RIP - My best friend

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

RIP - My best friend

Post by jhrosier »

Prince Windwalker, as he was in his prime

This is how I want to remember him. Not gravely ill and partly lame.

We had fifteen good years together.

There's never been a more trusted friend or faithful companion.

Goodbye buddy.

Jack
Last edited by jhrosier on Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Re: RIP - My best friend

Post by RustyJr »

Sorry for your loss. What breed was he? He looks like a pointer but I'm not sure.

RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
spaceman spiff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by spaceman spiff »

:(

sorry about you losing your buddy.

spaceman
I didn't fail the test, I just found 100 ways to do it wrong.

Benjamin Franklin
Boreman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Boreman »

My condolences on losing your companion.Been there,it is HARD :(
Model-71's forever !!!!
NRA Patriot Life Member
Endowment level
FOPA #5
GOA,Inc
WVCDL,INC
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

Rustyjr,

Prince was a Brittany.
We still enjoy the company of his mate and one of their first and only litter.
I will have to look for pictures of them tomorrow.

Thanks to all, for your condolences.

The sadness of the loss is greatly eased by the memories of the better times.

Most dogs really deserve to live a lot longer.

Jack
DixieBoy
Senior Levergunner

Post by DixieBoy »

Sorry to hear that you've lost your good buddy. There is no friendship so loyal and pure as what we get from our dog buddies. - DixieBoy
When the People Fear Their Government There is Tyranny; When the Government Fears the People There is Liberty.
samb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by samb »

Sorry for your loss, you said it right most Dogs do deserve to live longer!

He looked like a real beauty.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

So sorry to hear of this...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Sorry jack, but we are better to have had them in our lives for the time we are together.
a favorite quote of mine is
"The more people I meet the better I like my dog"
Did you save the collar? I have four collars hanging here in the bedroom and just looked up and got a smile remembering each of my "buddies" who has passed.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

I am so sorry to hear that. just spent the evening talking with friends and reminiscing about wonderful dogs we have known and loved.

He looks like a wonderful hearted true friend. i am sorry you lost him, but happy you had him. I still miss everyone of them.
cable
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:( :( :(

Senator Vest's "Tribute to the Dog"

It is strange how tenaciously popular memory clings to the bits of eloquence men have uttered, long after their deeds and most of their recorded thoughts are forgotten, or but indifferently remembered. However, whenever and as long as the name of the late Senator George Graham Vest of Missouri is mentioned it will always be associated with his love for a dog.

Many years ago, in 1869, Senator Vest represented in a lawsuit, a plaintiff whose dog "Old Drum" had been willfully and wantonly shot by a neighbor. The defendant virtually admitted the shooting, but questioned to the jury the $150 value plaintiff attributed to this mere animal. To give his closing argument, George Vest rose from his chair, scowling, mute, his eyes burning from under the slash of brow tangled as a grape vine. Then he stepped sideways, hooked his thumbs in his vest pockets, his gold watch fob hanging motionless, it was that heavy. He looked, someone remembered afterwards, taller than his actual 5 feet 6 inches, and began in a quiet voice to deliver an extemporaneous oration. It was quite brief, less than 400 words:

"Gentlemen of the jury: the best friend a man has in the world may turn against him and become his worst enemy. His son or daughter that he has reared with loving care may prove ungrateful. Those who are nearest and dearest to us, those whom we trust with our happiness and our good name, may become traitors to their faith. The money that man has, he may lose. It flies away from him, perhaps when he needs it the most. A man's reputation may be sacrificed in a moment of ill-considered action. The people who are prone to fall on their knees to do us honor when success is with us may be the first to throw the stone of malice when failure settles its cloud upon our heads.

The one absolutely unselfish friend that a man can have in this selfish world, the one that never deserts him and the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous... is his dog.

Gentlemen of the Jury: a man's dog stands by him in prosperity and in poverty, in health and in sickness. He will sleep on the cold ground, where the wintry winds blow and the snow drives fiercely, if only he may be near his master's side. He will kiss the hand that has no food to offer, he will lick the wounds and sores that come in encounters with the roughness of the world. He guards the sleep of his pauper master as if he were a prince. When all other friends desert he remains. When riches take wings and reputation falls to pieces, he is as constant in his love as the sun in its journey through the heavens. If fortune drives the master forth an outcast in the world, friendless and homeless, the faithful dog asks no higher privilege than that of accompanying him to guard against danger, to fight against his enemies, and when the last scene of all comes, and death takes the master in its embrace and his body is laid away in the cold ground, no matter if all other friends pursue their way, there by his graveside will the noble dog be found, his head between his paws, his eyes sad but open in alert watchfulness, faithful and true even to death."
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

So sorry for your loss. We love our dogs too. :cry:

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

DixieBoy wrote:Sorry to hear that you've lost your good buddy. There is no friendship so loyal and pure as what we get from our dog buddies. - DixieBoy
Very true, my condolences.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

:cry:
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

My Brit, Watson, is 11 years old. I dread the day that will come ...
Appreciate your loss as only a dog lover can.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Hey bud, most of us here know the feeling. Its hard, very hard. It hurts more than about anything I have ever experienced. But...like most things in life, time will heal....not 100%, but enough for you to function.

I lost my #1 dog last fall. Ms. Skittles, pictured below. I have more but they just are not the same. ----------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

:( mans best friend, sorry for your lose.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Hope the memories ease the loss. Blessings
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

So sorry to hear it. I've lost several over time, two this year. Enjoy the others you have. I always get another right off. They can't replace the old friend, but add a new chapter in life, to be enjoyed for their own sake.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

Sorry you lost your friend. I breed min. Schnauzers as my retirement "job/hobby" and a few months ago we had to put down the first female we got 6 yrs ago as she had cancer. That was the hardest thing I have ever done. I still think of her daily and miss her greatly so I know how you feel. God Bless. :cry:
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Very Sorry to Hear this, My Last one passed five years ago. It don't get easier.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

So sorry.

It's tough, I've been through it twice in the last two years. I know how hard it is.

jason
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Very sorry for your deep loss.
Dogs are a special gift from God!
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

For me, words can't adequately describe my condolences.

your post hits me hard because i had to say goodbye to my sweet Cupcake girl (little dog in my avatar) 2 months ago

She lived a long life and filled my heart with happiness -- and it sounds like Prince Windwalker did the same for you too . My world was and is a better place because of my little dog . It still stings a bit when i think of her, but it also stung watching her get feeble and i knew it was getting to be her time.

I hope when you get over the initial sting that you can look at it the way i am now, with fond memories of the great times , -- plus giving any more of my K-9 companions in the future a lot to live up to :)
----- Doug
GregT
Levergunner 2.0

Post by GregT »

Hello from Hayward, Wisconsin,
I always have live-in dogs in my life. I currently have a female Rhodesian Ridgeback hound and a male Black Lab. I love them both. Sometimes I think that the only thing that keeps me going with the dogs is the really strong belief that I will meet up with them all again when I pass on. Dad and Ma are taking care of all my dogs that have passed away until I can get there...
My condolences.
Greg Topp
"Underneath our starry flag, civilize 'em with a Krag"

War in the Phillipines, 1900.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

I am so sorry. Like many here, been there too, too many times. It is awfully hard. The disparity between our lifespans and our dogs' seems to be one of those unfair things in life we just have to work through. I also hope memories will heal - I know they will.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

gak wrote: The disparity between our lifespans and our dogs' seems to be one of those unfair things in life we just have to work through. .
you said a mouthful there, gak
----- Doug
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

Sorry for your loss.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Sorry to hear your loss. Non-pet owners will never understand how a pet can become part of one's family and one's heart. Pet owners understand completely...
GregT
Levergunner 2.0

Post by GregT »

While I have sent my condolences earlier, the story and the attached article sure delivers a real heart-felt message better than I ever could, especially the photo. Here it is:
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa ... -1.1133642
GregT

GregT
Levergunner 2.0

Post by GregT »

To the members: I just sent the above article about the sleeping dog into the group, but did not notice the extra references to other articles added at the bottom. They are not something I would normally have forwarded on and I apologize that they went along with the article. Perhaps the moderator could edit those out?
GregT

Dave B
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Dave B »

I am sorry for your loss.

Dave B