it from him for what they offered, but felt so bad about it that I threw in another $5.

Anyways, I was wondering what it's worth. I think I could get $600. The kid at the store told me they'd have priced it at $500.

The only flaws I could find is a VERY slight ding in the stock, a few VERY tiny chips out of the stock where it is recessed for the tang, and a very, very tiny scratch on top of the reciever that I didn't notice until I caught it shining. Also, it's got a sling and swivels. I don't know if they ever came with the swivels or not, but the bluing matches the gun.

Also, I wondered, if I decide to keep it, Would it hurt the value any to have it engraved?

Should I keep it, or trade it off?
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
dbateman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dbateman »

you got a good deal there I just paid $480 for a 30-30 trapper
pre safety half-cock hammer 80%
well done Travis
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Yup, I darn near wrecked the wife's car getting to the bank quickly to get the cash!
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
Joe Reilly
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Joe Reilly »

Well, you will wreck the car out running the police when they figure out you stole a gun. :D
NRA Benefactor Member

My mind is like a steel trap,
rusty and illegal in 37 states.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[I don't know if they ever came with swivels or not, but the bluing matches.] - NOT

[Would it hurt the value any to have it engraved?] - It would only help with it's value in your eyes, and/or a potential buyer who craved the engraving (Keep in mind - What may be beautiful to your eyes may seem appalling to another's)

I traded a knife, straight up, for my Trapper - but that's a exceptionlly sweet deal.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

You'll make money on the deal if you decide to sell. Or, you can brag a LOT about the deal you got if you keep it.

Like Pete said; no, they didn't come with sling or swivels, but they make a right convienent carry. Some of my guns haven't left the store before a sling was installed which might account for the bluing to match. And no, the engraving MIGHT not hurt the value, depends on whether you have the engraving done tastefully, by a competent engraver, and whether any future buyer likes what you've done. It does narrow the buyer field down somewhat. If you have it done by a factory authorized engraver, and get it lettered it'll increase the value even more... but, narrow the buyer field some also.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Where would I find a factory authorised engraver for a Winchester?
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Travis Morgan wrote:Where would I find a factory authorised engraver for a Winchester?
One of the guys on the forum put me in touch with one about a year ago. I lost his contact info when my laptop went kaput several months ago. And "Sometimer's Disease" has eliminated the person's name that gave me the info! :oops:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Just get GraverTom here. Factory authorized engraver? :?: :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Hobie,

I'm already exchanging e-mails with him. Sure wish he's send me some prices.........
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

If you could do only one thing, IMO I'd not do the engraving (unless you are set on doing it...and as stated you found one to do it well at the right price), but I would consider putting a pre-war stock on it from such as www.precisiongunstocks.com - just to make it "so." It's what I'm thinking of doing on a cheap, dark mystery wood/stain (Ranger type c*** but not called that anywhere on the gun)....but otherwise nice/new late (near production end) AE SRC-trapper .44 Mag. They (the pre-war trappers) are the find - and as far as I tell can fetch as much as a 94 (or 92) can...Yours (and mine) will never be like that...but would be nice to emulate those! (admittedly, in the rifle round that curved (carbine) buttplate may not treat the shoulder as kindly as the straight shotgun style yours is; I'd gather that's why Winchester changed in the late 30s to the (now) standard buttplate. Still, I think it'd be cool as anything to "do up" a pre-war out of one of those Post 64 trappers. May not get 100% of your (total) investment back, but don't think you're going to hurt the intrinsic value any either, and may enhance. Hold onto the original buttstock/forearm just in case.

Great find whatever you do - or don't do...can't really lose either way...except heed the one gent's warning to have that engraving done by someone really good.