John Wayne death movies

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

John Wayne death movies

Post by J Miller »

Lets see, Griff's two most favorite JW movies are ones he died in. They are far from my favorites but that's just personal preferences.

So which movies did Wayne actually die in?

Wake of the Red Witch
Sands of Iwo Jima
The SeaBees
The Cowboys
The Shootist

(He was already dead at the beginning of The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, so that one don't count.)

So, which ones did I forget?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Re: John Wayne death movies

Post by WCF3030 »

The Alamo
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I think that may cover it. I remember reading somewhere that given all the films he made (some debate on the total number, depending on what is counted from the western serials, but north of 150 in total), he "died" in remarkedly few of them.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Like most of us here, I miss John Wayne. Part of me though is happy he didn't see what the country has come to. It was bad enough in the 60's, but right now...
Cast Bullet Hunter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cast Bullet Hunter »

Ysabel Kid,

The number is somewhere around 208. It is kind of hard to know for sure as there are a few of the Republic Pictures B Westerns that were released under more the one title. IMDB says 172, but I don't know if that includes all of the ones he was not credited in, or the ones where he was credited (or not) as Mike Morrison.
willygene
Levergunner 2.0

Post by willygene »

Sands of iwojima
Dave B
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Dave B »

Here are a some more I found on the internet:
http://www.jwaynefan.com/dukedied.html

REAP THE WILD WIND (1942) - Killed by squid undersea.

There were a few films where his death is not seen.
In THE MAN WHOSHOT LIBERTY VALANCE (1962) he has died and the film's story is told in flashback by James Stewart who has come to his funeral.
In THE SEA CHASE (1955) - He and Lana Turner are on the ship when it sank but the film leads you to believe that perhaps they survived.
In THE DECEIVER (1931) - Ian Keith played Thorp in this film and John Wayne took over when this character became a corpse.
In CENTRAL AIRPORT (1933) - John Wayne doesn't even speak and is barely recognizable as one of the men aboard a downed airplane seen floundering in the ocean at night.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

REAP THE WILD WIND (1942), I saw many many years ago. I'd completely forgotton that movie. Will have to look for it.

THE DECEIVER (1931), CENTRAL AIRPORT (1933), I've never heard of. To more to look for.

THE SEA CHASE (1955), I've seen several times. I forgot about it. I wouldn't have added it to my list because he didn't die on screen. I wonder if I have a copy of this movie?

I've seen most of John Wayne's movies. Some have stuck with me, some have been totally forgettable.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

John Wayne is not dead; he will never die.