Help me ID this BSA Martini

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Help me ID this BSA Martini

Post by jdad »

I got a call, from the LGS, that there was something that may interest me. I went down and found that someone had consigned a BSA Martini chambered in 32-20. Price seemed ok, but what really caught my eye was the "kangaroo" stamp, on top of the receiver. Upon further inspection I found that the right side of the receiver was marked "Commonwealth of Austrailia", with "VIC" below it. The left side had the standard BSA stamping. The serial number below the C of A stamp matched the stamp, on the butt stock. There is a different set of matching serial numbers where the barrel enters the receiver on the right front, of the receiver. The buttstock has a stamped cartouch that says, " Commonwealth of Austrailia * Mily Forces". The barrel is 25.25".

Does anybody have any information or history to pass on? It would be appreciated. I'm off to the range, to see how it shoots. :D

I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Re: Help me ID this BSA Martini

Post by Bruce Scott »

You have a Martini Cadet. Unfortunately it has been converted to .32-20 (really .311) and may not produce good accuracy in that chambering as Cadet bores are generally .321 (Edit but variations from .316 to .323 have been observed)

Some useful background info here:
http://www.martinigallery.com/cadet.htm

Action disassembly instructions:
http://www.martinihenry.com/cadet.htm

A good place fot Cadet discussion:
http://britishmilitariaforums.yuku.com/ ... ifle-Forum
Last edited by Bruce Scott on Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Will the chambers allow a proper sized cast bullet to be loaded. :?
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:Will the chambers allow a proper sized cast bullet to be loaded. :?
Very likely, although it would pay to make a chamber cast to see what you have. Some Cadets will take a 32-20 cartridge without modification and I understand these were simply re-stamped 32-20. I have no personal experience with a re-chambered gun but did experiment loading cast Cadet bullets into a 32-20 cases. These were unheeled factory jobs with a diameter of .318. They were never proven in a rifle.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I like those things. I don't know if there is enough barrel for a proper relining but I'd be willing to muck about with the loading set up to get it to work. They look like fun and the action is fun to operate. For a young man with the proper historical background it might be more that a bit of fun and fantasy to go roam about with one. I'd have loved to have one when I was a kid.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

IT SHOOTS GREAT! :D :D :D

After getting the sights adjusted I put 10 shots into about a 2"x3" group, at 100yds. If my eyes were better I probably would have done better.

90gr Sierra JHP
9.5gr 2400
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Thats really nice :D , and in a great caliber too. How long did it take you to decide to buy it?
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

jdad wrote:IT SHOOTS GREAT! :D :D :D

After getting the sights adjusted I put 10 shots into about a 2"x3" group, at 100yds. If my eyes were better I probably would have done better.

90gr Sierra JHP
9.5gr 2400

That's great ....:D ..... and a bit unexpected given a bullet diameter of .312. It would be interesting to see what the bore slugs.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Congrats on that one. I've got one like it which my Grand Dad bought one back in the 50's to hunt deer. It has a .316 bore, unfortunately and was reamed to 32/20...a twin to yours which was made about 1911. The are delight to handle and can't wait to make it work with the correct bullets.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Bruce Scott wrote:
jdad wrote:IT SHOOTS GREAT! :D :D :D

90gr Sierra JHP
9.5gr 2400

That's great ....:D ..... and a bit unexpected given a bullet diameter of .312. It would be interesting to see what the bore slugs.

I'll accept dumb luck, fate, wind at the right time, etc. to my actual marksmanship. If it repeats the same results, on a different day, I will be happy.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Ah yes, the good old Cadet. And it looks like you got a good'un! My understanding is after import to the US, some were simply rechambered to .32-20 with no other alterations and suffered for it. Someone here on the board has/had one that they either had relined or rebored to proper .32-20 dimensions but I don't recall who offhand. I'll see if I can find the thread...

I've had two in .310 Cadet, currently have one in .357 Mag and there are two project rifles waiting for me to pick them up. One is a .218 Bee and the other is still in .310 Cadet. I'm not sure if the Bee will stay a Bee or go to .22 Hornet. The .310 might stay that way long enough for me to finish off the ammo I bought from Buffalo Arms several years ago or it might go to .32-20. Or .256 Win Mag.

These little things are such a hoot and they scratch my Martini-Henry itch for a lot less...scratch.... :mrgreen:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

awp101 wrote:Someone here on the board has/had one that they either had relined or rebored to proper .32-20 dimensions but I don't recall who offhand. I'll see if I can find the thread...
Found it! :mrgreen:
Noah Zark wrote: I had the same thing done to my 310 Martini Cadet that Navy Arms had rechambered to 32-20. The barrel needed .317-.318 diameter bullets, and I had no source at that time (late 80s). In 1992 I had Bill Gostomski of Mt Savage, MD reline the Cadet with a 32-20 liner and the whole job cost me $185 including bead blast blueing. The liner itself at the time was $75. The Cadet is a tackdriver using standard 100 gr .312 bullets. You've seen photos of my Cadet at another board, I recall your comments.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

I HAVE HEARD BUT NEVER DONE THIS .The 310 cadet I believe is a heeled bullet so should fit over the outside of the 32-20 case.I think Buffalo arms carries the bullets and would hopefully know more.These were also re-chambered in 32 Winchester special because of the .321 bore.