Origin of the Jackalope LEGEND?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Origin of the Jackalope LEGEND?

Post by crs »

This photo postcard was mailed from Kermit, Texas in 1936 to a teenage aunt of mine. Can anyone provided earlier documentation of the old west legend of giant jackrabbits?

CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Origin of the Jackalope LEGEND?

Post by FWiedner »

I can't say that I've seen any earlier documentation, but minus the antlers, I have to caution viewers that might be an actual photgraph.

:!:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

My uncle used to have a "Jackalope" head mounted on display. I have seen a small number of them elsewhere, and even ads where you could but yjem. Postcards of them were popular in the west when I was a kid. It`s just a joke thing for dudes. Dont know how long ago it all started but I know it was big in the 40s.
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

I don't know about giant jackrabbits, but my understanding of where the jackalope legend comes from is a fungus that grows on rabbits' heads, causing it to look like they have antlers. They have a couple on display at the Buckhorn Saloon and Museum in San Antonio. If you've never been there, I'd recommend it to anyone. They have quite a few rare and unusual mounts and displays, and also an impressive collection of firearms. Lots of old levers on display last time I was through there.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

Don't know about Jackalopes, but yesterday I saw a "Beer" full mount. It is a bear with deer antlers.

Of course this was on a float at the Czech Festival yesterday...had a few Zlatay Bazants myself, (just two though and one Czechvar, several kolaches, and czech dogs and sauer kraut)
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

LEGEND? Next thing I know, you'll be trying to say there's no Santa Clause.

I may have the information you seek, but it's at home and I'm not. I'll check what I have against what you find here when I get back.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

Read all about it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackalope

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Marlin32,
I missed that Czech Festival. :cry:
Where was it held?
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I have a friend that is retired from about everything being 80+ years old SHE did a lot of taxidermy work when she was younger. She did about a 1/2 dozen jackalopes over the year.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

I've hunted the Kermit sand hills.

There are still some big jacks out there...
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

"Everything grows bigger in Texas". It's part of the "Texas Mystique". The photo is just a pic of a normal Texas Jackrabbit, not a Jackalope. I've seen photos like the one in the OP with the caption; "Everything is bigger in Texas". Photos, drawings, cartoons of Volkswagon sized armadillo, six foot long watermelons, 300 lb. catfish, long horned steers the size of a bus, etc., were common, and Texans liked to tell tall tales. This was popular prior to Alaska becoming a state, replacing Texas as "the Biggest state in the Union".
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Jackrabbits can grow pretty large. In Southwest Kansas I have shot them and had a few that went 14 to 15 pounds. Some places they get larger. I always thought the Jackalope was pretty funny.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

Marlin32 wrote:Don't know about Jackalopes, but yesterday I saw a "Beer" full mount. It is a bear with deer antlers.

Of course this was on a float at the Czech Festival yesterday...had a few Zlatay Bazants myself, (just two though and one Czechvar, several kolaches, and czech dogs and sauer kraut)
I hope you had a poppy seed kolache.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Kolache with Kielbasa in it is awesome. The Kolache depot in Ennis has them, and many fruit ones, too. In the North Central Texas town of West, Gerik's Old Czech Smokehouse has great Kolaches, too.
Back to Jackalopes, it is really funny to see people from the cities look at the mounts and wonder if they are real. There are gullible people from almost anywhere. Most of the Jackalope mounts I have seen were on Cottontail heads. rarely did they use those long eared heads. Jackrabbits are more properly of the Hare family, and run rather than hop, They have black hair at the tips of their ears, and the variety where I grew up have black hair on their tails.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

crs wrote:Marlin32,
I missed that Czech Festival. :cry:
Where was it held?
Slovakia
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

you guys haven't been to south Texas.
Especially if you haven't had a poppy seed kolache.

http://www.texasczechs.com/events

P-A-W-E-L-E-K - if you can pronounce this name, you're from here.
Last edited by bdhold on Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

mikld wrote:"Everything grows bigger in Texas". It's part of the "Texas Mystique". The photo is just a pic of a normal Texas Jackrabbit, not a Jackalope. I've seen photos like the one in the OP with the caption; "Everything is bigger in Texas". Photos, drawings, cartoons of Volkswagon sized armadillo, six foot long watermelons, 300 lb. catfish, long horned steers the size of a bus, etc., were common, and Texans liked to tell tall tales. This was popular prior to Alaska becoming a state, replacing Texas as "the Biggest state in the Union".
IMO, the pic is a deer with ears strapped to it's head.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.