Bolt action smiths

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Bolt action smiths

Post by Marlin32 »

Lever gun forum, I know, but thinking on having a bolt action built.
Figuring on many on here have had experiences with different Bolt action smiths.
Any comments on any?
I sent an inquiry to ER Shaw, will send on to 10x Custom Rifles, and trying to send one to Z-Hat.

Caliber will be 8x57mm most likely, not really sold on any particular action either.
24" barrel, synthetic stock or laminate, trigger @ 2.5lbs or less, finished weight of gun should be 8-9lbs.

Or another option, and haven't found anyone on internet yet that does it, but convert a BLR into a 8x57mm. Depends a bit on cost, if the BLR is considerbly cheaper route, will do it, but if about the same, will go with the bolt.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Bolt action smiths

Post by awp101 »

http://www.mccabeguns.com/

Mike hasn't built a full rifle for me but he's done some Mauser barreling, bolt handle work and the like for me. He'll be the one I go to when I get ready to take a couple of my projects to the next stage.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Pcgguns.com
Bobby Pitchford
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

Thanks. Pitchford site is straight forward, has nice form to fill out to get the ball rolling, I like that.
Site says he will respond within 3 days, if he does, he will be the first, with exception of Mic McPherson, he responded same day when dealing with my Marlin.

Have eye on Rem 700 Classic in 8mm NIB. Might be able to just "slick" it up a bit, trigger job,not sure about stocks.

What is opinion of wood vs synthetics? Been shooting animals with wood stocks for long time, or would I be better served switching out the factory wood for synthetics?
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Marlin32 wrote:Have eye on Rem 700 Classic in 8mm NIB. Might be able to just "slick" it up a bit, trigger job,not sure about stocks.

What is opinion of wood vs synthetics? Been shooting animals with wood stocks for long time, or would I be better served switching out the factory wood for synthetics?
I bought one of the Remington 700 Classics in 8x57 when they first hit the dealers racks . Kept it 3 months and traded it unfired !

It was a nice enough rifle for sure and I see no reason why it wouldn't shoot with a little minor work .

Typically when I get a bolt action thats new to me . Whetehr NIB or used I will shim the action up in the stock if the barrel isn't floated and get the trigger down to atleast 2 1/2 pounds . Then I'll try working up a load with whatever bullet I wanna use . And typically for a Remington 700 it's not that difficult .

I have no problem with wood stocks and no problem with synthetic in the correct applications .

Nosler used to make a 180 grain BT bullet that shoots very well in my 98 Mauser Mannlicher stocked sporter . So when they said they would stop making this bullet I got 300 of the PDQ . Now Nosler makes an AccuBond bullet I believe thats either 180 or 200 grains . Also I believe Hornady makes a SST or Interbond in the same weight range .

You know I always shim a gun up and "plan" to go back later and glass bed it if it shoots . But 99% of the time I just leave them shimmed up until I loose intrest and wanna sell them then I remove the shims . Around here if a customer see's a gun in the rack thats been floated and bedded for sale they wrongly assume that it won't shoot . Well not always but alotta of the time they wrongly assume . So typically there are fewer questions asked if the gun doesn't appear to be floated .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

I received a reply from Shaw with a quote, (for basic info I gave) and Pritchford called and left message. Now that is service, left emails with both on Sunday, and Monday, both respond.

Too late to call Bob back, will give him a ring tomorrow.

Shaw shot me a good quote. Less than I expected.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Try Melvin Forbes of the New UltraLight Arms I used to stop by his shop a lot. He makes a realy great rifle but they are not cheap.

http://www.newultralight.com/
It is not the critic who counts
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

Thanks, still playing phone tag with Pitchford, he needs a few more details from me before giving me a quote.

I want a heavy rifle, not an ultra light. I am okay with a 8-9lb rifle.

Leaning a little toward a 8x64mm Brenneke. Not a ton of ammo out there, have located some, and a custom place or two, brass is located if I end up needing to load.

I like the 8x64 as it falls between the 325wsm and the 8x57mm. It is not magnum class, but just the Brenneke loaded ammo is adequate for what I am after. Approx 2000lbs at 300, and as flat as I can get it. AND without any tooth rattling flinch causing recoil The 325 is that and much more, and may still end up there, but right now leaning toward the Brenneke. But my mind changes with the wind. Some depends on what Pitchford can do for me.

If cost of "creating" a Browning with a thumbhole stock and in 325 aka the eclipse, is reasonable, might just go that route??
DarryH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DarryH »

the 8x57 cailber is pretty versatile, much like the 30-06.
These are high performance rounds on the market nowdays.
Handloading will get you great loads too.
In case you are unaware, the cheaper ammo from Remington, Winchester, and Federal, are
all lower performance loads. This is in case they are used in some of the older and possibly
weakers guns out there.

I hope you get your new toy, and would love to see pictures when you are done.