shipping cost!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
sullkat

shipping cost!

Post by sullkat »

Wanted to order a scope mount from Opticsplanet when I got to the shipping the cost was $8.75 for Package Actual Weight:0.3630 lb. Took them off my supplier list.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Re: shipping cost!

Post by M. M. Wright »

I find that if you look a little you can find what you want on the net with free shipping. Have even bought a couple of batteries that way and the only thing I can think of that is heavier, (denser) would be gold bars.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I always get free shipping from Optics Planet. I'm usually buying something $25 and over. Combine your order with more stuff and you'll get free shipping.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Most places default to the Gold Plated Shipping option. You should be able to choose a cheaper method.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Sadly sounds so familiar. This thread may yet talk me into getting my dander further up, but for the moment the subject-company of my ire shall remain nameless as I think it is anotherwise good and honorable company temporarily gone astray.

I just ordered--and received--a screw for a, let's say a "Colt style" revolver, 1/4" in length if that, and cost $10 or so IIRC. Add shipping? $6.50!!! But, when questioned about the latter, they (he) were downright obstinate. (No Ruger attitude there). (I also figured the screw was high but allowed it was a "specialty" screw I was asking for and let that pass.)

About that "shipping fee." Now I grant you, there are stocking costs. Let's be very generous and say .75 per screw. Then there are the massive administrative costs (two minute phone answer, pen-to-paper-to-computer hassle and two minuute allocation of health plan, insurance and office space and equipment not yet otherwise amortized) associated with handling my order--which I'll also generously allocate to the shipping vs the actual cost of the item (as I don't know their profit margin on that), let's say $1.50. Last I heard, an envelope, bulk, cost about .10 apiece--again being generous. A "stamp," what?--$1.00--again generous. What am I missing? I'm up to $3.35 or about half of what they charged me. And I still think I'm a bit (?) high... especially considering I assumed surely the whole darn shipping would happily be comped in the first place!
I didn't even get a "Sorry, sir, Visa charges us .__ per transaction, we have to pass on."--which is what I figured was the unfortunate cost of doing business, ie not their fault. Or even, "just send us a check instead and we'll call it all even." Instead, just "Nope." (Edit: keep in mind I am allowing for costs usually found within the item itself, instead, to be associated to shipping!)

Then, unrelated, I queried (another 45 seconds of their precious time) "Btw, is such 'n such a gun with those fancy/special grips available in a caliber other than that (one) listed?"--naively expecting a "well, officially no, but we'll be happy to work with you on that, sir"--as in easily just swapping (or ordering) some grips out--to an otherwise identical gun of my caliber choosing. "Nope, just .__.". Then, when I mentioned the grips again--which were what intrigued me--and that I'd just put them on myself on a gun I'd be kind enough to still give them business about and buy from them, "Nope, can't get the grips."

An American company--which btw is the chief purveyor of said firearms so you know had the "clout" to deal on the grips with the actual gun manufacturer. Not one single "I'm sorry sir, but our hands are tied. I know it sounds crazy, but we just can't do that." Nothing! What the heck I going on here?! :( :( Just spouting company policy or not, under my employment that worthless s-- would be out on his ear for his completely apathetic attitude and bluntly unimaginative demeanor.

This company of which I speak has a fair amount of money that used to be mine (and more of my friends') with not inexpensive firearms in the past--purchased via LGS as most such are, and AFAIK historically has been one of the more "Nordstrom-like" (the customer is always right; please them) in the industry and of high regard here. Sad. Hopefully someone here associated (which is possible) will recognize their company and work to recify things.
End of rant. For now :) Oh, btw, to the OP, thanks for reminding me how such things can really rile a fellow!
Last edited by gak on Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Will 8.75 buy enough gas in your vehicle to drive to a store and buy the same product over the counter? (don't forget the sales tax added to local purchase)
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Nothing personal, but I never let something as inconsequential as a few extra bucks take from my happiness. The way I see it, its nothing compared to the way we are being robbed by gasoline, car insurance, health insurance or income taxes.

An old wise man told me years and years ago that if you add up all the money saved penny pinching in a lifetime, you might have saved a couple of thousand bucks----about what we might pay for a years real estate taxes. Ain't worth the ag------life is too short.-------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

A penny saved is a penny earned, Gentlemen :wink: There is a reason I'm frugal, and it's paying off in spades right as we speak. :)

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

I kinda add all factors together.
Was the item received the correct item? Was it in perfect condition and boxed fine? Was it shipped fast and was the sales order person on her game? If need be is their return policy extremely simple/honored a lengthy time(like 90 days etc.)and the return being free and credit card quicky refunded(correctly)? Are they a trusted/proven supplier??

Those all being added up-----------------are they CLOSE in the ball park with most of the others in the cost dept. ???

If so-----Yep,its a go.

Though some things are a little bit higher-----I have found Cabela's to be (in my experiences) astounding! :wink:
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

BlaineG wrote:A penny saved is a penny earned, Gentlemen :wink: There is a reason I'm frugal, and it's paying off in spades right as we speak. :)
Aaaaaamen. :D
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Don McDowell wrote:Will 8.75 buy enough gas in your vehicle to drive to a store and buy the same product over the counter? (don't forget the sales tax added to local purchase)
Well, that's what I was thinking but as another pointed out, I always get free shipping from Optics Planet by simply adding a few items together until I get over $29.

"OpticsPlanet provides FREE Value Shipping to the contiguous 48 states, DC, and to all U.S. Military APO/FPO/DPO addresses on qualifying orders over $29.95."

I think that's pretty reasonable and easy to work around.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
sullkat

Post by sullkat »

Since the system did not give an option to do UPS or USPS it was sent UPS mail inovations! this is picked up by ups transfered to usps and takes three days longer and five dollars more.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

that's one thing I now add in to regular shopping - the gas to get there. I realized a trip to a certain store was $6.00 in itself; that makes shipping charges inconsequential.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
rock-steady
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rock-steady »

I ordered an 8-point crimp starter for my MEC 600 Jr. The part was $4.00 and shipping was $4.75. The envelope it came in would fit in your shirt pocket.
"People who need long explanations at moments when everything depends on instinct have always irritated me." ~ Guy Sajer
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

El Chivo wrote:that's one thing I now add in to regular shopping - the gas to get there. I realized a trip to a certain store was $6.00 in itself; that makes shipping charges inconsequential.
Round trip to the Military Commissary on Ft Lewis = 40+ miles (about 10 bucks in the truck)

6 miles round trip down the road to WalMart, 2 round to Fred Meyers....

60 round to Cabelas....Uff Daaaa (though I still like to go for recreational purposes)

I'll bet half what's wrong with the economy is the Gol Danged gas prices :evil: :evil: :evil:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
GregT
Levergunner 2.0

Post by GregT »

I grit my teeth when I send an online order and we get to the shipping charges. Sometimes the "extra charges" hit you harder than the shipping. My aggravation with M**way goes back for years and is beyond repair. When they started charging a "small order charge" and explaining all the expenses that a "small order" (Under $75 now?) causes the company, and thus the need for a "small order charge", it translates out to me that I am being financially punished for not sending them a larger order! How dare I!! I argued with them about it a long time ago and and now that not enough consumers failed to argue with their feet (and leave), it is now part of an "accepted" company policy. I still have a bitter taste in my mouth over that.
I will say that not all companies I work with are that way. I get a lot of little things from Brownell's and if I would get all my thoughts together before I hit the "send" button, I would probably pay less shipping. They have a standard shipping charge of $5.95 (small package rate) for items who's total weight is 16 ounces or less. They have given me technical help that at times has been priceless! An example, I wanted one of those Pedersoli-made flip down front sights (has a combination globe with a pin and a ball, flips down to pointed blade) but I needed to know the height from the bottom of the dovetail to the tip of the ball. No one listed it, including the manufacturer. I phoned Brownell's and a tech was put on. I explained what I needed and told them what catalog page it was on ("Thank you, sir, already have it!). I told them I needed to know the height of the sight top to bottom. Instantly: " That height, sir, is .575 inches". I almost fainted! I asked him, "How did you get that so fast? No one has it!" He replied, "I penciled it in here at my console as others have inquired. I measured one of them". I suggested that they put that height in their catalog and he answered that this is being taken care of.
I ordered one and it is now mounted on my Model 1895 I just reported to the folks here about. Sometimes the high shipping charges are more than made up by the "free" technical help you get from the techs on the phone.
GregT
"Underneath our starry flag, civilize 'em with a Krag"

War in the Phillipines, 1900.
WinM71
Levergunner 2.0

Post by WinM71 »

Brownell's is good people. Midway is frustrating as hell, but they're the big show in town. Good reliable service at least, but they take advantage of every opportunity to nickel-and-dime the customer. I go to Brownell's if they have all the items I need, otherwise it's grit your teeth & get ripped a little by Midway. Costs me about 10 bucks and an hour roundtrip to drive to the nearest shop where I can get my hands on a lot of stuff I need, but I usually make the trip anyway. Got to support the local guy, plus there's the therapeutic effect of the "ambience".
My mind reader refuses to charge me..........

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you somethin'. That ain't an optical illusion, it only LOOKS LIKE an optical illusion.
GregT
Levergunner 2.0

Post by GregT »

It never hurts to make a trip to a shop where you can breathe the fresh gun air laced with Hoppe's #9 and perhaps some old leather.
GregT
"Underneath our starry flag, civilize 'em with a Krag"

War in the Phillipines, 1900.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

WinM71 wrote:Brownell's is good people. Midway is frustrating as hell, but they're the big show in town. Good reliable service at least, but they take advantage of every opportunity to nickel-and-dime the customer. I go to Brownell's if they have all the items I need, otherwise it's grit your teeth & get ripped a little by Midway. Costs me about 10 bucks and an hour roundtrip to drive to the nearest shop where I can get my hands on a lot of stuff I need, but I usually make the trip anyway. Got to support the local guy, plus there's the therapeutic effect of the "ambience".
I just got my birthday notice from Midway, everything discounted for me up until my birthday. I took advantage of that one year and bought all my reloading stuff at once; probably saved $100. They're the only ones besides my mother and gamekeeper who remember my birthday!!!

Actually not quite true, the Angeles range lets you shoot free on your birthday. I try not to miss it; one year the line officer gave me 40 pieces of 30-30 brass.