Sourdough

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Sourdough

Post by earlmck »

Around this outfit we have a strict division of labor. I don't mess with the sewing machine; she doesn't load shells. Batch of other divisions, we know what they are. She does 90% of the cooking (more like 95% I suppose). But if it needs to be burnt on the grill I do the job. And if it involves sourdough I do the job.

Fathers' Day breakfast this morning we had grandson Jer and wife and the kid Em over. I did sourdough buckwheat waffles, the boss did the eggs and ham. Here's the product:
SDWaffle.jpg
I thought we couldn't get the kid to interrupt her coloring long enough to eat (budding artist, I'm sure) but just after this pic she fell to and consumed the waffle and then had another. Must be on another growth spurt.
SDeaterEm.jpg
Then we did a little fishing (they snagged a few bass and crappie; I just caught one nasty birdnest). Mighty fine fathers day here.

And a happy Fathers' Day to all you dads :!: (and granddads and g.granddads) :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
1894c

Re: Sourdough

Post by 1894c »

earlmck -- that's a great post...my oldest is an EM too, unfortuantely she grew up on me..really like the pics...never had sourdough waffles though, never made it to my NY neighborhood, but if offered i wouldn't turn them down...by the way Happy Father's Day... :)
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Thanks Earl,
I loved your post. Used to do the sourdough thing myself but haven't kept a starter for a long time, (years). Maybe I'll start one and make some pancakes or biscuits for whatever Grandkids I can gather up.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Thanks a lot Earl, now I want Waffles (be it sourdough or otherwise) but I don't have a Waffle Iron. :( .
That little Girl looks mighty Happy. Enjoy
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
smokenrust
Levergunner 2.0

Post by smokenrust »

Looks like Grandpa has a keeper there... and an eater! :lol:
Them kids sure grow up fast, before you know it she will be having other things in life going on instead of colory crayons... Looks like you had an enjoyable day.
(discloser) Not a gunsmith, just a tinkerer at heart, it gets me into trouble, When I take it apart...
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Sounds like a great day. I took my family to church on the morning, out to lunch, and then took my son back to church in the afternoon for some skeet shooting on fathers day. I would like to know houw to make those sourdough waffles. They sound good.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

pwl44m wrote:Thanks a lot Earl, now I want Waffles (be it sourdough or otherwise) but I don't have a Waffle Iron. :( .
Not to worry: the recipe makes great pancakes also.
piller wrote:I would like to know how to make those sourdough waffles. They sound good.
The sourdough starter is just yeast that you keep alive be feeding them on flour and water. The trick to keeping sourdough without it becoming a nuisance is to keep it in the refrigerator. That way you only need to use it every few weeks to keep it going. If you keep it out on the counter (where a real busy breakfast cook would keep it) you have to use it very regularly or it gets nasty. Our local health food store sells packets of sourdough start. I got mine given to me by a friend about 25 years ago and have just kept it perking along ever since.

Here's my recipes/instructions I give folks when they get a start from me:

CARE AND FEEDING OF THE SOURDOUGH

Keep in the fridge in a 2-qt container with a good screw-top lid and feed it flour and water to maintain about half-full. After each use put in enough flour/water to bring the volume back to normal. Add water to make the right consistency, which is about “pancake batter thickness”. If you aren’t using it very often, take out two cups of dough (and the top liquid) every month or so and use fresh flour and water to replace the volume. Remember to keep in the refrigerator (this reduces the frequency you need to use the stuff).

AUNT CORA’S SOURDOUGH BISCUITS

Melt – 1 1/2 cube butter in biscuit pan
Mix together: 3 ¾ cups flour
3 Tbsp. Sugar
1 Tbsp. baking powder (none needed if biscuits can sit warm for several hours)
2½ tsp. Salt
Make a well in these dry ingredients
Add: 3 cups starter
7/8 the melted butter (I melt the butter in the biscuit pan
and pour the melted butter in the batter, just leaving the pan
with the butter left after the pour.)

Mix, add flour if needed for biscuit consistency. Roll out on floured board to ½ inch thickness. Cut with cutter and coat with the remaining butter and place in the pan. Let rise in warm place for 15 to 30 minutes.

Bake at 475 for about 15 minutes (until light brown on top)

QUICK WAFFLES / PANCAKES

Mix together and cook:

3 cups starter
2 eggs
¼ cup Karo syrup
¼ cup vegetable oil
¾ cup powdered milk
½ tsp. salt

SOURDOUGH BUCKWHEAT WAFFLES

Night before -- mix together:
1 c. buckwheat flour
1 c. water
1½ c. starter

Then next morning mix in:
2 eggs
¼ c. Karo syrup
¼ c. vegetable oil
¾ c. powdered milk
½ tsp. salt
flour or water as needed for consistency

Note: you can use any flour you want in place of the buckwheat to create the waffle (or pancake) of choice.
The greatest patriot...
Patrick Henry
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Thank you. I will be getting some sourdough starter soon. PillHer really likes sourdough bread, and I might try to make her some in the bread machine. If I can get it right, sourdough bread should fit right in at a levergun hunt since sourdough was very common back in the 1800s and early 1900s.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

piller wrote:If I can get it right, sourdough bread should fit right in at a levergun hunt since sourdough was very common back in the 1800s and early 1900s.
And I'd guess we have a fair number of levergunners that also do sourdough. The sourdough biscuits and pancakes are still real common around cow camp (and elk camp) today in this part of the country.

That pancake/waffle recipe I included is the one used in Burns, Oregon at Harney County Fair when the Lions Club (I think) does their pancake breakfast.

If you can figure out the bread making technique, piller, let me know. I never could get it figured out where I actually used the sourdough as the yeast source. I got hold of some "sourdough bread" recipes that used a little dab of the sourdough in with a regular store-bought yeast bread recipe but I didn't think that counted...
The greatest patriot...
Patrick Henry
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I like the cornmeal waffles, light on the flour so they are a little hard and crispy....Big thick poofy waffles get soggy too quick.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV