We got Cougars!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

We got Cougars!

Post by madman4570 »

From a person(absolutely known)not one to stretch the truth.

Last night driving home from work at aprox. 5pm rounding a curve on a country road ran right out across the road as she almost hit it.
Said---it was a large Mountain Lion----100% sure

She contacted Game Warden, and the people (they own a farm)where she saw the big kitty.
They said------They wondered why last week 12 of their chickens are no longer?????????

Good lord now its not just the bears/rattlers/copperheads/its cougars????????????????(oh,and ticks)

That might change my going out "by myself" across the mountain this fall turkey/deer season by myself (in the dark) if I find more evidence of this :idea: :shock: :cry:

Maybe not though!

It's funny,come to think of it seems like the coyote population has declined a lot lately?????
Last edited by madman4570 on Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Re: We got Cougars!

Post by JerryB »

I am sure the state will tell her it was a weather balloon or maybe swamp gas.The folks may get a chance to see it again. Do they have trail cameras?
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

JerryB wrote:I am sure the state will tell her it was a weather balloon or maybe swamp gas.The folks may get a chance to see it again. Do they have trail cameras?
I will mention that to her----to tell those people(they got young kids too)
She said absolutely no mistaken-----it was a cat(long tail)BIG
Not a bobcat/coyote/dog/regular cat etc.
It was a BIG cat(100%)sure exact of what she sees at the Zoo in the (mountain lion section) :lol:
She couldn't even sleep last night(totally freaked out) she lives about 10miles further up the road.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

You got Cougars? Can I have a kitten?
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

:lol: :lol:

Check this out!
Talk about tough---- :shock:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=en ... GNCjo&NR=1
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

We are getting them here too and they even admitted it. :o
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

A few years back we had one running the canyons behind my place. When the folks who first saw it reported it, they were basically called liars and told making false reports could get them arrested. The still photos were said to be doctored. When another neighbor brought his video footage they changed their tune. It was obviously someone's illegal pet that got out. When the "experts" couldn't find it they said it must have gone home.

Funny, cats, dogs, coons and possums kept disappearing. When the possum and coon population was basically descimated, the cats and dogs quit disappearing as well. It's been a few years and the possum and coons are back in force. I sure hope that person's pet gets out again.

Governmental "experts" are "experts" by virtue of being paid by the government. Heck a few of us offered to track and kill the cat "if we could keep skull". Seems the tracking "experts" that probably couldn't track a tank going snow covered field, didn't want anyone finding what they couldn't.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Moondawg
Levergunner

Post by Moondawg »

Such have been reported in South and Central Texas, but the fish and game authorities deny. Admit there may be some big cats around the Big Bend area area and far West Texas.
Things that will eat you, bite you, sting you, suck your blood, poke you full of thorns etc. help to toughen the human race up and add spice to life.
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

Just how old a gal is she?
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

JerryB wrote:I am sure the state will tell her it was a weather balloon or maybe swamp gas.The folks may get a chance to see it again. Do they have trail cameras?
There were "no bobcats" in Indiana when hunters, trappers, and birdwatchers saw them, or even got trail-cam pictures of them that weren't perfect anatomically-defining images. However, all of a sudden when a lone DNR biologist saw one at a distance, running, and some smudged tracks, there was 'evidence' they were returning. Now it's actually a 'fact', but it wasn't until the right people 'discovered' it... :roll:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
bgmkithaca
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bgmkithaca »

I spotted a bobcat last Dec. west of Lafontaine, In. near the Missisinewa Res. . Other locals are telling me they too are making occasional sightings in the area as well. I had not saw one around here since the 60's.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

model55 wrote:Just how old a gal is she?
42(very sane,and takes no meds)Good looking too!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

About 28 years ago my wife was headed to work one afternoon and a big cat ran across the road in front of her. She said as it stretched out covering ground it seemed to cover from the centerline to the ede of the road, nose to tail. When I called the rabbit sheriff they said THERE ARE NO FLORIDA PANTHERS IN THIS AREA. They act likr every Florida Panther out there is numbered, tracked, and known about.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
allhands
Levergunner 2.0

Post by allhands »

Maine Inland Fisheries and Wildlife has finally admitted that there are Mountain Lions in Maine. It took them years of pics and video, but they have now admitted it (begrudgingly and quietly)
Bill Nowicki
Headed "upta camp"
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

madman4570 wrote:
model55 wrote:Just how old a gal is she?
42(very sane,and takes no meds)Good looking too!
She want to move to Wyoming??
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

it was a big deal on the San Antonio news a few years ago.
There were four of five cougar sightings in Frederick Park and crossing IH-10 at the park. NW suburban San Antonio.
I'd suspect the cat or cats likely moved out after they depleted the small game/ outdoor pets.
Last edited by bdhold on Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

My father worked for the USFS for nearly 27 years. That said, I would no more report the presence of a particular wild animal who was not harming me than I would report a person who was brushing their teeth. By and large these people don't really care. Take photos and video, tell your friends (as you did here), be careful and enjoy.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

The next door neighbor kicked one out of his hay field two weeks ago. I've seen cougar tracks on a river bank a couple years ago.
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Did it look like this?

Warden said that this might have been mistaken as a cougar, thought it was a bobcat, 'cause there isn't any four legged cougars in Wisconsin:

Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Stan in SC »

The Georgia Game and fish people swore and be darned that there were NO cougars in the state despite reports of sightings.Lo and behold two years ago there was deer hunter near West Point,Georgia (my home town) who shot and killed one while deer hunting.It walked up under the stand he was in and scared the fool out of him so he shot it.
Last I heard they did all manner of tests to determine if it was a released or escaped pet or if it was indeed wild stock.Turns out they claim it had migrated from Florida and I believe they tried to make a case against him for shooting it.I don't know the outcome.
I will not shoot a fox or bobcat in the woods.I just might shoot something that large.Not sure what my reaction would be.When you see a predator in the woods that could harm a man it is a different reaction than a small predator.
Point is that all of the game and fish people who claim there are no cougars in a state are just guessing.

Stan in SC
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45-70,it's almost a religion
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

they can live where they want, and you won't find one if you're trying.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Stan in SC wrote:The Georgia Game and fish people swore and be darned that there were NO cougars in the state despite reports of sightings.Lo and behold two years ago there was deer hunter near West Point,Georgia (my home town) who shot and killed one while deer hunting.It walked up under the stand he was in and scared the fool out of him so he shot it.
Last I heard they did all manner of tests to determine if it was a released or escaped pet or if it was indeed wild stock.Turns out they claim it had migrated from Florida and I believe they tried to make a case against him for shooting it.I don't know the outcome.
I will not shoot a fox or bobcat in the woods.I just might shoot something that large.Not sure what my reaction would be.When you see a predator in the woods that could harm a man it is a different reaction than a small predator.
Point is that all of the game and fish people who claim there are no cougars in a state are just guessing.

Stan in SC
Sounds about right. Years ago Outdoor Life had an article about a bear attack. A bow hunter was attacked by a grizz. He managed to stab it in the eye with an arrow. His buddies hauled him down to the hospital and reported the attack. The rangers said no grizz in the state, so they went up the hill and found dead grizz with arrow in eye. They promptly arrested the wounded fellow for killing an endangered species. He was convicted, but finally an appeals court judge with some sense threw the thing out. I guess when it comes to endangered species, we are supposed to die if attacked.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

When things like that happen, it encourages the three S rule.