Who are these actors and what show were they representing?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Who are these actors and what show were they representing?

Post by J Miller »

I stole this pic from Sarges post in the "your best 45 colt loads" thread.
Horse Opera Stars - web.JPG
What is the actors name, what was his characters name, what show was he in?
How many can do it from memory and not by doing a Google search or going to IMDB?

From Left to Right:
1: Will Hutchins, Tom 'Sugarfoot' Brewster, Sugar Foot
2: Peter Brown, Deputy Johnny McKay, Lawman
3: Jack Kelly, Bart Maverick, Maverick
4: Ty Hardin, Bronco Lane, Bronco
5: James Garner, Bret Maverick, Maverick
6: Wayde Preston, Christopher Colt, Colt 45
7: John Russell, Marshal Dan Troop, Lawman

I used to watch all these shows, and I recognize their faces, but I don't remember the names.
Yes I know I could go to IMDB and find some of his info, but that's cheating.
And I did cheat and go to IMDB. I just had to know. Not positive about #6 as there's no pic on the IMDB site. -- Italics in the list indicate I didn't remember.

Joe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by J Miller on Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:48 am, edited 4 times in total.
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Re: Who are these actors and what show were they representing?

Post by GonnePhishin »

OK pardner, lets give 'em a try.

All of these TV Western stars were on various Warner Brothers TV shows from the late 50's and early sixties until WB decided to get out of the TV show business and concentrate on movies.

All done from memory with no cheatin'!! :o

Real name: Peter Brown, name on show? Deputy to John Russell on TV show Lawman

Real name: Jack Kelly, name on show Bart Maverick, TV show Maverick

Real name: Ty Hardin, name on show Bronco Lane, TV show Bronco

Real name: James Garner, name on show Bret Maverick, TV show Maverick

Real name: John Russell, name on show Marshall Dan Treat?, TV show Lawman

Interesting that Clint Walker (Cheyenne Body) is missing since he was a WB TV western star for quite a few years.

Most of these shows were pretty good, but my favorite was Maverick. After Garner left for contract reasons, Roger "007"Moore stood in for him the last couple of seasons as cousin ? from England.
Last edited by GonnePhishin on Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Joe - a good exercise and interesting pic. I got the ones you got, plus #2 is Peter Brown, Russell's deputy. Can't quite place the others. And I think Russell's first name was different, but also can't recall, without cheating! Bill maybe?

EDIT: I had it right - and wrong (only right that it was wrong!) - Uncle Buck fized Russell's name for us!
Last edited by gak on Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Also, don't know if you remember, but Russell showed up again--for the first time I'd seen him in anything since Lawman, 18-20 years on as a nasty gunman w/ several henchmen all in dusters causing trouble...that Clint Eastwood's Preacher character dispatched handily with his '58 Rem in Pale Rider. Russell had aged very little to me.
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

I dunno gak, Russell looked pretty haggard in Pale Rider. wonder if he's still alive?
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Uncle Buck,

Thanks. Now that you put them in print I recognize the names.

OK, so lets look at the guns now.

>None of them are holding with the pinky under grip.
>Will Hutchins has his cocked.
>Ty Hardin is holding his like he'd never had a SA in his hand in his life. Also note the fanning hammer and lack of front sight on his gun.
>Looks like 2 4 3/4" one 7 1/2" and 3 5 1/2" barrels. Can't see then end of Hutchins gun.
>The fellow to John Russells right has a nickle plated SA, probably a .357, it's not a big bore.

What else can we pick out?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Some of those are still on TV. I've receintly seen "Lawman" on Direct TV. But my favorite was not mentioned above, Marshal Dillon (Pre Gunsmoke).
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Ironwood
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ironwood »

Mikld, You beat me to it. Was wondering where James Arness was.
Born in the Pineywoods of East Texas a long long time ago.
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Here is the main one missing. Clint walker, "Cheyenne". He still is alive. I forgot about it untill I seen this thread. He is at kanob utah this weekend at a cowboy festival. Maybe we might go tomorrow. Thats my wife theresa with him. Picture is 3 or 4 years old.

Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Joe,

I thought that your (Sarge's) photograph may have been from "When the West was Fun". Here is how I first saw John Russell, as Commander Stone:

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Ummm, he's kinda blue there ..... looks weird.

What movie is that?

Joe
williamranks
Levergunner 3.0

Post by williamranks »

If you can get it check out E-Western channel. I've got about 150 "Have Gun Will Travel" on DVR now. It comes on after "Lawman", which follows "Wagon Train". I keep hoping they'll show "Hec Ramsey".
Bill Ranks
I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Robert A. Heinlein
Lassiter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Lassiter »

Peter Brown was Deputy Johnny McKay on Lawman. John Russell was Marshal Dan Troop.
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Joe,

That picture is from Jason of Star Command, one of many "Star Wars" wanna-bes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_of_Star_Command

Edited entry from wikipedia:
Jason of Star Command is a live action television series by Filmation which ran between 1978 and 1979. The show revolved around the exploits of space adventurer Jason (Craig Littler) and his colleagues, including Professor E.J. Parsafoot (Charlie Dell) and the pocket robot "Wiki" (formally W1K1). The show also starred Sid Haig as the evil Dragos, and, in the first season, James Doohan of Star Trek fame.[1] Jason was a spin-off of another Filmation live action show called Space Academy, which starred another former sci-fi luminary, Jonathan Harris of Lost in Space fame.

Season 1
Its first season, which was a segment of Tarzan and the Super 7, was done in the style of the movie serials of the past, telling a single overall story with sixteen "chapters" of approximately fifteen minutes' length, each ending in a cliffhanger.[3] The second season was a stand-alone, half-hour series.[4] Filmation would later revisit the serial format with their rendition of Flash Gordon.

The show aired on Saturday mornings, and deadly violence had to be kept to a minimum.)

Season 2
James Doohan left the show at the end of the first season to join the rest of the original Star Trek cast in reprising their roles in Star Trek: The Motion Picture. He was replaced by John Russell, who played the blue-skinned "by the book" Commander Stone.
Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Wow, I missed all that. Drat.

Joe
dennie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dennie »

Didn't Lee Majors star in a western at one time? I have my reservations about Majors being a "star" in anything. And yes, where is Cheyenne Bodie?
Who starred in Tales Of The Texas Rangers?
What show started out with the LeMat revolver shooting through a glass door?
I watched all the above shows, but Sugarfoot was my least favorite.
dennie
NRA Benefactor Member/Bluegrass Picker
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

I remembered most of these shows were Warner Brothers productions... Googled Clint Walker and came up with this first hit.. FWIW
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

I was going to ask who the man standing next to John Russell was but see on Ben_Rumson's post it was Wade Preston form the show Colt .45. I do not think that show was on for more than a year or so.

Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I have a strong hunch the real reason clint walker wasnt on that picture is because he was so much taller than warner brothers other actors it would give them a more normal view of being regular guys and rateings would have went down on their series.
I used to work around the studios as a grunt guard. I have met and talked with a number of them. Almost always the studio publists lie about actors height`s. Now I have met and talked with both clint walker and james arness and they are (or were) the real deal. Arness was bigger than I had even thought. I would say walker is a honest 6ft 5" at his best. We all shrink with age. I noticed he was about identical to my dad and one of my dad`s brothers in build to compare with. My wife is tall. Arness was a good honest 6ft 7"s I think. I also met jimmy stewart he also was tall. Some or most of those other actors didnt seem as tall to me in person as on TV or in the movies. Herman monster was the real deal too!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Drifting here, but Arness was also a Marine who was wounded in combat. I am a little too young to remember most of the gents in the picture. I remember the Rockford Files, so I remember one of the actors, but not the western he was in.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

UncleBuck wrote:I dunno gak, Russell looked pretty haggard in Pale Rider. wonder if he's still alive?
You know, I think you're right. I think what struck me was was he has some of the more recognizable and distinctive facial features in Hollywood over the years--those unmistakable chiseled cheek bones and cold, steely piercing eyes--emotionless look that age did nothing to hide. That and seeing him first when I was but a tyke, he was of course never young to me in the first place...so maybe I was amazed he wss still around kicking!.
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Arness was army, not marines. He was wounded.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I thought it was Marines. Oops. Anyway, the wound is what gave him his distinctive walk. Not too many actors nowadays would serve in any military role.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

UncleBuck,

Here is Russell's information, from wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Russell_(actor)
John Lawrence Russell (January 3, 1921 – January 19, 1991) was an American actor, and World War II veteran, most noted for playing Marshal Dan Troop in the successful ABC western television series Lawman from 1958 to 1962.[1]

Born in Los Angeles, California, he fit the Hollywood image of tall, dark, and handsome. He attended the University of California as a student athlete. Following the outbreak of World War II, he joined the United States Marines, though he was initially rejected because of his height [6 ft 4 in (1.93 m)].[2] He was commissioned as second lieutenant on November 11, 1942, and was assigned to the 6th Marine Regiment. His division was sent to Guadalcanal, where he served as an assistant intelligence officer. He contracted malaria and returned home with a medical discharge.[3]

He was discovered by a talent agent while in a Beverly Hills restaurant and made his film debut in 1945. Russell was contracted to 20th Century Fox in several supporting roles, and later was signed with Republic Pictures. He primarily played secondary roles, often in western films, but in 1952 starred opposite Judy Canova in Oklahoma Annie.

In 1955 Russell was given the lead role in a television drama called Soldiers of Fortune. The half-hour adventure show placed him and his sidekick, played by Chick Chandler, in a dangerous jungle setting. While the show proved popular with young boys, it did not draw enough adult viewers to its prime slot and was canceled in 1957. In 1957 Russell made a memorable appearance as a tough lawman in Untamed Youth. In 1959, Russell guest starred in an episode of NBC's adventure series Northwest Passage, a fictionalized account of the exploits of Major Robert Rogers in the French and Indian War.

In 1958, Russell was cast in his best-known role as Marshal Dan Troop, the lead character in Lawman, an ABC hit western series that ran for four years. Co-starring with Peter Brown, who played Deputy Johnny McKay, Russell portrayed a U.S. frontier peace officer mentoring his younger compatriot.

Russell appeared in other motion pictures for Warner Brothers, notably as the villain in Yellowstone Kelly with other Warner Brothers Television contract stars as well as the Howard Hawks 1959 western, Rio Bravo, which starred John Wayne, Dean Martin, Ricky Nelson, and Walter Brennan.

In 1969, Russell appeared in 5 episodes of It Takes a Thief starring Robert Wagner as SIA agent William Dover. They included #29 "Guess Who's Coming To Rio?" (January 9, 1969), #43 "Saturday Night In Venice" (September 25, 1969), #48 "The Blue, Blue Danube" (October 30, 1969), #50 "Payoff In The Piazza" (November 13, 1969) and #52 "A Friend In Deed" (November 27, 1969).

Throughout the 1960s to the 1980s, he returned to secondary roles, appearing in more than twenty films, including three directed by his friend Clint Eastwood. One of these was as Marshal Stockburn, the chief villain in Eastwood's 1985 film Pale Rider.

Russell appeared in the second season of the Filmation children's science fiction series Jason of Star Command. He played the role of Commander Stone, a blue-skinned alien from Alpha Centauri. He replaced James Doohan, who played the Commander in the previous season but left to start working on Star Trek: The Motion Picture.

John Russell died from emphysema in 1991 and was interred in the Los Angeles National Cemetery, a former U.S. Veterans Administration cemetery in Los Angeles, California.
johnrussell16.jpg
johnrussell18.jpg
John Russell.jpg
Shawn
ImageImage
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

I thought I remembered John Russel from "Soldiers of Fortune". That was one of my favorite shows.
I learned a lot of tips as a kid that served me the rest of my life.
"Always look before you set". "Always look before you step". "Always shake your boots out in the morning".
It was lots of modern real world adventure for a kid, without talking down to you.
There has been nothing like it since.
Last edited by 765x53 on Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lassiter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Lassiter »

dennie wrote:Didn't Lee Majors star in a western at one time? I have my reservations about Majors being a "star" in anything. And yes, where is Cheyenne Bodie?
dennie

Lee Majors was one of the stars in The Big Valley with Miss Barbara Stanwyck.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

dennie wrote:Didn't Lee Majors star in a western at one time? I have my reservations about Majors being a "star" in anything. And yes, where is Cheyenne Bodie?
dennie
Tales Of The Texas Rangers starred:
Willard Parker ... Ranger Jace Pearson
Harry Lauter ... Ranger Clay Morgan

Joe