6mm Remington

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

6mm Remington

Post by Old Savage »

Who has them, how do you like them, whay do you use them for - the details?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: 6mm Remington

Post by AJMD429 »

1975 Ruger M-77V (bull-barrel). Five shots of 85gr. Sierra BTHP's inside a dime at 100 yards every time, using a Lee 'Target Model' kit (the mallet-type, with a micrometer seating die and inside neck-reamer). In fact, using IMR 4831, just dipping a case into powder, then dumping enough that it's about to the top of the neck, and you'll still get sub-MOA three-shot groups off the bench...! In addition, it handles and points well enough that with a Weaver K-12 on top, you can still stand and shoot it from the shoulder effectively.

All that, even though it's got a non-free-floated, warpy-wood stock, so all the free-float, synthetic pundits would say it can't shoot worth a darn. :D

On top of all that, it's a very beautifully finished gun from back 'in the day'. Wouldn't trade it for anything! Somewhat of a shame I can't shoot well enough to push it to its full potential. :oops:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
hayabusa
Levergunner 2.0

Post by hayabusa »

Remington Mohawk carbine. 105 grain Speer rn. Shot one pig and a bunch of deer over several years. Have not shot it very much since I went to a Remington 742 .308. On deer broadside lung shots it ruined way too much meat (bloodshot) on both sides of animal (the 6mm).
Last several years I have used Soviet military semi automatic (AK 47 & PSL) and AR 15 in 50 Beowulf, but mostly Win & Marlin lever rifles! Also one Jap Browning 71 rifle.

hayabusa
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

My nieghbor had a 660 carbine in 6mm and shot a boat load of deer in his orchard over the years. Even took it to Cananda and shot 2 cow moose when I asked him how far they ran, three feet straight down.
About 15 years ago I was in Walmart and they had two model 7 youth rifles marked 180.00 dollars on clearance. One went home with me and I loaded 100 gr Noslar partitions over Win760 and my sons killed Deer of all sizes and from 35- 281 lazered yards, most DRT.
I was reading about the 85 gr Barnes tsx and bought a box, loaded them over R19 they shot 1 MOA (So did the Noslers). I took it over to a nieghboring farm and about a 1/2 hour before sunset I saw a spike buck walking through the trees. He Past me at about 100 yards and I was thinking no shot. Suddenly he stopped and I saw a hole to his chest and sent one. He flipped over on his back and never moved.(no spine was hit) Blood all over the trees and the test of one deer left me impressed.
I think for the hunter who wants a light recoiling rifle that will getr done it hasn't disappointed.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I have a Ruger #1B in 6mm REM with a 26" factory barrel and a Remington Model 722 in 244 Remington also with a factory 26" barrel .

Bought the Ruger because I didn't have a #1 in that caliber .
Bought the 722 because my grandfathers brother had one years back and I let it get away from me .

Had a nice old Remington 700 BDL Varmint in 6mm . All factory except floating , bedding and a trigger job . That one killed quite a few groundhogs years ago .

And while I may have or had three rifles in 6mm/244 , I have had or do have many more in 243 WIN . Never owned a 243 WIN that didn't shoot very nicely be it a pencil barrel rifle or a varmint weight gun .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

We have found the 6mm TSX 85 gr to be devastating on deer from 50 yds to 275 ydd.inthe 243. In the six it ought to be more so.

It would seem that given the 4200 figure what I reported with other.weights should come as no big surprise that would warrant smoking anything and I think the othet knowledgable reloaders here will see it that way.
Last edited by Old Savage on Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:50 am, edited 4 times in total.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

6pt-sika wrote:Had a nice old Remington 700 BDL Varmint in 6mm . All factory except floating , bedding and a trigger job . That one killed quite a few groundhogs years ago.
Nice!

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Ironwood
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ironwood »

I have a Remington 788 in 6MM Remington. I used the rifle a few years for deer and hogs. 95 gr Nosler is a very good killer. Loaned the rifle to a friend and he killed a hog or two and a deer with it. When my wife wanted to do some hunting she used the rifle. The rifle didn't get a lot of use for several years after my wife became unable to hunt. Took the rifle out of retirement to let the preacher use it on a little hunt. One shot one hog> :)

This Axis buck was taken with one shot from the 788. The 6MM Nosler partitioned bullet seems to be an over acheiver. :)

Born in the Pineywoods of East Texas a long long time ago.
AkRay
Levergunner 2.0

Post by AkRay »

I know a guy who uses his 6mm Remington as his Dall sheep rifle. The shots are long sometimes in that kind of hunting, and he wants a smaller round with good long range performance. He told me it was a grown up 243 Winchester on the performance scale.
Marc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marc »

My wife uses one for deer. See her photo below with the rifle. It is a Remington 700 bought about 1966 supposedly with my and my brothers share of the beaver trapping money(see my avatar). My Dad told me when he was near his end and he passed it on to me that it never shot good and nobody had ever killed anything with it. It still doesn't shoot good but my wife has blooded it several times. Dad had passed on when she got her first deer with it and she said the crosshairs were so steady that she felt Dad was reaching down and holding the rifle for her.

She has used the old Barnes X 90 grain for all her deer. It is a deer killing machine with that bullet. The X's are all gone and now I load the 85 grain TSX. I am sure it will work just like the old X bullet.
My "HB" (Hunting Buddy) She's a good cook too!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I wanted one years ago but due to a lack of availability over 'ere ended up with 243's. I never really liked 243 and lamented not being able to get my grubby paws on the 6mmRem!

Nothing wrong with 243, I just wanted to be different (for over here etc).

A friend just got one though and is piping on and on about it and I am surprised one bit!

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

My brother has a Ruger #1V in 6mm. It's been his main prairie dog/varmint/crow gun since the mid '80s.
Hecter
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Hecter »

I do not smoke anything and I gave up my 25-06 for my 6mm with 100 gr. bullets. There might be a slight difference but I like the less recoil and powder consuption of the 6mm. Sorry, these comments for 25-06 discussion down below!
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

Years ago, I was with USAF in Michigan. The air base was bordered by Huron Nat'l Forest on rear side. We had access to a security gate which opened into a genuine wilderness of swamps and timber. I took my 1st Sergeant hunting with me several times because I knew the area from many scouting trips.

1st Sergeant's rifle was a Remington automatic in 6mm with upgraded walnut stock and deluxe checkering. During my time at Wurtsmuth AF Base, we each took 2 bucks in two years. His 6mm toppled the animals quickly. In contrast to his high speed gun, my rifle was an older Remington 141 in 35 Remington. My rifle knocked 'em down, too.

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
gordylew
Levergunner 1.0

Post by gordylew »

I had a nice 77R Ruger in .6mm but could never get it to group under 2.5" @100 yards with factory loads and didn't want to start loading for another caliber. So off to Gunbroker it went. I recently picked up a 600 Remington in .6mm rounding out the collection of 600s. It was suprisingly accurate with Federal premium 100gr. I may have to leave the bow home a few times and try it out this season.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

My first contact with the 6mm was in a custom Mauser with varmint barrel marked 244AI. Really smoked crows, actually made red halos except in damp weather the bullet would sometimes "blue mist" from just melting due to the extreme velocity. Didn't have a chrono back then, (60s) but extraction was a bit difficult and 50 or 55 grain bullets so you can guess. Later I acquired a 660 Remington in 6mm and loaded the 100 grain Sierra over all the 4831 (surplus back then) I could get in the case. Killed a bunch of whitetail with it. I remember one little buck on a 6 degree morning which flopped like a crappie in the bottom of the boat. I thought surely he would break an antler.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS