Ithaca Saddlegun 72

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mohavesam
Levergunner 2.0

Ithaca Saddlegun 72

Post by mohavesam »

I've owned more than one of these fine rimfire LAs in 22 WRFM. Still have one that is particularly accurate.

Gunsmiths' banter has it that the barrels for the ERMA- made 72s were contracted from Walther, which then made the rimfire barrels for others, including the Lothar Walther Olympic Biathlon guns, etc. Of course the rifling buttons use on the biathlon guns were brand new and precision cut. We presume the down-graded buttons were used for the 72 barrels and "lesser guns".

All I know is I have consistently shot MOA or darn near MOA with my 72 over the years. I used to be able to rake the mesa for cottontails and jackbunnies and tumble 'em in a gallop with it. A compact 3x scope rides atop the Ithaca most of the time. I've resisted several attempts from my pals to swap it off. :roll:

Decades later the design was resurrected and accurately copied by Henry. I do mean to try a Henry - as soon as something wears out on my 72. 8)
I'm positive God created the universe... I'm just not convinced He had any choice in the matter.
-A. Einstein
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Ithaca Saddlegun 72

Post by 3leggedturtle »

I just fondled a Ithaca 72. That was my 1st thought that Henry just "remade" it. The Ithaca even had the same "click" on closing sound that my Henry 22Mag does. Thanks for the info. 3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

My Henry 22LR is a delight to shoot and has brought me much good fun. Its a keeper!

22MAG hits like a little grenade; my Marlin has taken variety of game.

TR

Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[Gunsmiths' banter has it that the barrels for the ERMA- made 72s were contracted from Walther]

No rumor/banter - Just fact..........

blackhawk44
Levergunner 2.0

Post by blackhawk44 »

The early Henry's were made on the old Erma Werke machinery.