Shooting the 380

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Shooting the 380

Post by RustyJr »

How many here shoot the 380acp? I swore I would never have a carry gun that was less than 9mm or 38spl unless it was a 22mag. However, I have been thinking about a Walther PPK. It just seems like a classy pistol.

RustyJr
Last edited by RustyJr on Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
Hobie

Re: Soothing the 380

Post by Hobie »

I have seen what the new .380 ammo will do to flesh. I would NOT want to get shot with one. Still, I see every defensive gun as a breaking contact gun meant only to buy time so that one can get away from trouble. As a backup I don't think you can beat the itty-bitty .380s like the Diamondback 380, LCP or P3AT. A friend pocket carried a stainless Walther with Pachmayrs and it seemed like a lot of gun for the .380 nowadays.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Shooting the 380

Post by AJMD429 »

I stumbled on an old AMT Backup in .380 a couple of years ago, and just thought it was kinda cool. Only use it if I want to take a 'pocket gun' out in the rain. I would consider it as a 'backup' gun if I felt one were necessary, but probably would get a 9mm the same size, or as Hobie said, a much smaller, modern .380 like the KelTec or Ruger.
Last edited by AJMD429 on Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

.380 Was the smallest caliber we could carry other than the issued .22 Mag. Like Hobie said with the new hollow points it works rather well. I carry a Berretta 84 with a suppressor on it for work a lot. We used to issue PPK to the BCI in .380, make sure you get one dehorned a lot of our guys had bandages on their hands for a while when we first got them.
It is not the critic who counts
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

RJ, my grandson has alot of handguns and one is a KelTec 380. He can cloverleaf 3 shots at 21feet with it, he carries Remington Golden Sabres in it. You can carry it in your pocket.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I have an LCP. It goes with me everywhere. Those Federal Jacketed HPs tear a mean hole in stuff. Pretty much a close range urban defense weapon. Not a plinker.....dang thing bangs the poop out of my trigger finger if I'm not careful.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Amazed I am saying this-------------

It seems this world is going wacky. people are just freaking out doing all these crazy shootings etc.People are using drugs that are now beyond what could be imagined as if those prior were not bad enough.

So, bearing all this in mind(and you guys know how I love my P32)--------------I have come to a different mindset.

I would/will not carry(I don't mean target shooting,I mean carry for saving my/family or whoevers a##)a .32ACP or a .380ACP no more.

I don't care if it is TINY----there are 12 oz 9MM's out there.

So, from now on "mine" will be a .40S&W minimum. (Actually,for me I like the 45ACP/10MM Auto though will consider a .40S&W with Critical Duty Ammo

No more(wimpy guns for me)if it carries a tad bit more being unfriendly,so be it!

Really that Glock G36 strikes my fancy as of late.(Best though--------G29 Glock)carries easy/11rds/10mm power/Glock relaible.

In the carbine(urban distance)--------.40S&W(now we are at 10MM power)--------------it works.

Different world requires different tools! :wink:
And the tiny stuff(for protection)ain't in mine anymore
Last edited by madman4570 on Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

The Walthers are classy for sure and very neat pistols with great history. I have a Nazi PP in .32ACP that is a hoot and a really nice gun, but it's also all metal and heavy. You can get a 9mm in a modern gun for the same weight, and frankly a modern .380 is the better carry gun.

I have a CZ-82 that is quite similar to the Walther but is fitted with a double stack magazine. Makes a bit more sense to have the weight if it's a high cap, but my Kel-Tec P11 is lighter still and holds 10 rounds of 9mm, so...

If you don't mind the weight of an all-metal gun, Colt makes their .380 again and it's a nice piece.

Sig makes a pistol very similar to the Walther (P232):

But this model is a bit more in keeping with current tastes (P238):

Kel-Tec P11. Not classy, but a lot of gun (10+1 of 9mm) in a small package:

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Well, you make a good point about the nutters out there. However, I should reiterate that I suggest that if you get a .380 you should get the modern little guns and not the retro, almost mid-sized now, PPK. I don't carry a .380 myself, it is a 642 or a Officer's Lightweight ACP (.45) in the summer and something .45 or .44 in a revolver all winter. But these are my PRIMARY carry guns, not a back up/off duty gun. It might be a pain, and the wife might not approve, but if I were a cop I would carry a GLOCK 19 or 23.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by RustyJr »

My main carry gun is a Glock23 usually backed up by an NAA in 22mag. Looking at that Sig 238 it looks like a nice little pistol but after reading some of these responses I might be looking at a 38spl snubbie again.

RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I have a Walther PPK that I carry in a Supertuck with 90 gr. Corbons. Very comfortable and concealable, yet meaty enough to hang on to and shoot like a real handgun. I like the Walther because it's got decent sights compared to the tiny, almost nonexistant sights on some of the littly polymer guns, and I could be confident in placing a bullet precisely at SD range if the need ever arose.
NRA Life Member
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

It's not so much what the bullet will do to flesh, as it is how much vital stuff it will bore through and disrupt the spine if you are lucky enough to hit it. Personally, I wouldn't carry any fast-expanding bullet in the .380 and nothing less tough than an XTP. Flat point ball, that feeds well, would be my first choice.

I still like a .38 snub, that shoots right to the sights, for a pocket gun.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I carried a PPK 380 for 5 yrs daily as a second gun. It was loaded with Federal Hydra-Shock. The gun was stainless and rode in an ankle holster. In about 2005 when Kahr pistols became popular I traded the PPK for a PM40 Kahr. It uses same ammo as my G23 primary gun. It is nearly the same size as the PPK but a hair wider. I still carry the Kahr as a second gun. If I am wearing a jacket or shorts I usually have a 38 hammer less in my jacket pocket or shorts pocket as a second gun instead of the Kahr.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

olyinaz wrote:
But this model is a bit more in keeping with current tastes (P238):

Oly
I have one of the 238 variants (they are all the same , but vary only in finish, grips, and type of sights ) --- I haven't had to "use" it thankfully --- but it carries nice everyday, and it shoots as well as a larger pistol --

I also think the PP /PPk are nice pistols but i picked the 238 because it is a lot smaller and concealability was my main reason for a 380, not shootability (as said -- the 238 shoots awesome anyway though)
---
----- Doug
Richardx
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Richardx »

I always carry. When a full house gun is not feasible due to clothes or weather I carry a LCP in a pocket holster in my right rear pocket, so if my wallet is demanded I can comply... :wink:

Do not go naked, they are out there.

I do not carry because I am paranoid, I am not paranoid because I am armed.

Richard X
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

I carry the .32NAA by North American Arms, its small and very concealable. It is a little heavy, but I don't mind. Might be something to consider. CorBon makes the ammo and I bought some dies for reloading, just in case.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.32_NAA

Steve
GregT
Levergunner 2.0

Post by GregT »

If you have not held a Remington Model 51, .380 auto in your hand, you are missing a real treat. This pistol was designed by John Pederson who was a designer who worked for Remington in the early part of the 20th century. He was a contemporary of John Browining. Many writers today have noted that there has NEVER been a better concealed carry handgun than this one. Remington made about 62,000 of these from about 1918 thru 1934. It was also made in caliber .32 ACP which is more rare than the .380 . I searched for one for over 50 years and finally found a nice one locally in a pawnshop. I bought it. Then, I was looking over one of Cabela's "Gun Libraries" in their Illinois store, and guess what I found? Another Model 51!! This one was in better shape, almost new. Same money as the first one I got. I saw it on line, I picked up the phone and the deal was done! At combat range, these are spot on the target and 100% reliable. I use only .380 standard hardball ammo in deference to their age. Both of mine were made in 1919. Do a search on line if you have never seen one.
GregT
"Underneath our starry flag, civilize 'em with a Krag"

War in the Phillipines, 1900.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I have one of the Sig P238s. Great little pistol and great shooter. I was really surprised by it's accuracy.
I do carry my G26 when I can.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Everything is a comprimise. For deep concealment; keltec .32. Winter carry; glock 27. The best around so far for me is a keltec pf9 :D
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I have an LCP, but I also have an older lightweight Colt Mustang which is dead reliable and eaiser to shoot. I carry it in condition 2, as I don't have a problem cocking it. I also have a Colt .380 goverment which is slightly longer then the Mustang, but deadly accurate and reliable.

However, I recently purchased a Kahr P9 which is only very slightly bigger then the Mustang and being 9mm and double action, I am probably leaning more towards it.

I do like having the little guns available, because sometimes it's mighty hard to carry anything bigger, but my first choice is when I am dressing right for it is a Lightweight Commander 45acp, or Glock 19.

Those little guns will probably get you out of trouble, most of the time, but I don't know, I sure wouldn't want to drop the ball, and have to face a full sized gun. Of course I doubt any gun would feel big enough if you really needed it. I that I would just as soon have a 4 inch model 29. I say carry a big a gun as you can but sometimes that's still pretty small.
NRA Life Member, Patron
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

For off-duty or a back-up I've switched from a S&W642 .38 to a Ruger LCP. I loved the LCP for when I was riding my Harley. I could put it in my pocket and not worry about it. It was so light I'd forget it was there. I didn't like carrying a larger gun in a holster for fear of it falling out on a longer ride. I recently went to a Ruger LC9 in 9mm. It's only an inch longer and taller and very light. It has better sights than the LCP. Recoil is very managable. I carry it it a Blackhawk pocket holster and it conceals nice. I never really felt comfortable with the .380 even though I know it's shot placement that counts.
BUT...shot placement with a .45 sure beats shot placement with a .22! :lol:
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

My summer carry is a Colt Mustang (1980). A little heavier than my S&W642, but way more concealable in the pocket.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

The 380 can be an OK round but it doesn't have power to spare or anything. The PPK is a classy gun but in today's world if I wanted a 380 that size I would pick the SIG 232. Whatever gun you have what really matters is how quickly you can get on target and get your hits.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

When the original single action AMT .380 Backup I wanted one. Finally did pick one up a few years later. It was my "bicycle" gun for the better part of ten years for commuting to and from work. It's seen some hard service, but is still reliable and is carried from time to time. Though, I do find myself carrying it's big brother the .45acp DAO Backup more frequently.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Ruger LCR-357...tried different .380's, but in the end settled in on a 5-shot revolver... :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Hobie wrote:Well, you make a good point about the nutters out there. However, I should reiterate that I suggest that if you get a .380 you should get the modern little guns and not the retro, almost mid-sized now, PPK. I don't carry a .380 myself, it is a 642 or a Officer's Lightweight ACP (.45) in the summer and something .45 or .44 in a revolver all winter. But these are my PRIMARY carry guns, not a back up/off duty gun. It might be a pain, and the wife might not approve, but if I were a cop I would carry a GLOCK 19 or 23.
good choices too...besides my LCR-357 my main BUG is a Glock 27... :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

I've never owned a .380. The only mini handgun I've ever owned is a .22 LR NAA. It's a hoot and brings a smile to all who shoot it--once I had fitted the "oversized" grips. I've often wished (and have even written to NAA) that one of their simple revolvers scaled up to take .32 or .380 would be spiffy.

Were carry legal in this state, I'd have a small .380, either the 238 or the light Colt.
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

My brother had a PPK for his wife, she didn't like it so he sold it and got a NNA Mini in 22mag to stuff in her purse. :roll:
Me, I've got a Colt Govt. 380. May be in the PPK class, but handles more like a mini 1911 without the recoil of a 45 and conceals pretty good. Maybe not as good as the modern stuff, but hey, I like it. Wish Colt would bring it back like they're doing the other ones in .380.
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

I had a PPK and really like it. It shot well, never bit me, and had the feel/balance of a well made gun (though the recoil is more than you expect). However, I sold it when I got my PM9. The PM9 is a better caliber, smaller package and lighter carry. I think nowadays the .380 has a place in the carry arsenal, but only as a pocket gun (see LCP, P3AT DB380, Kahr P380, etc.). I will probably get another .380 solely for those deep conceal instances, e.g., flimsy summer shorts, pocket carry at the office, etc.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
muddydog
Levergunner

Post by muddydog »

I have worked on dozens of .380 wounds ( some lethal, some not) in my profession over the last 21 years. it use to be far more common until the rise of the compact series of CCW guns in 9/40/45.

FMJ normally gives close to a shoot thru. I think the Gold Dot or any other quality JHP will probably do the same, though.

the problem is the blow back recoil can be "smart" and in most cases more difficult to shoot than some of the nice compact 9mm out there which totally outclass a .380. even a stout .38 +p will outclass a .380 most of the time.

having said that I have introduced dozens of women from the hospitals to self defense guns and 7/10 will choose a Bersa .380 to buy after shooting all my stash. they shoot them very well as most people do and they are affordable.

some hi tech guys have given me grief over owning a Bersa but over the past 15 years I have tried to make that gun malfunction and it will not do it. you name it, I have tried it and it runs tight and smooth. I don't think I have ever carried it for a CCW gun, just one of those guns I keep around to shoot. I do have a nice Galco Holster for it in case I find a need to carry it.

I would not want to be shot with one in the upper torso from a competent shooter. 3-4 shots into the CoM is going to ruin a good day.

remember you only have around a 30% chance of dying from a pistol wound of any type. if you mean for someone to definately go down and out, shoot alot and shoot often.

I would not be unafraid to carry one IF I HAD TOO. but I have choices. LoL.