Another 336 Sight Question, Hopefully the last!!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
oneyeopn
Levergunner 1.0

Another 336 Sight Question, Hopefully the last!!

Post by oneyeopn »

Howdy Ya'll; Ok I put the Marbles Semi-Buckhorn and an original Marlin hooded front sight on my 336. I took her out shooting and was really gratefull for the sliding plate on the Marbles rear sight. I finally got her adjusted and she shoots real well. After reading some more posts and thinking about what earlmc said, I purchased the Williams 5D. I am the kinda guy that gets a load that works well in a particular gun and I run with it. I really dont change my recipes too often, although I sometimes will try out new powder, but for about 8 months I have been loading everything with CFE223 except my 45lc's, 45acp's and 9mm. Anyway to the question. When you are running the reciever sight do you take the hood off of the front sight or do you leave it on. So far I have left it on but I have never noticed when someone is running receiver sights what their front looks like. Everything else is sweet with the rifle, I replaced the buggered up screws, touched up some of the worn blued areas, I did buff out the bolt and it does look nicer, not polished but nicer and have actually just fallen for the gun. It shoots very nice, recoil is an easy push and not a hammer blow. I rearranged all of my rifles to where my lever actions are the only ones in hard cases and I dont think I am going to refinish the wood, I am going to use her. I have rifles that serve certain purposes and are very good at doing what I built them to do, My levers are there for me to enjoy and now that they are shooting right and fixed up decent they are the ones I reach for when I am heading out to the farm, thanks for everyones help and suggestions.
USMC
We are not in a post-cold war period, we are in an inter-war period!!
Rossi 92 in 45Colt
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Another 336 Sight Question, Hopefully the last!!

Post by earlmck »

Well I'm all envious. I don't own a gun with a hood, though occasionally on a bright, sunny day I wish the rifle had one.

Since you've got it, enjoy it.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I take all the hoods on mine off. Seems they will come off on their own in brush anyway! I also remove the issue rear sight, not everyone does.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

They are supposed to stay on? I thought they were a packing thingy to protect the sight during shipping. :D :D I got a bunch of them in a drawer.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
oneyeopn
Levergunner 1.0

Post by oneyeopn »

I left the hood on and removed the Marbles rear ramp sight that I had put on and put a dovetail blank in the slot. I took her out and sighted her in last night. She was on the paper from the start. a few small quick adjustments and I had her shooting 2" high at 50 yards. I was shooting the Privi 150gr FNSP ammo from Midway, its only $15 a box and gives me brass for reloading. The brass is also 7gr heavier than similar Federal brass. I loaded up a bunch of 160gr FTX Hornady LeveRevo Bullets yesterday over CFE223 powder and after I sighted her in I thought I would shoot a couple of them just to see how they perform. According to the load data I should be running about 2400fps but I havent checked them with my chrony yet. Anyway I shot 2, they were about 1" high at the 12 position, side by side with the holes touching. These are going to be my hunting rounds, from what I have seen shooters either love them or hate them. I have yet to see any middle ground but I have read some really good reviews of them and then I have read some statements that say they are terrible without saying why they are terrible. I think if you load them to slow they may not open up like they should but these sure shot well. Have a great day! :lol:
USMC
Rossi 92 in 45Colt
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Yeah, I've a drawer-full of sight hood, too - removed ASAP as I get a gun home.

They're great for the type that actually use their guns to beat the brush, tho..................

FWIW - When installing a receiver peep sight, I ALWAYS either switch out the rear bbl sight for a folder, or remove it & replace it with a commercial dovetail slot filler blank, or one fashioned/filed from an old longleaf rear sight.

oneyeopn
Levergunner 1.0

Post by oneyeopn »

Pete44ru wrote:Yeah, I've a drawer-full of sight hood, too - removed ASAP as I get a gun home.

They're great for the type that actually use their guns to beat the brush, tho..................

FWIW - When installing a receiver peep sight, I ALWAYS either switch out the rear bbl sight for a folder, or remove it & replace it with a commercial dovetail slot filler blank, or one fashioned/filed from an old longleaf rear sight.

That turned out real nice, I wish I had thought of that. I guess I will do that when I put a tang sight on my Rossi!
Thanks for the knowledge.
USMC
Rossi 92 in 45Colt
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

FWIW, a tang sight give yet another option - dual sighting/zeroes.

Y'see, with a folding rear bbl sight, the bbl sight can be zeroed for relatively short-range (say, 50yds) shots presented suddenly when brush hunting, etc, during which the rifle would be carried with tang sight folded, in anticipation of a close shot.

If the tang sight was then zeroed for a somewhat longer range (say, 125-150yds), if/when a longer game shot is presented, I've found that there's usually ample time to fold the bbl sight & raise the tanger for the shot. (Practice, practice, practice)

oneyeopn
Levergunner 1.0

Post by oneyeopn »

I like the option, I never thought about that either....I was thinking that with a tang sight I could be like "Quigley" :lol: actually here where I hunt in western Kansas a 50 yard shot so rarely happens that I never think of it. But I wont always be hunting here!! Thanks
USMC
Rossi 92 in 45Colt
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

iceman wrote:They are supposed to stay on? I thought they were a packing thingy to protect the sight during shipping. :D :D I got a bunch of them in a drawer.
:lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

with no hood you can get tricked by the light on your bead, usually towards sundown. I don't like the square hood but have globes on most of my fronts.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Hobie wrote:I take all the hoods on mine off. Seems they will come off on their own in brush anyway! I also remove the issue rear sight, not everyone does.
+1--hoods are bad juju...in most cases they simply remove themselves per Hobie's comment...plus when i use a peep-sight (receiver sight) i also remove the factory rear sight too... :)
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

Now I know why all the used Marlins I buy have the front sight hoods missing! I always hoped to find the island of lost hoods in order to get mine back to original.
Last edited by JB on Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oneyeopn
Levergunner 1.0

Post by oneyeopn »

JB wrote:Now I know why all the used Marlins I guy have the front sight hoods missing! I always hoped to find the island of lost hoods in order to get mine back to original.
yeah I am being extra careful not to lose the one I just installed, it seemed to work very well with the receiver sight and looks like the picture says it is supposed to look. some people say to put a fold down rear sight but I would have to remove my receiver sight to use it and I would be afraid to lose my receiver sight if I did that.
USMC
Rossi 92 in 45Colt