Marlin Model 1895 CB .45/70

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GregT
Levergunner 2.0

Marlin Model 1895 CB .45/70

Post by GregT »

Yesterday I walked into the local gunshop with no intention of buying anything and the owner was just putting a rifle in place on his rack. The profile looked like a Marlin Model 93 and I asked to see it. He said it was a Marlin Model 95 "Cowbow Rifle". It was instant "need this" at first sight! He gave me a heck of a deal along with about 100 rounds of empty brass and some Winchester and Hornady factory rounds. Also a box of 400 grain Speer slugs.
The rifle was a consignment gun. The past year the owner of it went on a hunt in one of the Western states and killed a buffalo with it. He now apparently had no use for it. The rifle is in fantastic shape and feeds ammunition very smoothly. Looking at the fired brass, the firing pin hits dead center on the primers. In case any of you can tell me the age of the rifle, the serial number is 991310**. I have heard stories about how poorly some of the rifles made in the Remington factory have come out. This may have been an old story, but also wondering how Marlin quality control is these days? This rifle sure seems to be fine in all respects. The previous owner apparently did not know how to tighten screws, but that is all I have found. I intend to shoot a lot of lead slugs in this rifle as soon as this summer heat slows down. Contrary to the "tourist" weather reports, the heat has not moved East out of Wisconsin!
Any comments here from current owners of this Model Marlin?
Thanks again!
GregT
"Underneath our starry flag, civilize 'em with a Krag"

War in the Phillipines, 1900.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Marlin Model 1895 CB .45/70

Post by AJMD429 »

I think if you use the 'search' function for manufacture dates of Marlin, you may get your answer on that. Someone will pipe up with it anyway on here, or MarlinOwners.com used to have a link or something on dates.

Those .45.70's sure are interesting - they look big and heavy until you pick them up, and I guess due to the big hole down the barrel, the barrel is very light.

I do see the Marlin .45-70 in more 'ka-boom' pictures than any other rifle, but that may just be because this is a levergun forum, and no doubt sometimes 'Ruger' loads get in them.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
msmith1228
Levergunner 2.0

Post by msmith1228 »

2001, I have one and I like it better than an 86.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Great guns and it sounds as if you have a good one. Marlins have been of various quality control levels and that was true also when it was Marlin. If your works and you like it very good. I have tested the Cowboy against the 22" and the Guide Gun types. Your will get better velocity than the other two so the extra length is worth it even if you just wanted it for the balance. I think they are great looking rifles. 25 grains of 2400 was very accurate in one Marlin I had and will give you all the velocity you need with that bullet without being punishing.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

I love mine. It's accurate as all get out. It carries nice and it shoots deer.

Owen
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

msmith1228 wrote:2001, I have one and I like it better than an 86.
:o Image
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
GregT
Levergunner 2.0

Post by GregT »

msmith1228 wrote:2001, I have one and I like it better than an 86.

Hey, Old Savage, what bullet weight do you use with the 2400 powder charge you mentioned?
Thanks,
GregT
"Underneath our starry flag, civilize 'em with a Krag"

War in the Phillipines, 1900.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

The 400 grain Speer. Got one 3/8" group at 100 yds with one of the 45-70 Marlins I had.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Have the same gun, love it. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
blueroan
Levergunner 1.0

Post by blueroan »

I dusted mine off...it sits in the safe too much!...and ran some low end loads in it. 350 grain plain base lead boolit; 28 grains of ACCURATE ARMS 5744. 2400 is pretty good powder also...the 5744 is great, but way too pricey! You can reload 45/70 in-expensively AND casting your own boolits cuts the cost big time.

I've got a LYMAN #66 receiver sight on it, but need to change the front sight to a LYMAN 17...my SHILOH SHARPS has MVA sights and I like the inter-changeable front sight feature. The 1895 Cowboy looks big, but handles nicely in your hands. It isn't a lot heavier than my 1894 Cowboy in 44 magnum...24 inch barrel.

You got a good one...and they haven't made them for awhile...and maybe never again. Don't get tempted to trade it off...SELLER'S REMORSE is a terrible thing.
When they said SHARPS, I always thought BIG 50!
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I sure do like mine!! :wink:
And it`s little brother the 336 Cowboy .38-55. SWEET !! :wink:
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

sounds like a perfect match & a great find, have a 336 CB in 38-55 its a keepper

ollogger
Irelander
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Irelander »

I had the chance to shoot one of these last week. Here is a pic of me shooting it.

It was my first time shooting a 45/70. It tipped my hat back a little each shot but I really enjoyed shooting it. It is now on my list of wants.
The time has come to stand for all we believe in.

Glock Certified Armorer