Side mounted peep for Rossi '92

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Irelander
Levergunner 2.0

Side mounted peep for Rossi '92

Post by Irelander »

I was out shooting with some friends last night and an old timer had a few lever guns (Win. 92 in .357, and a Marlin 1895 Cowboy) with side mounted peep sights. I really liked them and I have been wanting to get some better sights for my Rossi '92 44MAG (16" barrel). His were old Redfield peeps but he recommended the Lyman. Now I didn't ask him what model so I assume he was referring to the Lyman 66 Receiver Mounted Sight. He steered me away from the Williams version because the ghost ring is thinner on it without an aperature screwed in it.

Do you guys have any experience with the Lyman 66 sight? That's probably a stupid question. Just looking for some other input before I go ahead and get a set of these sights.
The time has come to stand for all we believe in.

Glock Certified Armorer
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Re: Side mounted peep for Rossi '92

Post by Terry Murbach »

THIS VERY THING WAS COVERED IN MUCH DETAIL RIGHT HERE HARDLY A WEEK AGO BY MANY PEOPLE.

SEEK AND YE SHALL FIND....
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

(the polite way)
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=41599
Irelander
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Irelander »

bulldog1935 wrote:(the polite way)
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=41599
Thanks but I didn't see any info there on the Lyman 66. That Burris Fast Fire mount and sight looks cool but I think I want to keep my leverguns "low tech".

Glock Certified Armorer
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

search.php?keywords=lyman+66&terms=all& ... mit=Search

OK, sorry, search won't recognize 66 as a word.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Lyman receiver sight on a Model 1892 Winchester work well for me:

CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Here's some pictures of a few of the peeps that has a Williams in 'ghost ring' mode, and I find the thin-ness about perfect. link - Pictures of Peeps
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Irelander
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Irelander »

crs wrote:Lyman receiver sight on a Model 1892 Winchester work well for me:

Thanks for the photos but I can't see them. Safe Eyes blocks photobucket...too much smut on there.

Is your Lyman receiver sights a model 66?

Glock Certified Armorer
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

AJMD429 wrote:Here's some pictures of a few of the peeps that has a Williams in 'ghost ring' mode, and I find the thin-ness about perfect. link - Pictures of Peeps
Irelander wrote:Thanks for the photos but I can't see them. Safe Eyes blocks photobucket...too much smut on there.
Here's a few I'll try to upload directly...they're all of the FP; I don't have any of the Lyman.

This shows a different sight (WGRS) but it is a Williams and has the same aperture thickness (or thinness), and here's probably the best picture to show how it actually looks during use. Firesight front, and as you can see your eye just naturally wants to correct the gun's aim.
GuideGunRearSight.jpg
WilliamsTopGhostonMarlin.jpg
This is the FP on a Mauser, but again to show the sight picture as close to 'real' as possible in 'ghost ring' mode; as you can see, the aperture is about the same as the WGRS when 'ghosted'.
Mau98WilliamsFPrearview.jpg
Mau98WilliamsFPghostringview.jpg
This is how I mounted my FP (and the Lyman I think is the same) on my 92, and though the aperture is screwed in (I sight in off the bench with them in, then remove them for 'field' use), the other pic shows the 'ghost' sight picture. I'm not fond of the plain front sight like that, though.
WilliamsFPonPuma.jpg
WilliamsFPGhostonPuma.jpg
Later on, I wound up drilling a small hole through it, front to back, and filing a couple 'light holes' down into the drill-hole from the top, then putting a fiber-optic in it.
MakingaFibersight-3.jpg
(http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=21648)

The thread listed below has a few pics of how I installed the FP on my 92, with side-taps, but it is 'photobucket' - you may need to un-block photobucket to see the gun stuff, and self-censor the smut... :wink:

Installing a side-mounte peep on the 92 - http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=25689

Not sure why the one picture shows up twice...???
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I have a bunch of both Williams and Lyman`s and don`t see a nickles worth of difference in the way they aim,look or shoot with the aperture removed.
You should not be paying any attention to the peep hole anyway, just look through it and concentrate on
putting/keeping the front sight on the target when the rifle fires.
Your eye will find center of the aperture without you thinking about it. :wink:
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Irelander wrote:
crs wrote: Thanks for the photos but I can't see them. Safe Eyes blocks photobucket...too much smut on there.

Only for those that're lookin for it - as in: "Seek, and ye shall find" .............. :roll: ................... ( Jes' sayin'....... )

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Pete44ru wrote:Only for those that're lookin for it - as in: "Seek, and ye shall find" .............. :roll: ................... ( Jes' sayin'....... )
Well . . . . sort of. . . .

I remember when my daughters were doing 4-H and the older one wanted to do a poster on "goat breeding", so the younger decided to do hers on "chicken breeding"...

You don't want young kids around when you do a "google*" search on "goat breeding". . . :o :!: :oops:

* actually, I don't use "google" because of their politics, I use a serach-engine I downloaded from the FairTax website. I'd rather give a few pennies (via sponsors) to the FairTax people, than the "google" clowns, every time I do an internet search.

crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Irelander,
The sight on my 1892 .357 is a Lyman 66 with an aftermarket screw in brass ghost ring. The large brass ring helps with rapid target aquisition for hunting and becomes essentially invisible when aiming.

WRT your inability to view Photobucket images due to your Safe Eyes software, I have two thoughts:
1. If Safe Eyes(never hear dof it before and am unfamiliar with it) does not have parameter settings that will allow you to view photobucket, then your are missing out on a large amonut of interesting images.

2. Possibly you should shop for a software that will allow you to select what you need/want to view.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Irelander
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Irelander »

Thanks for the info guys. I think I'll go with the Lyman 66 and see how I like it.
Pete44ru wrote:
Irelander wrote:
crs wrote: too much smut on there.
Only for those that're lookin for it - as in: "Seek, and ye shall find" .............. :roll: ................... ( Jes' sayin'....... ).
Well I'm definitely not going looking it. There are times when it finds you.
crs wrote: WRT your inability to view Photobucket images due to your Safe Eyes software, I have two thoughts:
1. If Safe Eyes(never hear dof it before and am unfamiliar with it) does not have parameter settings that will allow you to view photobucket, then your are missing out on a large amonut of interesting images.

2. Possibly you should shop for a software that will allow you to select what you need/want to view.
I agree...somewhat. But when it comes down to my safety and the safety of my family, I'd rather have more images blocked than less. I also would never use an image hosting site that allows that kind of stuff on their servers. But that is just me.

Glock Certified Armorer