I think I will stick with Lil Gun powder.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

I think I will stick with Lil Gun powder.

Post by bigbore442001 »

The other day I was sadly disappointed in the results of my tests using IMR 4227 in the 44 magnum. I do realize that the lackluster performance has a direct correlation with a weak crimp but I did run out of that powder and I do not forsee getting more of it in the future. I did have some handloads using Hodgdon's Lil Gun in two bullet weights. I shot them this afternoon at 4:30 PM after a series of thunderstorms blew through. Initially I set up the chrony but the sky was dark interspersed with flashes of lightning. I figured it was prudent to wait it out. Shortly things cleared well enough to engage in some shooting.

The range is at approximately 450 feet above sea level.The temperature was around 70 degrees with a pressure of 28.5 . Humidity was at 80 percent.

Load 1: 270 grain Speer Gold Dot loaded over 22 grains of LilGun. Solid crimp, magnum primers, Starline brass.

Ruger Redhawk 5 1/2

1350 fps average velocity.

Ruger Redhawk 7 1/2 with Magnaport

1386.8 fps average velocity.

TC Contender 10" barrel

1555.5 fps average velocity

TC Contender 16" barrel

1668 fps average velocity.

I was really pleased with the results of this test. It was more positive. This load was intended as a back up load for moose last fall in case I had to go after one in an area north of Concord that limits the types of firearms you can use. In addition I can see this being used for other game like deer or black bear.

Load 2:

This load consists of a 240 grain Hornady XTP bullet over 24.2 grains of LilGun with a magnum primer and Starline brass.

Ruger Redhawk 5 1/2 inch

1378 fps average velocity

Ruger Redhawk 7 1/2 inch with Magnaport

1445 fps average velocity

TC Contender 10 inch barrel

1645 fps average velocity

TC Contender 16 inch barrel

1784 fps average velocity

I do believe that I am going to stick with this powder for hunting applications.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Re: I think I will stick with Lil Gun powder.

Post by earlmck »

Looks like those would do anything you'd want 'em to do, bigbore. I looked at those loads in the "QuickLoad" program and that was pretty close to the velocities it predicts for the 16" barrel. And it says they stay under 30K psi also. Nice.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
DixieBoy
Senior Levergunner

Post by DixieBoy »

BigBore - Well, there's no denying that you upped the velocities considerably over what you'd gotten out of IMR 4227
the other day. Are you getting the low extreme spreads you are after ? I have zero experience with this powder so I'm
just asking. Seems like one of the internet criticisms of Lil' Gun is wide extreme spreads. But that could just be the typical
internet nonsense too. Any other impressions you care to note with the Lil' Gun ? Inquiring minds want to know. :D - DixieBoy
When the People Fear Their Government There is Tyranny; When the Government Fears the People There is Liberty.
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

I did get a couple of extreme flyers but I believe that is due to factors other than the load. From what I understand, shooting over a chronograph can involve a lot of variables. The shot should be in the same spot each and every time but after shooting I do notice that the bench moves a tad, the chronograph twists slightly( bear in mind it was a bit windy as we had a line of strong thunderstorms roll by). I deleted any extreme numbers and averaged the rest.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have used both L'iL Gun and 4227 in my .480 Ruger loads. In the pistol, SRH with 7 1/2 inch barrel, I get great results, but in the model 92, the barrel bets pretty hot when I use L'iL Gun. In the levergun, I actually get almost the same velocity with both powders, and the 4227 runs a lot cooler. For any handgun length barrel, the L'iL Gun is the winner of the 2, but I also find that H110/ww296 gives good results with both the pistol and rifle. For loads that are going to be used only in the rifle, it is 4227 for me just because I don't have to wait between shots for the barrel to cool.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

For some of my cartridges, I found a huge difference in velocity with IMR 4227 depending upon whether I tilted the rifle up or down before the shot. IMR 4227 is very position sensitive.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

In the .480, the load of 4227 pretty well fills the case. It is not a compressed load, but there isn't much room left. I have had better luck with using H110/WW296 for loads that I am going to use in both the pistol and the rifle since they give very similar results in both.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

While we are on this subject -- thanks to Kirk's info he gave out on burning rates the other day on a different post -- I saw that 5744 and 4227 are very very close. And my jug of 5744 says it is useful for magnum pistol loads, but the Accurate site doesn't show any such loads that I could find.

Has anybody here tried out 5744 for our magnum pistol-cartridge loads? I would think it might be nice in our rifles using those cartridges. QuickLoad shows it being a pretty decent fit, though not hitting the very top velocities like Lil'Gun.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry