Deer Cain

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Deer Cain

Post by RustyJr »

I have seen this product called Deer Cain, some call it Deer Cocaine. They say it works. Does anyone have any experience with it? Also does it attract bears? We have black bears at our lease and I'd rather not attract them if I can avoid it.

Thanks,
RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Deer Cain

Post by 86er »

I've tried it and never had a deer hit it. Now C'mere Deer does seem to work. Either has a sweet smell and would definitely attract bears!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Is bear closed in your part of the state?
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by RustyJr »

JerryB,
They have taken the bear off "the endangered species list" here in Florida but they are still several years away from having a season on them. Last month they had a black bear on the University of South Florida's campus http://wusfnews.wusf.usf.edu/post/bear- ... ch-gardens .
It was tranquilized and released elsewhere :roll: I would love to see the Fish and Wildlife Commission open a season on them even if it was only 100-150 tags a year based on a lottery system. The guy that we talked to at the lease said that they get chased over the Georgia line by guys running bear dogs. He said that a couple years ago a woman was attacked by one when she went to climb into her box stand and opened the curtain to find a bear sleeping in it :shock:

RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mac in Mo »

I have a Deer Caine lick established a my place in south central Mo. I have added a bag or bottle a year for the the last ten years or so. It seems to do better than those small blocks that you can pick up for cheap, I can't think of the brand of those right off. I only have these licks to hopefully help keep doe's in the area, not necessarily to hunt over.

I started the caine lick on an established trail. It seems to get regular visits, but I don't run any cams so I don't have photos of what is there. I has grown pretty big over the years, but we have a plain salt lick started about twenty years ago on another piece that gets about the same if not more activity. The salt lick is right near our kitchen shack as well.

I am going to try a new recipe from a Missouri deer hunting forum that is popular with many there and is cheaper to boot. It is two 25 lb. bags finer stock salt and 2 boxes of Arm and Hammer Super Washing Soda. They say to dig a shallow hole 4-5 feet in diameter and mix in a bag salt and one box A and H. Then mix in the rest leaving a small pile of salt on top. They refresh twice a year with a bag of salt and a box of A and H.

I doubt that this mix would attract bears, but I defer to the bear hunters on that one. We have some bears around but I have yet to see one on my place.

Kevin
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I tried Deer Cocaine several times with mixed and not great results .

I'd get the dry stuff that looked like sugar or salt , scrape back the leaves where I wanted to put it , take an iron rake and work the ground up a bit . sprinkle the stuff over the area then go over it a bit with a watering can with a sprinkler head .

Some of the places I put it they hit it a bit and in other places they never touched it !

I have since seen some fellows take block salt put it something like an onion sack or burlap bag . Take a hammer and bust it up a bit , then hang the bag off a tree limb . The rain would make the salt drip on the ground etc etc etc . Now in most places I know of using pure salt isn't legal .

I used to be big on using molasses on a stump of low on a tree trunk . That was also limited success . I can however say I saw some excellent results from corn in southern Maryland and the Eastern Shore of Maryland .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

I've used Deer Cane, plain salt, salt blocks, etc. They all work, but what seems to make a difference is the type of soil you put it on. Around here, the surefire lick site will be red clay, no matter which attractant you put on it. Any other soil type and you won't get near the same deer activity.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I don't know about bears. Brought the deer right in. Keep the lick freshened and they will dig/eat/paw their way to China.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Pisgah wrote:I've used Deer Cane, plain salt, salt blocks, etc. They all work, but what seems to make a difference is the type of soil you put it on.
Hobie wrote:Keep the lick freshened and they will dig/eat/paw their way to China.
Whatever gallon-sized block my son put out a few years ago, within a month or so there was a PIT the size of a ten-gallon aquarium, and they still come and eat that soil. I think it was actually just a farm-type 'goat block' or something like that.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
ving-thorr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ving-thorr »

I wonder if the javelina would like it? might save me a bunch of stumpin' around.
The LORD is my light and my salvation; Whom shall I fear?
The LORD is the defense of my life; Whom shall I dread?
Psalms 27:1
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

Slow is just slow.
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

Hmm. How big is your lease? If used, could others take advantage of it? As an example, I belong to a club that has about a hundred acres surrounded by open private and state land( In Massachusetts,with the exception of some towns, unposted land is considered open to trespass for hunting,fishing,etc) . I know someone who has set up two salt blocks near a friend's peice of property. I have permission to hunt and have been for more than a decade in his little swamp. Ironically the deer are coming from this little swamp and to the spot this fellow can hunt. I don't think he realizes that I have had a stand in this place for such a long time and I'll get a crack at them before they head to his location.

The deer cain may work but someone may benefit from it.