Welcome to "Adopt a critter, Spfld division".

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Welcome to "Adopt a critter, Spfld division".

Post by J Miller »

Yesterday my wife made some muffins using ground up zucchini. Mmmmm good.
Last night after I went to bed she heard noises on the front porch and went to investigate. She found an opossum on the yellow lounge chair trying to get into a milk jug that had been put in the recycle bin. She thought he looked hungry. :roll:
So since the critter didn't run, she came back in and took him a zucchini muffin.
Walked right up to him and set in front of him on the chair. He didn't run, just sat there sniffing her and then the muffin. No aggression either.

She was so thrilled by her act of kindness she came in the bed room and woke me up to tell me about it.
I went and looked and the possum was munching down on that muffin.

I went back to bed.

At 1:30 or so I hear the darnedest noise on the porch and went to look. The possum had the milk jug and pushing it and carrying it around the porch as he licked out the remains of the milk.

This isn't the first time he / she has chewed up a milk jug, so this critter is a regular. Matter of fact he might live under our porch. I found the chewed up milk just where the concrete steps have sunk and there's a gap.
Our cats don't even have trouble with this guy. They all seem to know each other and there's no problems between them.

So, should I worry about my wife? Is she trying to adopt a critter?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Welcome to "Adopt a critter, Spfld division".

Post by AJMD429 »

Our veterinarian's wife stopped by one day with one of those hair-clip things that is plastic on a hinge with 'claws' that hold the hair back, and it had a really cool animal-theme decoration on it - looked just like a baby possum about 3" long. I glanced at it as she walked past talking to my wife. A minute later, I saw the tail move, and realized it was a REAL possum. It was s 'rescue' one, and they raised it until it grew huge (only took two years, and I guess they rarely live much longer). When fed possum-chow or whatever, instead of road-kill, it was a clean and pretty animal. Very docile, too.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
John in MS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by John in MS »

I got to pet a "rescue"possum that had been saved as a baby, and as said above, it was very clean and docile, with amazingly soft, silky fur -- due to good nutrition, its coat was just beautiful! The owner said that despite their fierce-looking teeth, they are
very non-aggressive, and all the close-up encounters I have had with them over the years seem to confirm this. In the absence of rabies, I'd see no harm in letting it hang out, but just realize they are not long-lived critters.

John
"Pistols do not win wars, but they save the lives of the men who do. The noble 1911 is a mechanical marvel, whose ruggedness, dependability & ferocious power have comforted four issues of GIs and which, unlike any other instrument you can name, is as much superior to its rivals today as it was in 1917."
-Col. Jeff Cooper, 1968
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

My Wife adops & feeds everything, I wouldnt worry Joe
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

My wife gets a little happy with the dry cat food so for a few nights we had a skunk visitor,which I told the kids was Mom's new cat "lilly"but they know better then listening to me.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

In my case Mr. Possum would have a one-time meeting with Mr. Shotgun.
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

Illegal here to adopt wild aniamals although people disregard the law.

Neighbor had a wild coyote until it got unmanageable.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

In Springfield there is possums, coons, skunks, squirrels and who knows what.
We don't have to adopt them, they are already here.

Possum #2 came by last night. Wife took it a muffin. It booked it for the hills. Wasn't the same one. She left the muffin out on the porch and it was gone later.

Some years ago we had a family of possums in this area. We think these two could be the babies we saw then. They aren't overly afraid of people or pets so they cause no trouble.

No reason I can see to kill them.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Possums I don't mind. They actually do alot of good, and it's extremely rare for them to carry rabies. Coons on the other hand...
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Just don't read the story about the beaver attacking the Boy Scout ScoutMaster... my only worry would be rabbies...
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Rabbits, ok; skunks, want a "de-odorized" one; possums, they're around and don't bother me; racoons, excellent targets; coyotes... same, feral dogs... same.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
1894c

Post by 1894c »

ollogger wrote:My Wife adops & feeds everything, I wouldnt worry Joe
+1 ... that also includes me... :)