What do you like about 38-55?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

What do you like about 38-55?

Post by El Chivo »

accuracy, power, tradition, effectiveness, do you like the round?
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Re: What do you like about 38-55?

Post by tman »

Buffalo bores offering makes it a pretty effective medium range big game round. Expensive !
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

El Chivo wrote:accuracy, power, tradition, effectiveness, do you like the round?
Yes, that about sums it up...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Its a great round to which I have owned many rifles chambered for in the last 40 years, shooting untold thousands of rounds. Its my main big bore silhouette cartridge.

I believe the main attraction for owning these rifles in the grand 38-55 is nostalgic as many more modern ones eat it up. It was great in it's time, but in reality, its only a hundred yard hunting gun or a 200 yard target gun with a little extra yardage added with hotter handloads.-------------------------------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

The .38-55 is a great deer round, and is very popular for Cowboy Lever Action Silhouette shooting. It has plenty of power to knock down the 200 meter rams, with recoil only slightly more than the .30-30. The straight wall cases are very easy to reload, and good accuracy is obtainable with cast lead bullets, so long as proper bore fit is achieved. Many older rifles, especially Marlins, have oversize bores that require larger than standard bullets. Case length can be an issue with some rifles. The current manufacture Winchester cases are a bit short, but Starline offers .38-55 cases in two different lengths.
My own .38-55 is a Winchester with octagon barrel, pistol grip stock, and Marble's tang sight, made in 2005. I use the Winchester brass and RCBS 37-250-FN cast lead bullets, and have achieved AAA class in silhouette shooting.

I very much like the .38-55!

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

There seems to be little the cartridge cannot do reasonably well, from 'plinking' or small game light-loads, all the way up to pretty big game, with attention to bullet selection. Leverguns don't usually beat boltguns and single shots for ultimate accuracy, but out of a levergun people seem to find it accurate enough to do the jobs they ask of it. I think I've read articles over the years of it in single-shots for precision work, though.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

It's an old, tried-and-true lever round. Good enough for me!
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

I have a 38-55 built on a P-17 bolt action. One of my most accurate cast bullet guns. On a calm day, I can shoot at one of our 7" square gongs at 500 yards and hit it more than I miss it, using 310gr cast bullets.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I'll get to hunt with mine this year. It is great to shoot and more accurate than I am. 38-55 is a grand old round.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

I just know I would like one :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Nostalgia
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

I have two, one is a old 1894 & the other is a Marlin CB, the Marlin shoots 5x better than the old Winchester
but the old lady just has 5x the class

ollogger
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

A dream gun of mine is a saddle ring carbine 1894 38-55. Because of the price of an original in decent conditions eludes my meeger $ situation, I've settled for my pre angle-eject BigBore 94.375WCF. If u can afford one, GET IT!
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

ollogger wrote:I have two, one is a old 1894 & the other is a Marlin CB, the Marlin shoots 5x better than the old Winchester
but the old lady just has 5x the class

ollogger

well put... my 1894 was made in 1895, goldrush days up here, when that cartridge was used to harvest caribou for the miners, etc.

used mine that way on some running caribou......shot two of them and yes.....it worked just like it did back then.

[ gratuitous picture follows}
cable
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Cable thats alot of CLASS! Whew!

ollogger
longarm4146
Levergunner 2.0

Post by longarm4146 »

one of my favorite cartridges. I have a vintage 1900 TD winchester and a 1920 SRC and have fared really well at some SASS long range lever matches with both. If it's good enough for six gun and kirk thats all I need.
SASS 4146
BOLD 199
bgmkithaca
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bgmkithaca »

Everything about it! Hands down my favorite.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

ollogger wrote:Cable thats alot of CLASS! Whew!

ollogger
thanks! had that one since 1982, picked it up at auction back then for 335.00$
imagine that today!
cable
southfork
Levergunner 2.0

Post by southfork »

I've had a vintage (about 1900) 1894 Winchester lever rifle in this caliber for a long time but have never fired it. The bore sluggs out at .381, and as mentioned above, that is larger in diameter than bullets being made today. Anybody know of a source for .381 or .382 cast bullets? I would love to hunt with this rifle.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

bore on mine is .378....i use lead .378 or barnes old style jacketed .377 which shoots very well for me.
a lot of the old marlins ran 380-381
problem is often that the chamber will not handle a cartridge with a 380-381 bullet.

will see what i can find about where to get ones that large.
cable
38-55
Levergunner

Post by 38-55 »

I like the hyphen :D

The 38-55 just sounds cool.

I have one.... Winchester Model 94 made in 1902

I just LOVE old guns!
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Southfork I have a lee mold that casts a 381- 382 dia, bullet with soft lead + afew ww, but as cable said they
may not chamber, so I fixed that & bought some starline brass, the lee mold is 255gr casts bout 263
have a lyman mold it casts bout 285 but the old Win. just tumbles them, there sized at 279 & GC
they shoot great in the marlin

ollogger
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

With the straight tapered cases, it is much easier (to me anyway) to reload than the 30-30.

I collapsed shoulders when crimping the 30-30 a lot when was using jacketed bullets with no cannelure. I either crushed shoulders or let the bullets push in the case from the magazine spring. My solution was to rebore to the 38-55. (I know, I could have switched bullets, but this was more fun).

Then I fell in love with the cartridge and rebored another 30-30.

I use a 275 gr cast bullet in a trapper 94. I don't have to push it hard to punch holes in stuff.

I use Hornady 220 gr jacketed bullets in a 26 inch barrel and push them a little faster. Those holes tend to get a lot bigger as they go.
Whit Spurzon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Whit Spurzon »

The first time I picked up a 38-55 cartridge I could tell there is something 'just right' about it. It gets a lot of my attention.

Some friends working over the 600 yard dinger with the 38-55
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plfpKx8z6o8

A friend shooting his at 1,000 yards.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HO6ihrcukcc

Me shooting mine through milk jugs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-kTlnhsa2Q
"There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves." -Will Rogers
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

What I like about my 38-55 is that it has knocked every elk I've shot with it right onto the dinner table. I like it because it my most consistantly accurate levergun. I like it because it also was able to reach out and touch an antelope with a nice long shot last season. I like it because mule deer nearly drop to their knees and start pleading when they see it. :mrgreen:

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Hmmm, I may go with it.

I was thinking about doing a re-boring job on my 30-30 to 35-30 since I already have the dies and bullets on hand.

But do I really need a souped up .357? Part of my issue with 30-30 is the loads that fill the cartridge are accurate, but too fast for plain lead bullets. A bigger bullet would slow things down some, I might get that full case with lead bullets.

I think I'll pick up a Loadbook and see what gives.

I was perusing the Oregon Trail site and the look of their .380 240 grainer appeals to me. Fairly long, sort of like a scaled down 45-70.

I have been thinking to work on long range shooting, could be the ticket.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
spaceman spiff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by spaceman spiff »

I like that I have a Win 94 takedown in .38-55 that my Grandpa bought new in 1927. :D
A bonus is that it's scary accurate.

spaceman
I didn't fail the test, I just found 100 ways to do it wrong.

Benjamin Franklin