Premium California Deer Tag- Finally Drew One!!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Premium California Deer Tag- Finally Drew One!!

Post by Shasta »

It's very difficult to get a "premium" deer tag here in California. You get three choices on your draw application, and any premium hunt is always filled by those hunters who have it as their #1 choice. Premium zones along California's eastern border are home to the much larger Mule Deer, as opposed to the usually small Blacktail Deer in the rest of the state, so competition for these tags is fierce. I haven't won a choice deer tag draw since 1988!

My brother-in-law and I traditionally put in for the late season muzzle loading rifle buck hunt at Devil's Garden in Modoc County, but with only ten tags available there is a 98% chance of not being drawn, and my luck ain't too good as it is! With a preference point system established ten years ago, we had maximum points and decided it was time to change tactics to take advantage of those points. Studying the results of last year's hunts, zone X5b right on the Nevada border had 2,627 first choice applicants for the 110 regular season tags, and 63% of those tag winners got a buck . If my math is correct, that's still only about a 5% chance of being drawn, but that's double the odds of what we had been doing, so we applied for X5b and darned if we didn't get it!

We've never hunted that area before, so a good deal of scouting will be in order. I suppose I ought to dig out my Browning A-Bolt .270 as shots in that open sage country can be long. It will be a good back-up for the gun I really want to hunt with, my 1895 Winchester .38-72 ... no wait, my 1894 Winchester .32-40 ... or maybe my Uberti 1876 .45-60 ...or how about the USRAC Winchester 1886 takedown .45-70? Decisions, decisions. Good thing I have a few months time to sort it out! :lol:

I haven't been this excited about deer hunting in a long time!

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Re: Premium California Deer Tag- Finally Drew One!!

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Congratulations, and best wishes to a successful hunt!
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Wow, glad you got through the maze; it makes me appreciate owning a few acres in the hills of Indiana - way less paperwork!

Good luck on your hunt...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Dave B
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Dave B »

Congratulations on the draw and best of luck on your hunt!!! :D :D :D

Dave B
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Good on Ya Shasta, I never hunted any of the X zones. Always just bought D3. My summer job didn't leave time for Scouting. Then when I moved to the hills I lost interest. My Nephew killed a nice Buck on My property with a BP. I think He had been eating My Chicken feed and Alfalfa. Sure was tasty.
Congratulations and best of Luck
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

Shasta,

Congrats. I too have been carrying max points for ten years, but have been applying for the Doyle muzzleloader hunt. This year I recieved notice of a nevada bull elk tag three days before the CA deadline so I opted for bonus points instead.

Over on Jesse's hunting and outdoor forum there are always some really nice X5b buck photos posted after the season. It seems to breed some of the best bucks in the state. If you do well over there I may have to change tactics too. Anyway, good luck you.
Chad
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Nice going, and good luck on the actual hunt. I hear there's a 40% success rate there as opposed to the statewide 5-7%.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Congratulations, and good luck...take pics!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Shasta, I'll tell ya the secret for getting drawn. Go into the drawing with a party of FOUR. If any one of the four get drawn, (even if it's the last tag drawn), all four of you get a tag for that zone. That's how my 3 friends and I got drawn for one of the X-9B tags for seven of 10 years from 1980 to 1990. And they still are getting drawn. The other, almost foolproof way, is to have one of the four be an out-of-state hunter... almost guaranteed to be drawn!

BTW, I noticed that this year they had 140 tags for X-5b.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Grats Shasta, lay the lead too them. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Congrats on a great draw, Tim. I hunted there often back before CA went stupid with this draw and zone idiocy. Used to be a preponderance of BIG 4X4s up there in the '60s and '70s. I'm just gonna do the G-1 thing again up on Mill Creek east of Los Molinos. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

I've heard rumors that we have some deer out here in California on public lands. Good luck....
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

stew71 wrote:I've heard rumors that we have some deer out here in California on public lands. Good luck....
I don't know, Stew, but there sure used to be a few. We hunt private land, but the bucks all come down from Tehama public ground. The Modoc herds certainly have been reduced from what they were 50 years ago. When I first hunted up there with the Alturas gang we had choices of what bucks we wanted to take, but understand that at this time it's likely best to shoot what you see if it's a 3X3 or better. :|
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln