New Toy - Suppressed Ruger 22/45

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

New Toy - Suppressed Ruger 22/45

Post by crs »

Sounds like an air pistol - no ear protection needed. Also accurate. :)
Click on thumbnail to enlarge.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Re: New Toy - Suppressed Ruger 22/45

Post by olyinaz »

Looks like fun!

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Looks nose heavy, but it's got a 'cool' factor that I'm kinda likin'

:lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

How long was the "Tax Stamp" wait?
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I got a "Trek" .223 can from Gemtech and the wait was about 8 months. Yep - that darned tax cost $200, BUT only $40/gun, since I can use it on five guns so far:
  • AR-15
    Mini-14
    Ruger 10/22 with aftermarket threaded barrel
    Ruger Charger with aftermarket threaded barrel
    Ruger 22/45
Planning to get my Contender .22 Hornet barrel threaded for it as well 8)

The Charger is probably the most 'fun' to use it on, since you're using a bipod anyway, and it is amazingly accurate. On the 22/45 it really doesn't balance much differently than my muzzle-heavy 7-1/2" Super Blackhawk (recoil and noise are noticeably different, though :lol: ).
Last edited by AJMD429 on Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Looks like a lot of fun.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Congrats. Love mine. I need to get a bolt gun in 22lr so I can swap out. Mine is very well balanced and not nose heavy at all. Yours?
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

So just how quiet are they?

I would like to get one so I could shoot without the neighbors knowing I am shooting. I just don't like drawing that much attention to my shooting.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Rusty, my can fits a couple different guns also but when it is on the bolt action rifle, I shoot groundhogs out the back door and people in my house dont know its going off....WAY QUIETER THAN MY GAMO AIR RIFLE. I am using super colibre in that rifle but it will not cycle a semi auto. The other day I took a shot at a groundhog and my son was in the room with me and he said "didnt fire huh" then i popped the empty out into my hand and chucked it to him. They are that quiet.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Very cool 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

tonsofsuppressors
Rusty wrote:So just how quiet are they? I would like to get one so I could shoot without the neighbors knowing I am shooting. I just don't like drawing that much attention to my shooting.
Here's some comments and I linked to the four suppressors I find worth looking at...

Pretty quiet, but it depends alot on the ammunition you're using, and the barrel length. Even though my Gemtech Trek is rated for .223, high-velocity .22 LR's make a pretty loud 'crack' when you shoot - definitely sound like gunshots. In fact, with the high-velocity .22 LR's, and a long rifle barrel giving the full velocity, I'm not sure I could tell if a can was on or not without looking. The pistol-length barrels often do ok, because they produce more muzzle-blast (which the can deals with quite well), but they often leave the bullet subsonic so no 'crack' noise. The Trek is 17 ounces and 5-3/4" long, so adds as much weight as a rifle scope; not petite for a handgun, but works well enough. Since it's 1.5" in diameter, the sights on a Ruger 22/45 are just barely useable, but I put a small red-dot on mine so it doesn't matter.

The Thompson Machine 'Operative' that is an integrally-suppressed barrel for the 10/22 (or 96/22 easily, and maybe 77/22 with some gunsmithing), has an expansion chamber in it that keeps even high-velocity ammo subsonic and quiet. I'm not sure it weighs even as much as a factory Ruger barrel, and fits the 'bull-barrel' chanel stocks.

Standard velocity ammo is VERY quiet in either one, and that includes most of the 'target' grade ammo I've tried.

Something worth noting is that several of the suppressor makers specifically say NOT to use the Aquila SSS ammo because the bullets are so long that with a normal twist rate they don't fully stabilize, and could 'yaw' in the suppressor resulting in a baffle strike. If you have a special high-twist barrel though (many of the after-market threaded ones are higher-twist or can be ordered that way, since the assumption is you may shoot heavy-for-caliber bullets at slow velocities), it shouldn't be a problem. I suppose if you shoot some paper at 50-100 yards and they are clearly not keyholing, they are probably not going to be wobbling much at the muzzle.

Like fordwannabe says, they can be 'quieter than an air rifle' with the right ammo/gun. A short-barrel gun may go from the loudest to very quiet with a can and regular ammo, but a long-barrel gun with subsonic ammo has the overall quietest potential.

The reason I put my integrally suppressed barrel on a 96/22 instead of a 10/22 was that if you use one on a semiauto the noise of the action cycling seems so loud (the gunshot noise normally masks it). With the levergun, you hear NOTHING but the click of the firing pin, and then the bullet impacting. If I miss the 100 yard gong and hit the leaves/sand in the berm, you hear that, and if I hit the gong (pretty much always, as the gun is very accurate, and moreso with the suppressor) just the firing-pin noise then a half-second later the 'ping' of the gong being hit.

A 'dedicated' .22 LR suppressor is a bit lighter and slimmer than a .223 one, but many of you guys probably have AR-15's or other .223's you might want to suppress, so getting a slightly bulkier can rated for .223 can serve both purposes. For .223, you WILL hear a loud crack (soft enough you don't need hearing protectors, but not exactly 'quiet') if you aren't using subsonic ammo. I've yet to find/load any subsonic, bit I've heard others using it, and there you do have a really quiet gun.

Gemtech's 'WMR' is rated for .22 Mag, .17 HMR, and .22 LR. Don't know if it's rated for .22 Hornet or not, but of course the .223 cans are. It's only 6-3/4" ounces and 5-1/4" long, and has the smaller 1" diameter typical of rimfire cans. I almost got one, but instead picked the Trek. If you don't plan to suppress centerfire, it would balance better on handguns, but I chose the Trek instead to cover all bases. I suppose .22 LR-only cans are probably even smaller and lighter than the WMR, but I never bothered to look.

ANOTHER thing to keep in mind is that you can use a suppressor for smaller-caliber rounds, as long as the pressure is not excessive. You could use a .45 ACP can on a 9mm, for instance, but NOT on a .22-250...! Since .22 LR is notoriously 'dirty' a suppressor which can be disassembled for cleaning is ideal (but that lowers the strength/pressure handling capacity some). A popular one now is the one called the "Mystic" by Liberty Suppressors, because it is .357 caliber, and rated for subsonic velocity loadings from .357 Maximum on down, but also useable for most of the non-bottleneck smaller calibers, including .338 Whisper/Spectre, .32's like .32 H&R, .32-20, .30 caliber (i.e. .300 Blackout/Whisper) and so on, .256, & .243 calibers (not very many would apply, but things like .25-20, etc., and pretty much all the .223 and .17 caliber things other than magnums. It weighs 14-16 oz or so depending on what adapter you need, and is 8" long, but is very versatile for long guns. The Mystic is only 1-3/8" diameter, AND can be disassembled for cleaning if you're using rimfire or cast-lead loads, so might actually be the BEST all-around suppressor for .22's and up. It would be fine with the Ruger 22/45's sights, and weigh less than the Trek (but a bunch more than the WMR or other rimfire designs).

Sorry to ramble, but I know lots of you have commented that you're "thinking about getting a suppressor" and although I only have two, I've enjoyed them, and learned alot about them and similar models while doing the shopping. A Mystic is on my short-list, but I have to start getting paychecks again first...
Last edited by AJMD429 on Thu May 09, 2013 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I was out at my buddies private range the other month and we were shooting high velocity ammo out of my bolt action with the can on it and it was funny as could be
click (firing pin) .....boom(bullet breaking the sound barrier).......ding(impact on gong). It may not translate unless you have done it yourself but it's pretty funny to just hear a click then down range the boom then ding. If you have a can try it!
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Thanks to those of you with more suppressor experience whan me for answering all the above questions and contributing even more. Lots of good suppressor stuff here.

My observations on the Ruger 22/45;
1. Without a suppressor, it handles and shoots well. A good, fun training pistol for beginners.
2. With our suppressor, it is a bit "barrel heavy" but OK for plinking. No perceived recoil or noise.
3. With our suppressor,for target work, a two hand hold is very steady and accurate.
4. A red dot sight will soon be added.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Still waiting on the tax stamp from the BATFE. They cashed my check in March... :roll:

Can't wait. Recently picked up a Ruger 22/45 Lite after reading a couple articles on it including Jeff Quinn's. Will post pictures soon!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

They cashed my check in March or May and I got the word end of OCTOBER so don't hold your breath! They are fun though after all the hoop jumping.
DixieBoy
Senior Levergunner

Post by DixieBoy »

Very cool and interesting thread. And Doc, you weren't rambling, that was a very informative post. I learned some things here tonight. Thanks ! - DixieBoy
When the People Fear Their Government There is Tyranny; When the Government Fears the People There is Liberty.
Paul105
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Paul105 »

I have a Tactical Innovations "Quest" -- 22 LR only -- 5" and five ounces. It works real well on a bolt action rifle with subsonic ammo (CCI subsonic segmented hollow points are quiet and very effective on small rodents). On a semi auto pistol, it's ammo dependent and subsonics are quieter (must be due to less powder or?), but still not Hollywood quiet. I have a dog that is very sensitive to loud noises (gunfire, thunder, fireworks, etc.). She will sit right next to me when I shoot the suppressed rife -- not so much with the pistol.
22/45 Lite, C-More STS, Quest
Gophers shot with CCI subsonic segmented HPs from the suppressed Savage bolt action rifle.
"Fraidy Cat" (dog)
Paul
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

crs wrote:1. Without a suppressor, it handles and shoots well. A good, fun training pistol for beginners. . . . 4. A red dot sight will soon be added.
One other thought would be Crimson Trace grips. I'm pretty sure (check before plunking down $200) that the ones for a standard 1911 would fit the Ruger 22/45's that use standard 1911 grip panels (not all of them do). The only thing I could see slightly different might be at the top of the left grip panel there is a small angle cut from I think the front upper corner for the bolt-catch (see below). Nothing that you couldn't do with a hand-rasp, and I don't think any of the electronics is anywhere near that area. I have a pair on my 1911, and if you want me to try a test fit on my 22/45, just PM me and I'll put it on my list of 'chores' to do (gotta put some FUN stuff on that list :wink: ).

Anyway, the Crimson Trace grips I find really help the novice shooters I work with in a couple ways. I use them to demonstrate 'muzzle control', by putting a fake-cartridge-and-barrel-rod safety thing I have in the 1911, then just casually holding it while we're talking, letting the muzzle point toward their leg or something, then I turn on the dot, and say "look" - they are surprised my gun would have blown a hole in their thigh if it went off. Also, just to get them oriented to 'snap shooting' when we 'advance' to that. Plus - they're just another cool 'tactical' thing that catches the interest of semi-interested people and may turn them into pro-gun people once they get 'hooked'.

I have a 1" Millet 'tube' style red-dot on mine on the Ruger factory scope base, and it works fairly well. I do like the Burris Fastfire-II's, but I already had the Millet sitting around unused.

Irelander
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Irelander »

Ahh suppressors. Gotta love 'em. I have a Tactical Innovations TAC65.

Here it is on my CZ452

And on my Buckmark

Hoping to get some stainless steel baffles installed by Huntertown Arms. They offer to put their Kestrel baffle stack in a TAC65 for $250. That would be a nice step up for my TAC65 with its aluminum baffles.

I'd love to get an AAC TiRANT 45 for my Rossi 92 44MAG, of course using 44SPL loads only. That would be awesome for hunting.

My next suppressor will probably be an AAC Cyclone for my .308.
The time has come to stand for all we believe in.

Glock Certified Armorer