What pistol caliber is your most accurate.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
hightime
Senior Levergunner

What pistol caliber is your most accurate.

Post by hightime »

I am getting the best with 44-40.
Well I was thinkin' pistol, but let's talk both.
I'd like to know what pistol cal. in a rifle shoot well for you?

Owen
Last edited by hightime on Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Re: What pistol caliber is your most accurate.

Post by JerryB »

Just throwing one up off hand, I would say it is my old 92 32wcf rifle. Been shooting it since 1953 or there abouts.

I went back and read the OP, I thought it said rifle, OK the handgun would be my Colt I bought in 1959. SAA 5 1/2" .45 Colt, been loading for it with Unique since 1960 just point and shoot.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

If you mean in a pistol------------------for me-----------.357Mag(6" Ruger GP100)
In a rifle--------------I have to be truthful---------its a .40S&W 16" Keltec Sub2000(that darn gun shoots one ragged hold groups at 50 yds.
Now, at longer distances in a rifle------------Can I say my Ruger#1 45-70(since they make that Caliber for sale now in commercial handguns) :lol: :wink:
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

.22,.32, 380, 357. 44s and 45s. :D But the smallest all time group is the K22.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

JohnB
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JohnB »

I seem to favor the good ole 1911 in .45 ACP....if you on the business of mine, your in BIG trouble!

I do well with my Tupperware in 9mm...but best with JMB's best.
"Spend so much time improving yourself that you have no time to criticize others." -Unknown
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

pistols it's a tossup between the 44 special and the 45 colt but neither really has much of an advantage over the 41 mag, and the little 32 h&r is a dandy as well....
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

.357 w/180 grain lead bullets. Dednutz for pistol cartridge silhouette
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

My most accurate is .22 lr out of a Ruger Mark I Target with the 6 7/8" barrel. Feed it some of the high end target stuff, and it's astounding what the pistol can do. I only wish I could shoot as well as it does. My eldest is spooky accurate with that thing.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Levergun - 44-40

Handgun - 44Mag
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

.357Mag, then .45ACP

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I have 45 ACP, 40 S&W, 9mm Para. and 39 Spl (autos and a revolver). The 40 S&W is most accurate with 2" - 5 shot groups off rest at 25 yards. The 45 ACP is a close second when fired at 15 yards it will do 1.75" but it is a 3" and groups open up to 3" at 25 yds. The other two are not even close. In a rifle, the 360DW (designed at a pistol cartridge) will group 3 shots into 1" at 100 yds every day. If I switch to 357 Mag, the heavy 180 WFNL bullets will group just under 3" at 100 yds. In all cases, I am sure it is the individual guns that account for the accuracy when matched with the right cartridge. I don't think the caliber has anything to do with it.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

22 lr, no doubt about it.
the telegraphist
Levergunner 2.0

Post by the telegraphist »

Out of a lever 38/40 closely followed by 44/40.

Handgun, 357mag out of a Python.
Old west then without doubt my Colt SAA 45 Colt. Crude sights etc but superbly accurate with 250g Westcastings 250g RNFP backed by 7.8g Universal.
GUN CONTROL IS HITTING YOUR TARGET
Steelbanger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Steelbanger »

44 Magnum. Once I learned just what my Super Blackhawk was capable of and I learned to control the recoil I felt like I had conquered it. I truly believe the 44 is one of the most accurate straight wall cartridges, if not the most accurate.

My opinion.
"He who has gone, so we but cherish his memory, abides with us, more potent, nay, more present, than the living man."
Antoine de Saint-Expuéry

Steelbanger, N.R.A. Life
PRPA Member
Marlin - a hard habit to break.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

If my Contender counted, I'd say .223 Rem, or .22 Hornet...

Otherwise, .22 LR out of a Ruger Mark-II and if I had to use a revolver, probably .357 Mag out of my 7" Taurus Tracker.

Pistol-out-of-rifle, .357 Mag out of my tang-sighted Rossi 24", I suppose.

Since you can get an Encore pistol in 6mm Rem, I suppose I could say my Ruger 6mm Rem... :wink:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

20cows wrote:22 lr, no doubt about it.
Funny, after reading this post I realized that I don't think of the .22LR as the 'same' cartridge going from pistol to rifle.

.22LR as a pistol cartridge didn't even cross my mind. :oops:

My MkIII shoots pretty good at pistol range ot to 25yds, but either one of my 10/22s will put Mini-Mags into 1 hole all day long.

:mrgreen:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

:mrgreen: and we could always get technical and remind folks that the wcf cartridges (32-20,38-40 and 44-40) are rifle cartridges that also can be adapted to handguns. :wink:
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

ALL OF THEM TO THE VERY LAST ONE !!! THERE IS NOT A SINGLE CARTRIDGE THAT IS NOT CAPABLE OF NEAR ONE-HOLE ACCURACY CONTINUOUSLY AT 25 YARDS. MANY CAN SHOOT THIS WELL AT 50 YARDS AND SOME CAN DO IT TO 100 YARDS, EVERYONE DEPENDING ON THE LAUNCH VEHICLE.
I LOAD FOR EVERY CALIBER FROM 25ACP TO 454CASULL AND ALL OF 'EM TO THE LAST ONE WILL SHOOT THE NUTS OFF A GNAT AT 25 YARDS WHEN THEY ARE FIRED IN AN ACCURATE PISTOL. YEP, THERE IS THE RUB !!! FOR INSTANCE, I HAVE A BERETTA M100 6" TARGET SIGHTED 7.65MM [ 32ACP ] THAT'LL SHOOT COMMON FED, W-W, R-P HARDBALL IN TO GROUPS APPROACHING ONE-HALF INCH ALL DAY LONG.
HAVE HAMILTON BOWEN MAKE YOU A SINGLE SIX IN 25ACP AND YOU'LL SEE IT DO THE SAME THING. IT IS ALL---ALL!!!---IN THE GUNS !

YOU ARE CONFUSING TWO DIFFERENT THINGS IN TOTALITY.

AND BY THE WAY, THE 45COLT IS A PISTOL CARTRIDGE IN A SAA SIXGUN OR A UBERTI RIFLE AND LARGE RIFLE PRIMERS ARE NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER EVER NEEDED UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES AND CAN BE DETRIMENTAL IN SEVERAL CIRCUMSTANCES. BUT....BUT , IF YOU INSIST FIND THIS OUT THE HARD WAY.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

TERRY YOU CAN GET HEARING AID BATTERRIES AT WALGREENS, THAT WAY YOU DON'T HAVE TO SHOUT ALL THE TIME.. :mrgreen:
USING LARGE RIFLE PRIMERS IN 45 COLT LOADS INTENDED TO BE USED IN MY WINCHESTER TRAPPER SURE HELPED THE MANGLED PRIMER PROBLEM THAT THING HAD EVEN WITH SAAMISPEC 45 COLT LOADS.....

Have a nice day. :D
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Considering what has been said above, it would seem that there are a lot of favorites. As far as the pistol shooting it being a factor, just looking at it from the perspective that the frame in a revolver stays rigid, and a semi-auto must have a tiny bit of movement of the barrel, the revolver would seem to have the edge. I have noticed that the person firing it has a great influence since you can take a bad shooter and give them an accurate firearm and still have bad accuracy. I had a gun that I didn't like and thought it was completely inaccurate, in .45 ACP no less, and a friend showed me that by changing my grip on it I could shrink my groups in half. I bought it for the "cool" look it had. The friend has it now and still likes it.
Now, since I have only a levergun in .480 for my pistol caliber rifle, then the .480 is it. It is more accurate than I am. My most accurate pistol is a Ruger Super Blackhawk. Least accurate is one that shoots the little softair pellets, and I like shooting grasshoppers off the plants with it. I can hit a grasshopper just point and shoot at 15 feet, although it sometimes takes a couple of shots.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

357 in a 6" Python for me.

So far for an autoloading pistol, my most accurate is my Glock 20 10mm
----- Doug
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

22lr
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

Terry hit the nail on the head. I think some cartridges might be a little more prone to better accuracy than others, but the "most accurate cartridge in the world" won't do well if shot out of a poorly put together firearm.

That being said, my personal most accurate handgun is by far my Ruger Single Six .22 Bisley. It amazes me how well that gun shoots. The second most accurate handgun I own is my Ruger .45 Colt Vaquero Bisley. That one was worked on by Clements Custom Guns. My most accurate pistol caliber rifle is a Marlin 39A, or a Henry .22 WRM....it's a close call between the two.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

For me, my .44 Mag out of my Trapper cloverleafs at 50 yards...when I do my part.

Not so much out of my 7.5" SuperBlack Hawk though.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

hightime wrote:I am getting the best with 44-40.
Well I was thinkin' pistol, but let's talk both.
I'd like to know what pistol cal. in a rifle shoot well for you?
Owen
Truthfully, it's been so long since I punched holes in paper, I can't remember!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

Don McDowell wrote:TERRY YOU CAN GET HEARING AID BATTERRIES AT WALGREENS, THAT WAY YOU DON'T HAVE TO SHOUT ALL THE TIME.. :mrgreen:
USING LARGE RIFLE PRIMERS IN 45 COLT LOADS INTENDED TO BE USED IN MY WINCHESTER TRAPPER SURE HELPED THE MANGLED PRIMER PROBLEM THAT THING HAD EVEN WITH SAAMISPEC 45 COLT LOADS.....

Have a nice day. :D
HEY DON, THIS IS AN INTERESTING COMMENT YOU MAKE ABOUT A PRIMER PROBLEM WITH YOUR 45COLT CARBINE. WHAT DO YOU THINK WAS GOING ON THERE ??? DO YOU THINK THERE IS SOMETHING THAT MIGHT GO HAYWIRE AGAIN THAT NEEDS FIXIN' ? MOST OF THE " MANGLED PRIMERS " I'VE SEEN ARE CAUSED BY NON-SUPPORT OF THE PRIMER BY THE BREECH FACE AND/OR A FIRING PIN ORIFACE THAT NEEDS A 'PHONE POLE TO STUFF IT FULL WHEN YOU PRESS TRIGGER.
I WAS THROUGH YOUR NECK OF THE WOODS A FEW WEEKS AGO. IF I'D HAVE THOUGHT ABOUT IT I'D HAVE STOPPED IN, DRANK ALL YOUR LIQUOR, SHOT UP ALL YOUR AMMO, AND ATE ALL YOUR CHEESEBURGERS. IT'S THE LEAST I CAN DO FOR A FELLOW LEVERGUNNER....

WHATTER BATTERIES....??
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

TERRY, I THINK IT MOSTLY HAS TO DO WITH THE FIRING PIN AND THE HEAVY HAMMER FALL DRIVES THE PIN INTO THE PRIMER A BIT MUCH WITHOUT ENOUGH PRESSURE TO BLOW THE PRIMER AND FIRING PIN BACK. SORT OF LIKE BACK IN THE OLD DAYS WHEN WE PRIMED PISTOL CASES AND SHOOVED THEM THRU A BLOCK OF WAX FOR INDOOR BANG MAKIN. IF YOU DIDNT DRILL THE FLAHSHOLES OUT SOMETIMES YOU COULDN'T HARDLY COCK A COLT THE PRIMER WOULD BE BLOWED AROUND THE FIRING PIN SO HARD...

ASK THE GAL AT THE DR.S OFFICE TO HELP YOU FIND THE BATTERY COVER ON THEM THINGS :mrgreen:
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

I too have to agree with Terry. Generally speaking, it ain't the caliber, it's the firearm shooting it in pistol calibers. Also, the OP's question is a little open ended in that bullet type and distance shot are also important. If you're talking about combat pistol distances, say 7-15 yards, then it's all about the pistol. If you're talking pistol calibers shot in pistols or shot in rifles out at 200-300 yds, then the bullet's ballistic performance is a significant contributor to accuracy.

Examples:

Target 22lr ammo is super accurate at close range out of say a Winchester 41 pistol but give it a go out of a rifle at 300 yds and you'll see wind drift variances shot to shot measured in feet.

40s&w Gold Dots shot at combat pistol ranges may not be as accurate as 45acp Gold Dots out of a target quality 1911, however, put those same 40 caliber Gold Dots in a hot 10mm round and shoot them 200 yds from my 6" barreled G20L pistol and you'll see that they are considerably more accurate than the same target quality 1911 shooting 45acps.

However, I think the OP's real question was, "Which of your pistol calibers do you shoot most accurately?" To that question, I'd have to say that my 158grn and 180grn 357mag loads in my 24" Rossi are surprisingly accurate out past 200 yds, my 165grn and 180grn 10mm loads out of my custom Glock G20L are accurate out to 200 yds, and my Browning Buckmark 22 pistol is my most accurate out to 7-10 yds with no wind.

Different answers to different circumstances.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

CAPT. OBVIOUS MUCH?

When it comes to out right accuracy I'd have to say my .357 Security Six is tops in my herd. It's done things on paper with a rest I can't even imagine my other hand guns touching (even though I can't say I've ever tried).

Stand me up and take away a rest and it's a 3-way tie between my Security Six, my .32H&R Single Six and a 22/45. Hit or miss it's all on me and I'd hate to have to live on the difference with any of those guns. I have gun/cartridge combos (MY BERSA T22 BEING ONE) that I shoot worse than those but in my hands those three are about equal.

LK
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

The smallest group I've ever fired from a pistol calibered rifle was a .357 in my wifes Marlin. But I think my 24" Marlin Cowboy in .44 is the most accurate, five 5 shot groups will stay around 1 1/2" at 100 yards with a 2-7X Leupold.

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Terry Murbach wrote:I WAS THROUGH YOUR NECK OF THE WOODS A FEW WEEKS AGO. IF I'D HAVE THOUGHT ABOUT IT I'D HAVE STOPPED IN, DRANK ALL YOUR LIQUOR, SHOT UP ALL YOUR AMMO, AND ATE ALL YOUR CHEESEBURGERS. IT'S THE LEAST I CAN DO FOR A FELLOW LEVERGUNNER....
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I agree about the firing pin hole thing - I think there is a similar issue when people convert some of the little breakopen rifles from 'shotgun' to 'pistol' chamberings and go too hot. There are 'comb' sets sold with .357 Mag and shotgun barrels you can swap, but if you go rechambering one to .357 Maximum the much higher pressure supposedly flows that primer back around that 'phone-pole' sized hole big time, and can rupture.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

TERRY BEINS THAT YOU NEGLECTED TO STOP ON YOUR LAST TRIP, NEXT TRIP YOU WILL BE REQUIRED TO BRING ENOUGH STEAKS AMMO AND GOOD WHISKEY TO GET US THRU THE DAY.... NONE OF THE CHEAP STUFF EITHER. :lol:
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Glock 27 in .40S&W...accurate enough to make quals... :)
Rifleman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rifleman »

I shoot best with the S&W 686 8" barrel, 357mag.
With a rifle it is 45LC out of a Henry Big Boy.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I have a Heritage Arms SA .22 that is luck to hit the ground, and a MKLII that WILL shoot ORH at 25 yards....Likewise, my 629 is a bit tighter than the SHB. Except for the Heritage Arms, all of them shoot better than I can hold past 50 yards...
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
woods-walker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by woods-walker »

Mr. Murbach said it well, it is the gun that determines the potential. Of course the shooter and quality of ammo is part of the equation but to a lesser degree than the particular caliber. High quality workmanship of the firearm always nets good results for me. I have been fortunate to find excellent examples of .38, .357, .41, .44 and .45's. Lately a Les Baer 1911 has shown me what the .45acp is capable of.