45colt 225 FTX vs 250 XTP

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
oneyeopn
Levergunner 1.0

45colt 225 FTX vs 250 XTP

Post by oneyeopn »

Good Morning;
As a few of you know I have been loading the FTX's for my 92Rossi in 45 colt and have had very good success with them, not trimming the brass back and shooting them full length. I try to keep at a minimum 200 bullets for reloading for all of my calibers and after my last marathon session I was down to under 100 of the FTX's. I shop at Midway often and saw that they have the 250gr XTP's on sale for $22.95 a box of 100, so I purchased a few. As I get ready to start loading these for my brass framed Rossi is there anything I should look out for? I have found that you all have way more experience than I do loading and I would prefer to ask this question before I mess up any brass or load up some bullets that are unshootable. thanks for all your previous advice and thanks for helping me with this. :D
USMC
We are not in a post-cold war period, we are in an inter-war period!!
Rossi 92 in 45Colt
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 45colt 225 FTX vs 250 XTP

Post by earlmck »

I don't load either of these two bullets, oneye, but I don't think you are going to get any bad surprises. I've loaded the 300 grain XTP and it's all straightforward stuff. One thing you will find, because the FTX bullet is pointed it is longer than the 250 grain bullet and so for equal cartridge lengths you will have more powder room with the heavier but shorter bullet. With these pistol cartridges this cartridge length/powder room is a big deal, and you'll find that you can use the same powder charge (I'm assuming you're still using H110) and it'll produce a lower pressure, even though you have a heavier bullet. My QuickLoad ballistic program says you could put an extra 1 or 1.5 grains behind the 250 grain bullet to get essentially the same pressure you are running now, and have about the same velocity as with your 225 grain bullet. Anyway, something fun to play with...
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
oneyeopn
Levergunner 1.0

Post by oneyeopn »

earlmck wrote:I don't load either of these two bullets, oneye, but I don't think you are going to get any bad surprises. I've loaded the 300 grain XTP and it's all straightforward stuff. One thing you will find, because the FTX bullet is pointed it is longer than the 250 grain bullet and so for equal cartridge lengths you will have more powder room with the heavier but shorter bullet. With these pistol cartridges this cartridge length/powder room is a big deal, and you'll find that you can use the same powder charge (I'm assuming you're still using H110) and it'll produce a lower pressure, even though you have a heavier bullet. My QuickLoad ballistic program says you could put an extra 1 or 1.5 grains behind the 250 grain bullet to get essentially the same pressure you are running now, and have about the same velocity as with your 225 grain bullet. Anyway, something fun to play with...
thank you sir, I was hoping to hear from you. with the .001 point of difference in BC that really means it doesnt come into play. But the almost $10 cheaper per hundred does. also it seems that a lot of people reload and shoot with the XTP's, way more than the FTX's. I am still using the H110, but I am going to have to find something to load the longshot with. At this point in my life the only pistol round I am loading is the 45 colt, but I can use the XTP's in 45acp so maybe I can use the longshot there. I am also getting ready to start loading some more traditional bullets for my 30-30 but am liking the CFE223 in it. The numbers work out to where it is so similar to the LeveRevolution powder that I dont feel the need to keep 2 different powders. As I said everytime I load and shoot it is a learning experience and I just purchased "Modern Reloading revised 2nd Edition by Lee" just because it has a lot more basic information in the front of it.
Thanks Again
USMC
Rossi 92 in 45Colt
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

oneyeopn wrote:Good Morning;
As a few of you know I have been loading the FTX's for my 92Rossi in 45 colt and have had very good success with them, not trimming the brass back and shooting them full length. I try to keep at a minimum 200 bullets for reloading for all of my calibers and after my last marathon session I was down to under 100 of the FTX's. I shop at Midway often and saw that they have the 250gr XTP's on sale for $22.95 a box of 100, so I purchased a few. As I get ready to start loading these for my brass framed Rossi is there anything I should look out for? I have found that you all have way more experience than I do loading and I would prefer to ask this question before I mess up any brass or load up some bullets that are unshootable. thanks for all your previous advice and thanks for helping me with this. :D
I have never loaded for brass-framed 92 but I have loaded for the 16" steel version, using the 250 XTP. I used 13.0 grains* of HS6 and crimped in the groove on the bullet, added for that purpose. I also used that load in an Old Vaquero. Accuracy in either gun was excellent, IIRC on the order of 3" at 100 yards for the 92 carbine. I could never shoot it much than that with anything else, due to its coarse sights. Anyhow the load shook out like this. Revolver results left, carbine right.

*This load is a half grain over max for standard-pressure 45 Colt, in most manuals. Use at your own risk.

http://sargesrollcall.blogspot.com/2010 ... -none.html
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Having used the XTP bullet for many years, I'll say that it is a very good choice for a game bullet. It's what I load for my 45 ACP social loads only I use the 185 or 200 grain there. When I was still a reserve deputy we got our sheriff to authorize our use of my handloads and the XTP.
Have killed around 40 whitetail with the 200 or 250 grain bullet and a sabot in my muzzle loader. The bullet always performs well and I have recovered several that look like the pictures above. I have been very impressed with the expansion at many different velocities. Really prefer the 200 grain .429 bullet since it shoots very flat and makes my ML into a 200 yard rifle. 90 grains of Goex ffg in a very traditional looking Hawken style rifle with all iron furniture except the patchbox. Even has the pewter forend cap but I do have an old 2 1/2X scope on it. Old eyes. Oh yeah, Green Mountain bullet barrel in 50 cal.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
oneyeopn
Levergunner 1.0

Post by oneyeopn »

thank you gentlemen....yeah I am hoping to have my bullets punch like the above. My ML is a .54 cal Hawkins with the Thompson barrel and it doesnt really like sabots but I get good accuracy out of it shooting MaxiBalls and even pretty good with patched round. I am loading my Rossi in between the old loads and the new loads but getting closer to the new loads. I was starting out with longshot but I was convinced to try H110 and so far I am super happy with what I am producing. Weighing every charge is a little time consuming but so far every shot goes where it is supposed to and unless I jerk the trigger I am in the xring out to 100. I love my Lever's!!
USMC
Rossi 92 in 45Colt
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

oneyeopn wrote:Weighing every charge is a little time consuming
Your doing what? H110 (or any of the ball powders) meters like a dream. Life is too short to spend it weighing powder charges: I use the Redding BR30.
The greatest patriot...
Patrick Henry
oneyeopn
Levergunner 1.0

Post by oneyeopn »

earlmck wrote:
oneyeopn wrote:Weighing every charge is a little time consuming
Your doing what? H110 (or any of the ball powders) meters like a dream. Life is too short to spend it weighing powder charges: I use the Redding BR30.
This was my first time for using H110, I have tons of experience with IMR 3031, 4064 and 4895 and they don't meter that precisely out of my lee perfect powder. I did notice that the charges all seemed to be right on but I thought I was just having a good day. :D The CFE223 I use meters really well, usually +/- a grain but I get the occasional one that is two or three grains off but for the .223 rounds I don't check everyone but for my .308win or my 30-30win, I do check everyone. Thanks on the advice on the H110, it is good to know I just wasn't having an exceptional day and I can count on it to meter like that.
My grandfather passed away Friday and all my kin have come home for the weekend and the funeral Monday. When we all get together we take an afternoon and go shooting. So we are going this afternoon and I will have a ton of stuff to reload when we are done. We are going to shoot my cheaper factory loaded stuff so I can reload for my hunting rounds. That is what I do, I buy inexpensive re-loadable rounds or brass and reload it. When I take my nephews and cousins paper punching I shoot the cheaper stuff and save the expensive stuff for my hunting. Freedom Ammunition makes some really nice inexpensive 45lc bullets that are about half the price of everyone else's and their 255gr FPFMJ rounds are really accurate, they also make some 250 FPLRN that are OK but they don't run as fast as the jacketed bullets and the accuracy is not as good. I think that's what we will shoot up today. I do appreciate the advice, I am still learning everyday and have started taking notes because this CRS disease really sucks. :D
USMC
Rossi 92 in 45Colt
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

oneyeopn wrote:The CFE223 I use meters really well, usually +/- a grain but I get the occasional one that is two or three grains off
You mean +/- .1 grain, don't you? and occasionally .2 or .3 off? If your measure throws +/- a full grain you need a different powder measure. Years ago I tried a Lee measure but it would hang on ball powder and be real hard to turn. Then I read the directions and saw that they recommended you not use ball powder. Back went the Lee measure. I assume they have corrected that design flaw by now?

Powder measures require the operator to be consistent in operation in order to throw consistently, but once you establish a good routine you should throw H110 to +/- .2 grain (and probably +/- .1 mostly) without any trouble.
The greatest patriot...
Patrick Henry
oneyeopn
Levergunner 1.0

Post by oneyeopn »

earlmck wrote:
oneyeopn wrote:The CFE223 I use meters really well, usually +/- a grain but I get the occasional one that is two or three grains off
You mean +/- .1 grain, don't you? and occasionally .2 or .3 off? If your measure throws +/- a full grain you need a different powder measure. Years ago I tried a Lee measure but it would hang on ball powder and be real hard to turn. Then I read the directions and saw that they recommended you not use ball powder. Back went the Lee measure. I assume they have corrected that design flaw by now?

Powder measures require the operator to be consistent in operation in order to throw consistently, but once you establish a good routine you should throw H110 to +/- .2 grain (and probably +/- .1 mostly) without any trouble.

Yes Sir, I just reread my post and I guess I did leave out some important numbers it is a tenth of a grain and if I am .2 off on the rounds I am loading, I dump the charge back in the hopper and re-throw it. Maybe I am over thinking it but I try to be very consistent with every step from trimming, to charging to the depth I set the bullet. I am attempting to make everything the same that I can so that when I pull the trigger the bullet goes where I expect it to.
USMC
Rossi 92 in 45Colt