Need advice from hog hunters

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
azmark
Levergunner 2.0

Need advice from hog hunters

Post by azmark »

I just found out that we have a feral hog problem in Arizona and thought I'd try to get up north and do my civic duty by reducing the population.

I think I'll use my .270 but I want to take a backup handgun. I have a .357 and a 45 cal. 1911. Which would you carry, and why?
Mark Dickinson
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Re: Need advice from hog hunters

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

.357 mag using 180 grain loads, more energy, better penetration.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I'd carry the .45 loaded with 200 XTPs and two spare mags.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

Hit them in the right spot with the 270, and you won't have to worry about it. If you still need to carry a side arm carry whichever you shoot best with the heaviest bullet you can get. In 357 I would shot 158 grain or hevier. In the 45 I would go with hardball.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

In our past experience, shootem just below and behind the ear...
and you wont need your back up, and you will save all the meat too...
but either one will do...I have carried 357, 44, and 45acp...mostly
the 44 and never had to use them...The hides on some of these critters
are very very thick...so what ever you do decide to take, your going to
need a fairly hot loads...Their vitals are somewhat behind the front shoulder...
and if you dont get the perfect hit on a big one... quartering away,...it will run off...
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Sounds like you're hunting them from distance. The .270 is plenty of gun.

Go for the neck to drop 'em on the spot or shoot low in the chest for the vitals.

No real need for a side-arm if you're hunting with a rifle, but a .357 will kill a hog just fine if needs be.

The .45 is made for men, not for animals.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
azmark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azmark »

I don't know what the distance might be, hence the sidearm. I figured since I don't know what size hogs there might be, the rifle would be a safe bet. Sure don't need to go up against Hogzilla without proper armament. The 12ga might end up being the best choice for a long gun, I just don't know.

Suppose I have some homework to do anyway. I only found out we even had wild pigs last night.
Mark Dickinson
BrianSH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BrianSH »

azmark wrote:I don't know what the distance might be, hence the sidearm. I figured since I don't know what size hogs there might be, the rifle would be a safe bet. Sure don't need to go up against Hogzilla without proper armament. The 12ga might end up being the best choice for a long gun, I just don't know.

Suppose I have some homework to do anyway. I only found out we even had wild pigs last night.
Since the distance is unknown, to me that says magnum. At best, the 1911 is a 25 yard gun, with the affore mentioned 200gr hollow points. Leave that lousy hardball stuff at home. Old man Fairbairn himself new it wasn't that great. And he shot 'em, killed 'em, beat 'em up, and arrested 'em for a living.

The 357 will put you in the game out to 50 yards. Closer is better. I know I'm great at estimating handgun ranges, but then I get into the feild, and then I'm not so sure.

Know were your 270 hits at 50 yards or less, as well as 100-200. It probably will not matter. If you take a shot at 50, and hold dead on, the bullet will probably strike either an inch or two high or low, and will be in the kill zone.

- Brian
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Of the two, the .357. And as mentioned go for a 180 grn. A LFN hard cast is a good choice. If you take a frontal shot, the plate in the chest can be hard to punch thru and the LFN heavy weight will do the trick. Likewise a going away shot, you'll need the penetration you get for that bullet. If it's a broadside, the LFN will work fine with good bullet placement. I know that Buffalo Bore loads a 180 grn LFN gas checked bullet to some respectable velocities.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I'd carry a 45 w spare mags. Not for the pigs, in case you run into border crossers and a conflict errupts.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
BrianSH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BrianSH »

:twisted:
86er wrote:I'd carry a 45 w spare mags. Not for the pigs, in case you run into border crossers and a conflict errupts.
This is a different type of hunting, and now I will assert that a magnum will shoot through stuff better. :twisted:
Dave B
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Dave B »

I carry a 45 with at least one spare magazine while hunting here in AZ.

What part of the state will you be hunting? I've only hunted 44A, 20B, and 30B, and I haven't seen any myself, but I'd like to do my part too. :D

Keep us posted on your results.

Good luck,

Dave B
azmark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azmark »

It's unit 13B, in the northwest corner of the state. Check out

http://www.azgfd.gov/h_f/hunting_units_13b.shtml
Mark Dickinson
Dave B
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Dave B »

Wow, that is in the "northern " part of the state. :D I 'll look forward to hearing how your hunt goes.
I had a ex-coworker years ago tell me the were pigs somewhere north of Black Canyon City. I'd like to find out where they are now.

Dave B
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I'd say either would work as long as you stay away from the hollow points. The 180 rain .357 would be best though.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
williamranks
Levergunner 3.0

Post by williamranks »

azmark wrote:I just found out that we have a feral hog problem in Arizona and thought I'd try to get up north and do my civic duty by reducing the population.

I think I'll use my .270 but I want to take a backup handgun. I have a .357 and a 45 cal. 1911. Which would you carry, and why?

There's supposed to be a group of them around Dugas, next exit after Cordes Junction on I-17 and head east. I haven't taken the time to go down and look. All of Yavapai County is no fires and smoke in the car.
Bill Ranks
I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Robert A. Heinlein