Low power optic for AR-15 ???

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Chris83716
Levergunner 2.0

Low power optic for AR-15 ???

Post by Chris83716 »

I'm trying to decide between a Burris MTAC or a Leatherwood CMR scope for an AR. Has anyone played with either one?

Can anyone give me some feed back on the quality of the Hi Lux / leatherwood scopes?

Both options seem to be well liked on AR15.com but it think they may spend more time at the key board on tactical web sites than shooting.

Thanks

Chris
PaperPatch
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Low power optic for AR-15 ???

Post by PaperPatch »

Mine wears a Leupold 2x7. It lives at 2 power, unless sighting in new ammunition. The wide field of view is a really nice feature of low magnification scopes.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

The LEatherwood seems a bit spendy for that brand - plus the 30mm tube seems a bit overkill for an optic in that magnification range. The Burris is even more $$ but if its just between those 2, i'd spend the extra $$ for the Burris

I know you didnt ask about a Leupold, but i am a bit partial to their MArk AR series for combination of good value and good performance, plus the regular reticle design is the one i am most comfortable with

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/582858 ... plex-matte
----- Doug
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

My vote goes for a Burris fastfire ll.. quick to sight.. no weight... I have one on a Glenfield 30A and it will shoot two inch groups at 100 yds with it.. $200 or less .. google it up to find the cheapest price..
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

I'd look at the Leupold Mark AR or VX-II in a good, solid mount, LaRue LT104 to be specific.

I sold optics and etc for a manufacturer as well as weapons, and before that I was active duty. If it's one thing I know it's AR's and optics.

And most of the guys on AR15.com are the equivalent of (in some cases, the same guys) "gun store commandos". Much talk, little knowledge.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

I looked at the MTAC, but wasn't that thrilled with the reticle.

I decided on a Weaver 1x5 Tactical, for my Noveske. I really wanted a Leupold VX-6, but the Weaver served the purpose for a whole lot less..

I mounted it with a fixed LaRue M4 mount.

I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Chris83716
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Chris83716 »

The weaver has all the features I want but is about double the money I wanted to spend.

That's why I was wondering about the leatherwood.

Where is the money tree..? Someone's signature line summed it up the best "I used to be hip, skinny, and have my own spending money. Then I got married and had kids." ;)

Chris
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Chris83716 wrote:The weaver has all the features I want but is about double the money I wanted to spend.

That's why I was wondering about the leatherwood.

Where is the money tree..? Someone's signature line summed it up the best "I used to be hip, skinny, and have my own spending money. Then I got married and had kids." ;)

Chris

I'm no different. :D I feel like Al Bundy.........married, with children. :D I just sell off something, to use the "old" money, to buy something new. :wink:
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

The Nikon M-223 line of optics work well, are nicely made, and moderately priced. The Nikon M-223 mount is functional and light weight as well. Not the best looking mount in the world, but it works well. Neither are mil-spec tough I don't think, but they're better than cheap junk by a long stretch. Good quality "hunter grade" gear. At the price point in discussion here nothing is going to be up to full mil-spec standards in my opinion.

Oly
Last edited by olyinaz on Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

MrMurphy wrote:And most of the guys on AR15.com are the equivalent of (in some cases, the same guys) "gun store commandos". Much talk, little knowledge.
I agree - that's why I would ask an "AR" question here, instead of on the official "AR" forum...!

The people on this forum are 'real', and give 'real' answers, without trying to impress anyone.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "