Local LGS has 2 used Winchester 94 30-30 leverguns

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
PMWIZARD
Levergunner

Local LGS has 2 used Winchester 94 30-30 leverguns

Post by PMWIZARD »

My local gun store has 2 used 30-30 winchester 94 leverguns for sale. One is marked as made in 1944, the other is a canadian comemerative edition. I believe each were priced between $600-700.

Is this a good buy?

Outside appearance on each are very little in scratches and no rust.
smokenrust
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Local LGS has 2 used Winchester 94 30-30 leverguns

Post by smokenrust »

Over on the thread ; Model 94 headspace? http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... ead#unread
Mike D says. "DOM? If post-war a no finish gun is maybe $150, on the high end."
And Pitchy says, "Mike i thought 150 dollar 30-30`s were a thing from the past, they want 275.00 fer it.
Blue ones are selling for the 450.00 range"
Mikes reply, "I can't count the 1894s I have bought for anywhere from 10-50 bucks. .... 275 is whacked, they obviously haven't a clue about 94s."
Pitchy reply, "Ya got any for 50 ya want to part with? ....Looked through a few pages on GB and pre 64`s average around 400.00"
Then Griff says, "I've bought my share @150-200... but, those days are gone. $275 is a good price if it's functional and not abused overly much! "
And Ologger says, "id start it out at 200.00 "
There you have it, price to high at 6-700. Cut him low and work your way up...and bring along a print out of what they have actually sold for on GB. Seen em sell for 3-450.. depending on age and condition. But the very early ones w/oct barrels may run into thousand dollars or more...
(discloser) Not a gunsmith, just a tinkerer at heart, it gets me into trouble, When I take it apart...
PMWIZARD
Levergunner

Post by PMWIZARD »

Thanks for the advice. I will pass on both of them.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Condition is everything. If "like new in box"... name yer price and some yahoo'll pay it. Even 75 to 90% guns could be worth that much if they've got special features, etc. But... 1944? Most likely it's a flat-band carbine, nothing special about it, and could actually be from 1942 to 1948, I've seen NO good reliable source of dating those war year and early post WWII guns. If the CC has all the papers, box, and is like new... $500-700 wouldn't be unreasonable, maybe higher if you REALLY wanted it. But... if it was a shooter grade? NIMO.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
PMWIZARD
Levergunner

Post by PMWIZARD »

Yes the rifles appear to be in shooting condition. I did work the levers on the rifles and they were a little rough. Could be from a lack of oil. But the rifles were not anything on the must have list. They appeared to be in shooting and walking thru brush type guns.

The only reason for interest was because they were both winchesters. But the rifles were just sitting on the used gun rack. So I doubt there were any great stories behind the rifles.

Thanks for the information on the rifles and I will just pass on them.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I think griff was saying the Canadian Centenial gun is only worth top dollar if absolutely brand new, unfired in the original box. If it's been fired (ever!), carried, had different sights or sling etc added, the value goes down considerably. I've taken several brand new Canadian Commemoratives, as well as Buffalo Bills, and shot them. They were what I wanted to shoot, so I had no qualms about it. I still see them new in the box in the $500-$600 range now and then. The comemorative 94's are about the only way to get a decent condition 26" rifle version of the 94 for a shooter.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
smokenrust
Levergunner 2.0

Post by smokenrust »

"The comemorative 94's are about the only way to get a decent condition 26" rifle version of the 94 for a shooter."
Thats why I have a used Teddy... And someday it may get an AI reamer down her throat... And needs a good action job done to it too.. stiff and hard to lever- hammer has a tuff spring on it too. Someday...
(discloser) Not a gunsmith, just a tinkerer at heart, it gets me into trouble, When I take it apart...
PMWIZARD
Levergunner

Post by PMWIZARD »

Both rifles appear to be shot and there is no box for the rifle either.

This is what's great about this forum, getting great answers from knowledgeable people.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Some post-64 Winchester 94 commemoratives ARE worth the $700 or so, if you think aboutit.

How else can a shooter (person) get their greasy paws on a nice rifle, with special features not seen since the days of 1910 Special Order Deluxe Winchesters, at less then half the $$$$ of what a gennie would cost ?

Try to find a top-eject (non-94AE) .30-30 or (God forbid) .32 Special with a 24" barrel gennie TODAY for less than $1500, and I'll eat my hat.

Throw in the "engraving", and (usually) nice wood, and a Commemorative can be a bargain - Heck, some were even made in .38-55 !

I've bought a Canadian Pacific RailRoad Centennial Commemorative .32 Special with 24" bbl, and an engraved pewter-finished receiver for $700 (because it was "only" a commemorative), then peeped it (they're factory prepped) to make the hunting rig I wanted at less then half the cost of a beater Model 64.
Since it was made in 1981, it already had the 1970 upgrades from the tawdry "post-64" stamped parts, like a solid lifter & pins, etc.

PMWIZARD
Levergunner

Post by PMWIZARD »

Nice looking rifle. How does it shoot at the range?
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Pete44ru wrote:Some post-64 Winchester 94 commemoratives ARE worth the $700 or so, if you think aboutit.

How else can a shooter (person) get their greasy paws on a nice rifle, with special features not seen since the days of 1910 Special Order Deluxe Winchesters, at less then half the $$$$ of what a gennie would cost ?

Try to find a top-eject (non-94AE) .30-30 or (God forbid) .32 Special with a 24" barrel gennie TODAY for less than $1500, and I'll eat my hat.

Throw in the "engraving", and (usually) nice wood, and a Commemorative can be a bargain - Heck, some were even made in .38-55 !

I've bought a Canadian Pacific RailRoad Centennial Commemorative .32 Special with 24" bbl, and an engraved pewter-finished receiver for $700 (because it was "only" a commemorative), then peeped it (they're factory prepped) to make the hunting rig I wanted at less then half the cost of a beater Model 64.
Since it was made in 1981, it already had the 1970 upgrades from the tawdry "post-64" stamped parts, like a solid lifter & pins, etc.

Ive never thought of it that way, thanks I think :idea:

ollogger
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Pete,

Don't get me wrong, I think the Commemoratives are fine rifles, (I have 3). And when priced outside the "collector" market can be bargains. IIRC I paid $650 for my BiCentennial, NIB with all the tags and paperwork. And wasn't squeamish about doing so. I missed a Buffalo Bill short rifle, just the gun, no box or papers, a couple of years ago for $450 because I didn't put a deposit and was gone a few days later. Had it been the 26" version, I woulda snpped it up right then. The shop had had the twin to it, but sold it the first day in the shop, for the same price! Plastic has its uses!

I've seen numerous O. Winchesters in .38-55 get snapped up in the $500 range because they didn't have boxes, paperwork, even tho' unfired. I recently bought a Legendary Lawman Trapper in a "shooter" condition. (Thanks Mike).

I'm certainly in no position to disparage the Commemoratives. But, all that said, it still isn't any reason to overpay for one. And, I've found that regions have very different price structures for both fine, collectible Winchesters, Commemoratives and shooters. A LOT depends on the quantity available and where exactly they're being sold. Some back woods shops in E. Texas will have some outrageous prices on some things, ridiculously low on others. Same for other spots outside major population centers.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!