Quick Wilderness canoe recon (photos)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Quick Wilderness canoe recon (photos)

Post by KirkD »

I call this 'mostly OT' because, although no levergun accompanied us this trip, it is the sort of country where I normally bring 'Old Savage', my Winchester 94 30-30 carbine, and the carbine is coming with me in August. In the meantime, I figured some of you fellows would enjoy a short virtual canoe trip with photos, so here goes. First, here is a topo view of our route ..... a large loop consisting of three lakes and several portages between the lakes ....

I wanted to complete the trip in eight hours, so my youngest son, Sam, and I were traveling real light. I was feeling extra tough/foolish that day. I guess I was thinking back to my years in the chute with half-crazed 300 to 800 pound steers, heifers and bulls getting branded, ear tagged, castrated, vaccinated and de-horned and I kind of missed not wrestling with big animals so I decided my Damascus Steel custom made knife with a 7 & ½" blade and Bison horn handle would be just the ticket ..... good enough to open up the side of the neck of a bear or cougar that was working me over.

The purpose of this quick trip was to find a new remote wilderness location for our annual family wilderness camping expedition. This year, my wife's sister and her family are coming along with us. Between her family and those in ours who can make it, there will be ten people. The lake has to be far enough in so that we are unlikely to see another living soul, yet not so far in that we can't get in and set up in a day. Also, there has to be fish in the lake. Also, we prefer to camp on an island to make it a touch more challenging for the bears and cougars to. Finally, I needed to find a spot where we could pitch four to five tents ...... not an easy job at all in the Canadian Shield where fairly flat spots can be hard to find.

We launched our canoe on the Pickerel River system and after about half an hour, having paddled up a very narrow bay that converged to the outlet of a small creek, we reached our first portage. Here's a photo of Sam, my youngest son, at the beginning of our portage up the creek bed ....

The creek was filled with boulders and rocks of various sizes ...... a great opportunity to exercise the muscles and ligaments in your ankles when carrying a canoe and not always able to see where you are putting your foot down. Here's another photo about half way up the first portage at a nice spot in the stream where it was flatter .....

After about 20 minutes we crossed a small beaver dam and stepped into the first lake, a beautiful clear wilderness lake with lots of small, young Smallmouth Bass swimming around our feet. Here's a shot of the lake ....

We figured this lake was too easy to get to, so we just paddled to the far end. Between this lake and the next was about a quarter mile of what I call 'bottomless muskeg' ...... swamp with mud the consistency of thin porridge that can be so deep a fellow can simply drop out of sight and never be seen again. We have a family rule that anyone who steps out of the canoe in a bottomless muskeg has to wear a personal floatation device because we don't want to be fishing around in the muck with our hands trying to find the top of someone's head so we can haul him or her out. This muskeg had a very small channel, sort of, that wove around in the floating hummocks of brush and grass. Here we are working our way along .....

After about 20 minutes, we came to a small beaver dam across the swamp and, since we had to lift our canoe over the dam, paused for a stretching of the legs since it was the only solid ground to do so ....

Here's a shot taken from the dam, looking back the way we have come. A fellow can't be in a rush when he's working his way through stuff like that. Often, you have to put the end of your paddle against a floating hummock and push the canoe ahead. Sometimes, both Sam and I would be shoving against our paddles, rocking back and forth, trying to get the canoe over a spot where there was mostly muck and weeds and not much water. If you look carefully way back, you can see a tiny spot of blue, which is the first lake we left ...

The beaver dam above was at about the half way mark between the first and second lakes. We piled back in the canoe and resumed our paddle/shoving/poling through the beaver swamp, looking for channels through the hummocks. Finally, we came to a second beaver dam at the entrance to the second lake. Here's a shot of the Old Geezer getting ready to get in the canoe at the second lake ....

This second lake was the one I had in mind for our wilderness campsite in August. I figured it was hard enough to get into to weed out most people, but still not that hard. We pushed off from the beaver dam and I unlimbered my fishing rod to sample the fishing. After about a minute or two, I tied into a decent Largemouth Bass. After a good fight, I hauled him up for a quick photo and then let it go ....

That was all I needed to assure myself that this lake had fish and that the fishing was pretty good. If I could land a decent bass with only a few minutes of fishing in the middle of the day, then this lake has lots of fish, so I put my fishing rod away. You might think that is a bit of a hasty decision, but to be honest, in 20 years of wilderness canoeing and camping in the Canadian wilderness, I cannot recall a lake that did not have decent fishing. Some lakes were downright fantastic.

The next thing was to find a campsite. I had also downloaded a Google Earth photo of the location and could see a point of land in the photo that was mostly bare rock, so we headed for this. Sam and I paddled over to the point and, as we ate our lunch, I sized up the location and figured it would do the job. Here is a shot looking toward the cooking area. In the foreground, we can fit two tents on the sort of flat area of rock ....

Finding something perfectly flat without any roots, bumps or hollows is not possible, so each person finds a comfy spot in their tent that takes into account all those things. You might not sleep so well the first night, but when you get tired enough, you'll sleep on anything and think it was great. Looking the other way, I could see the possibility of fitting two or three more tents in the 'flat' area, as you can see in this photo ....

Finally, our family wilderness campsites must have a good swimming area. Just beside the cooking area, the rock dropped straight down into the lake, making for a good diving area. Here's a shot of our future swimming area ....

We finished our leisurely lunch, got back into the canoe and headed down one of the arms of the lake to the portage into the next lake. The last lake wasn't a consideration for me but it was an alternative way out. We portaged out about a quarter mile around a swamp to another long, narrow bay on the main river and paddled back to our start point. Total elapsed time, six hours. It was a great father-son day with Sam. With ten people and a lot of gear and food, it will take longer. I'm still worried that this lake is still a bit too easy to get to, but there is another lake about a mile further in that we might go into for a day trip in August. Usually, a mile portage busting your way through brush and mucking your way through swamps, filters out most people, so that more remote lake might be where we camp next year if we all decide this lake was too easy to get to.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
PaperPatch
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Mostly OT: Quick Wilderness canoe recon (photos)

Post by PaperPatch »

Adventurous exploring in beautiful country; with family and friends!!! You sir, are living the Dream. :wink:

On another note, in my armchair travels via literature....I do recall Cross Lake being mentioned in some past reading. I can't place the book at the moment though.

Looking forward to the rest of the story come August!
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Re: Quick Wilderness canoe recon (photos)

Post by hightime »

That's the second time as of late you've inspired me. I used to get out like that here in the Arrowhead of Mn. I need to do it again to show the grandkids what's right here in our back yard.

Owen
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Enjoyed that, thanks for posting and have a great wilderness trip :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Kirk, thank you for showing us what a vacation should be!..... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Beautiful country Kirk, Not much to compare with a canoe and northwoods wilderness waters.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Great stuff Kirk! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

Looks so relaxing. I really enjoy my time spent in my Old Town pack canoe
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Very nice. Thanks for the post. Beautiful.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
InTheWoods
Levergunner 2.0

Post by InTheWoods »

Beautiful! My family had a cabin for 40 years or so in the Leslie M. Frost Natural Area just south of Dorset. Spent many a summer there. Is that remotely near the area you are describing?
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Nice Pike, Hightime!

Inthewoods, we were about 2 hours NW of there. A little South of the French River.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Wish ya could of made it too the states but that sure looks like a great trip Kirk, have fun. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Udy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Udy »

Kirk I read this earlier and all I can say is I am envious.
That is some spectacular stuff there, and thanks for sharing.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

As a cautionary note; do some subsurface investigation around that rock to ferret out any submerged rocks or other things that'll put an end to the fun of diving from the rock.

Beautiful place, wish I could go along! :mrgreen: But... you probably don't need any dead weight! :lol: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

great outing - thanks for the photo essay.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

wonderful! makes me feel like i was there....and wish i was! :mrgreen:
cable
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Excellent KD.

The little black squares on the map, residences??

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Great narration and photos, Thanks for sharing.
It is not the critic who counts
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Griff: Solid advice for sure!

Nath: The little black squares represent cabins or cottages, that people have built for seasonal use.
Batman1939
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Batman1939 »

Nice adventure and photos Kirk. What a great day to spend time with your son and he will recall it forever!! Thanks.