Marlin one piece firing pins?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
S.B.
Levergunner 2.0

Marlin one piece firing pins?

Post by S.B. »

Where would one buy these?
"The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
Life member of NRA, USPSA, ISRA, AF&AM Pontiac #294
LIUNA #996 for the last 32 years, retired after 34 years.
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Longhunter something or other. I lost the link a couple computers ago.
Longhunter gun supplies or parts?
old goat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by old goat »

...FYI, when needing something of this type, there is a Marlin resources page on the www.leverguns.com home page. :wink:

...Try this link:
http://www.evilroyshootingschool.com/pr ... html#M1894

...old goat
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

DennisD

Post by DennisD »

I haven't had my 1894 Cowboy .44 mag very long so I have a question. What is the advantage of the 1 piece firing pin? Is the stock 2 piece pin prone to breaking or something?
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

DennisD wrote:I haven't had my 1894 Cowboy .44 mag very long so I have a question. What is the advantage of the 1 piece firing pin? Is the stock 2 piece pin prone to breaking or something?
Personal opinion, no slight intended to anyone -- but I believe the main advantage to them is that those who sell them make money.

Supposedly, they help make the action smoother, and are usually installed by those involved in fast competition shooting. But the two-piece design was intentional, a safety device meant to preclude firing while out-of-battery. And, in fact, I believe the two piece pin is probably LESS prone to breakage that the one-piece.
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

LISTEN TO PISGAH HERE AS HE NAILED THIS ONE DOWN TIGHT !!
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Pisgah is on the money for the most part.
The 2 piece pin made its debut with the model 1893. Its predecessor thec1889 used a one piece pin. It had other saftey features that prevented firing out of battery. The main reason for the development of the 2 piece was not to prevent firing out of battery but to render the gun unfireable if the locking block was left out. If you leave the locking bolt out of a gun equipped with a 2 piece pin it cannot fire. If you put that one piece in then the gun WILL fire with pieces missing, jmho but thats not an acceptable situation & I wouldn't use one other than for diagnostic reasons. I bought one & used it in a process of elimination trying to figure out why my gun wouldn't go bang.
Now its in a parts box until I need it again.

Theres better safer ways to smooth up a Marlin or relieve friction on the fireing pin without rendering a saftey feature nonfunctional.
big medicine
Levergunner 1.0

Post by big medicine »

I wouldn't go with a once piece firing pin for safety reasons. I have been shooting Marlins for the better part of 30 years and have never had a problem with the factory firing pins.
IN MEMORY OF PFC JEFFREY ALAN AVERY, 571st MP CO, KIA 23 APR 2007, AGE 19,MUQUDADIYAH,IRAQ
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

Pisgah wrote:
DennisD wrote:I haven't had my 1894 Cowboy .44 mag very long so I have a question. What is the advantage of the 1 piece firing pin? Is the stock 2 piece pin prone to breaking or something?
Personal opinion, no slight intended to anyone -- but I believe the main advantage to them is that those who sell them make money.

Supposedly, they help make the action smoother, and are usually installed by those involved in fast competition shooting. But the two-piece design was intentional, a safety device meant to preclude firing while out-of-battery. And, in fact, I believe the two piece pin is probably LESS prone to breakage that the one-piece.
Yep, just a gizmo to make money with!:lol:

I believe that the term "Marlin Safety" is in reference to the 2 piece firing pin, which as Leverdude notes began with the 1893.
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

I believe that the term "Marlin Safety" is in reference to the 2 piece firing pin, which as Leverdude notes began with the 1893.

Post by Grizzly Adams »

Leverdude wrote:
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Grizzly Adams wrote:
Leverdude wrote:
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

What pisgah said + 5 or is it 6? :wink:
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

Thanks for the responses. I could not personally see a disadvantage to the 2 piece but I always try to ask the more knowledgeable; of which there are a lot here.
I believe the main advantage to them is that those who sell them make money.
That seems to be the case with a lot of things. It is kinda like going to the local biker bar and listening to someone try to convince everyone else how much better his bike runs or handles or stops or has more power because he bolted on a chrome axle bolt cover or some other chrome piece that he found on his last trip to the Harley boutique. Don't get me wrong, I currently ride a Harley and have had several others in my stable (I have had 16 different bikes in my long riding career). Some of the "new breed" of riders just kill me however.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Now boys .. if you have never tried one all you can do is guess.

I have tried them and compared them and yes, they DO make the action noticably smoother.

But ... they are designed for CAS .. for "race" guns... I would NOT use them for hunting or self-defense guns.

As has been stated, the gun can possibly be fired "out of battery". It's not as easy as one would think. If you don't have a one-piece firing pin you can't test it. I have. :o

I don't get any money for saying so .. I ain't affiliated with anyone who makes them .. BUT THEY DO SLICK UP THE GUN. So if you are building a levergun for CAS I suggest you give it a try.

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/onepiece.htm
GEOFF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by GEOFF »

Now that was an interesting discussion and I learned alot from all the posts.

Never knew a one piece firing pin would smooth up an action. I understand the safety factor of the 2 piece though.

Geoff
Texican
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Texican »

JimT wrote:Now boys .. if you have never tried one all you can do is guess.

I have tried them and compared them and yes, they DO make the action noticably smoother.

But ... they are designed for CAS .. for "race" guns... I would NOT use them for hunting or self-defense guns.

As has been stated, the gun can possibly be fired "out of battery". It's not as easy as one would think. If you don't have a one-piece firing pin you can't test it. I have. :o

I don't get any money for saying so .. I ain't affiliated with anyone who makes them .. BUT THEY DO SLICK UP THE GUN. So if you are building a levergun for CAS I suggest you give it a try.

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/onepiece.htm
There's a comment to "+1"; nicely said. And yes, it's like an instant action job for $20.00. Combined with proper springs and judicious polishing it can make a rifle sing.
Texican

Gentlemanly Rogue, Projectilist of Distinction, and Son of Old Republic

Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

What Jim T said is true. It does take a little effort to lift that rear pin up against its spring tension before the gun will fire.
For CAS shooting every little advantage is worth going after.
I shoot so slow it would not help me! I will take the added safety and the factory parts ,Thank You! :wink:
S.B.
Levergunner 2.0

Post by S.B. »

Thanks, guys. I think I've got a handle on this now. Steve
"The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
Life member of NRA, USPSA, ISRA, AF&AM Pontiac #294
LIUNA #996 for the last 32 years, retired after 34 years.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I will bring my Marlin to the CSA and anyone who cares to shoot it may do so.