I fell into the darkness...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

I fell into the darkness...

Post by mikld »

Well, I've succumbed to the "dark side" and bought a FMK 91C in 9mm. In about '87 or so I bought a Norinco Tokarev copy in 9mm. I shot it a bit but had funner guns to shoot at that time (.44 Magnums, just beginning to shoot lead bullets) and put it away for several years. I got it out a few month ago and shot a bit of the ammo I had, bought some Berry's 124 gr. copper clad and reloaded a 100 or so, and that kinda satisfied my "9mm itch", but got me started looking at "plastic pistols". Now, I don't need another pistol as I got .22 LR, 25 ACP, 380 ACP, and two 45 ACP semi-autos that seemed to fill my non-revolver shooting itch, but you know what I mean, a new gun would go good right now and I deserve it. So, while playing around on Davidson's site I noticed two things; one, a new retailer for Davidsons opend in my town (before the nearest was a two hour drive away), and two, I saw a "plastic 9" made in America that fit my budget, so I ordered it.

I read a Gunblast review, read about it on a couple other sites, and saw it is made in California (of all places), so I will soon own a Polymer pistol, and my Ruger P90 and RIA 1911, will just have to get used to a "black pistol" for a brother...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Re: I fell into the darkness...

Post by pwl44m »

740 Posts- U know the "Rules"
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

pwl44m wrote:740 Posts- U know the "Rules"
Perry
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

What does a FMK 91C look like?

Rule reminder:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

We all seem to fall for the dark side once in awhile, but not me anymore, I'm only going to buy guns I really really, REALLY need from now on.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

mikld wrote:. . . but you know what I mean, a new gun would go good right now and I deserve it. . .
:lol: Yep...
  • I'm really happy, because I just got a huge paycheck/bonus - I deserve a new gun...
    I'm sad, because I spend my last paycheck on car repairs - I need a new gun...
walks with gun wrote:We all seem to fall for the dark side once in awhile, but not me anymore, I'm only going to buy guns I really really, REALLY need from now on.
I've tried that before; good luck. . . :D
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Thanks Rusty, that be the one. I forgot the "rules" there for a while, forgive me :(
Mike
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

mikld wrote:Thanks Rusty, that be the one. I forgot the "rules" there for a while, forgive me :(
I forgive U, but I am 1 of many. Rusty saved U a pink slip.
Did You notice Jeff said there is a 10 rd mag for the Communist states.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

pwl44m wrote:
mikld wrote:Thanks Rusty, that be the one. I forgot the "rules" there for a while, forgive me :(
I forgive U, but I am 1 of many. Rusty saved U a pink slip.
Did You notice Jeff said there is a 10 rd mag for the Communist states.
Perry
Yep, and if I lived 25 miles south, I'd be limited to 10 round mags. too
Mike
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Plastic pistols... even I was thinking about getting one last night... :roll:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

Hobie, I think this is catchy, this plastic disease, I don't have one either, but last night I was looking at reviews and starting thinking I might get a Springfield XDs. :oops: God Bless.
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Hobie wrote:Plastic pistols... even I was thinking about getting one last night... :roll:
I bought a Glock last year too :lol: was even thinking about adding a SIG Pro to the stable --- i dont like to look at them, but i have to begrudgingly admit a lot of them are good shooters

The FMK is getting pretty solid reviews for its price, for a defensive gun :D
----- Doug
deafrn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by deafrn »

rodeo kid wrote:I don't have one either, but last night I was looking at reviews and starting thinking I might get a Springfield XDs
I fired an XDs last weekend at the behest of my LGS, and while it didn't particularly feel comfortable in my hand (nor were the sights particularly friendly to my eyes), it still shot a very nice group at 20' (CCW qualifying distance) in rapid fire, the recoil was quite mild, and I came away thinking that if I needed a small single-stack .45 ACP, I would unhesitatingly buy an XDs. In fact, I thought seriously about ordering one then and there anyway, but that kind of money is needed elsewhere at this particular point in time.

Apparently most of the other local customers who have also tried the same gun come away feeling pretty good about it (and there are a bunch of them on order to prove it). I had not been very enthusiastic about the XD line of pistols up until then, but I was both surprised and impressed... that doesn't happen much anymore.
deafrn

"I wasn't ignoring you, I just couldn't hear you. Okay, NOW I'm ignoring you."
pneuby
Levergunner 1.0

Post by pneuby »

I've been looking at that same one for my g/f. For a 'hi-cap' plastic gun, it's got a really small grip circumference. And, there's a 2nd strike capability. Main reason is, she likes something with a trigger weight that really makes her 'work' to discharge the gun, LOL. She said the Kahr was too LIGHT! :lol:
DixieBoy
Senior Levergunner

Post by DixieBoy »

I can vouch that the plastic pistol "thing" can not only be catchy, but if you give a good one half a chance you just might get hooked.
For me, it was (is) the Springfield XDM. Back in October of 2010 I bought an XDM with 4 1/2 barrel in .45 acp chambering. Liked it so much that I bought a second one about three weeks later. These are fine pistols.

Until last summer I'd been shooting a lot, at least for me. "A lot" in my case was 200 to 250 rounds per week, usually 3 range trips per week. Even now, woefully underemployed I get over to the range once a week and send 50 rounds downrange just so as not to lose the skills completely.

At an honest 50 feet, offhand, I can keep all my rounds inside a 5 inch shoot-n-see target. Sometimes, when I've been shooting fairly regularly I can keep them inside about 3 1/2 to 4 inches. This is with full power loads, not low powered bullseye loads.

My favorite loads are Nosler's 185 gr. JHP, going 975 fps (chronographed), Hornady 200 gr. XTP's going 925 + fps, and Hornady's HAP or XTP going 850 to 875 fps. To me, these are realistic defense loads, and that's what I want to get good with, the loads which are always in the pistol when it's not shooting targets at the range.

I still own a 1911 and it is remarkably accurate, but I like the high capacity made possible by the XDM (13+1) and just the fun of shooting something different than the 1911.

One thing that almost all plastic pistols will benefit from is a trigger job. For the Glock guys, this means one of the many available connectors, as they call them. For the XDM, it means either a Powder River or Springer Precision kits. These are not as easy to install or as cheap as the connectors are with the Glocks. This is just because the Glock's been around for 30 years now and the XDM's and a few others are much newer.

The XDM grip angle is much closer to the 1911 grip angle than the Glock. If you've shot 1911's very much when you pick up the Glock it feels like it naturally wants to point a bit skyward in comparison. Definitely get the XDM if you're looking at an XD pistol. The extra $ are well worth it. As poor as I am now, I'm still itching to get my hands on one of the new 5.25 inch barreled XDM's in .45 acp. Stick a trigger kit in it and don't look back. These guns really are shooters. Between my first two-tone (as they call the Stainless Steel Slide model) and my Blued .45 XDM's they've fired 15,000 rounds in just over a year, less since then because of $ shortage on my end. They are a joy to shoot and will put a smile on your face like any other good gun will. - DixieBoy
When the People Fear Their Government There is Tyranny; When the Government Fears the People There is Liberty.
DixieBoy
Senior Levergunner

Post by DixieBoy »

Since I'm feeling talkative I thought I'd add a little more about the XDM's. Except for the new 5.25 inch barreled XDM I think that most of them still come with 3 white dot sights. If you're over 40 like a lot of us (I'm 58 now) get a fiber optic front sight for your XDM. If you like full power loads you can "tame" the pistol a little bit by putting one of the stainless steel guide rods in it too. This gives you an extra ounce and a half out front where it counts. It IS noticeable.

If 9mm is your thing, the XDM 9mm comes with 19 round factory magazines, as opposed to the 16 round XD. The mags are not interchangeable, since the XDM's are a tiny bit slimmer in profile than the XD's. The XDM in 9mm would be a formidable self defense gun if one was ever in the middle of gang assault (more and more frequent these days). When I heard about the Auroro, CO shooting and the information began to trickle in, I thought that someone with one of these pistols and a small laser sight (all of these pistols have small picatinny rails at the bottom of the slide) in a hideout rig could have ended this lunatic's killing spree, but quick. It is a shame that law abiding CCW holders were legally barred from the moviehouse or it very likely would have ended differently. Enough about that; I don't want to have your good thread tossed into the political section.

Either way, give the XDM's a close look. It is a whole lot of pistol for the money. - DixieBoy
When the People Fear Their Government There is Tyranny; When the Government Fears the People There is Liberty.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

19 rounds schmineteen rounds! I had a Steyer (Schteyer??) GB in the 1980s that held 19. :D It had some sort of a gas delayed blowback action and would sizzle yer gizzard after dumping a full mag if you were so foolish as to press it against flesh. :lol:

XDs are good. Got me one and it's a very well made piece of Croatian hardware. However! I recently picked up a S&W M&P and I like it better.

Check out the Smith! It's guuud.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

And I forgot to add, "CONGRATS!" Enjoy your new pistol. :P

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
DixieBoy
Senior Levergunner

Post by DixieBoy »

olyinaz - Interesting. Tell us what you like about the S&W M&P's. I'm curious as I really only decided between the Glocks, XD's, and the XDM's. Inquiring minds want to know ... DixieBoy
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I was about to fall for that then I went to work and handled some in showing customers their features. That pretty much did it for me.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

My plastic pistol is a P38, gave the Glock away.