Need help from the Aussies on this board

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Need help from the Aussies on this board

Post by KirkD »

The final version of the Model 1892 was the Model 53, a slick little levergun chambered in 25-20, 32-20 and 44-40. There were probably less than 15,000 made in total and I'm am compiling a database of surviving Model 53's as part of my research on this Model. The plan is to publish a couple articles on it once I have enough data. I have been working on this for several years now and have located a total of 274 Model 53's in the USA, Canada and Australia.

Where the Aussies come in: The very last rifle in my database is serial number 999720. The last information I have, puts this rifle in Australia. This rifle may provide some valuable information about the final days of production of the Model 53 and I would love to get some additional information about this rifle.

If anyone here knows the owner of this rifle and is able to help me get in contact with him, I would be very grateful.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Need help from the Aussies on this board

Post by Carlsen Highway »

Kirk,
Australia or NZ? We got a lot of '92's in NZ as well. You would be lucky to find a specific rifle - what year was it made?
The trouble is what with all the gun buy backs and hand in's in more recent times, you also have to contend with all firearms being handed in for the war effort in WW1 and WW2. All the older guns were melted for scrap and sent to England to be made into Oerlikons and suchlike. .303's and Winchester 92's in .44/40 were given out to home guard and not always returned to their owners. (This is one reason why it is uncommon to find any old rifles left over from the 19th century down here, old muzzleloaders and '73's and so on.)
There are quite a few old '92's left around in the south island of NZ, mostly .32/20's, .25/20's and so forth for shooting hares and that back between the wars. T'was the varmint rifle of the day and we had plagues of hares.
A person who carries a cat home by the tail, will receive information that will always be useful to them.
Mark Twain
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

With something in the order of 800,000 registered firearms owners in Australia this is something of a needle in a haystack job, but there may be a way of finding it - police willing. Since all legal firearms in Australia are registered the rifle may be traceable through the various state and teritories firearms registries.

While the police may not release owner details they may be willing to confirm that the rifle is in their registry. That, at least, would narrow it down to a particular state/territory and the owner may be traceable through other avenues such as SSAA clubs.

These are the contact details for Western Australia:
Website: http://www.police.wa.gov.au/Ourservices ... fault.aspx
Postal Address:
WA Police Licensing Services (Firearms)
Locked Bag 9
East Perth WA 6892

Call centre
Tel: 1300 171 011
Fax: 9454 1522

Email: LicensingServicesFirearms@police.wa.gov.au

I can dig up details for the other states/territories if you wish.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Thanks for the info, men. All I know is that it was in Australia just two years ago. It is chambered in 25-20 and is in standard configuration. I figured it would be a needle in the haystack, long-shot, but no harm in asking everyone to keep an eye open. Maybe I'll get lucky.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
the telegraphist
Levergunner 2.0

Post by the telegraphist »

Gday Kirk, am working on your request, will see what turns-up. Trying to establish what state or territory the gun may be in at present, also if it is still in one piece or destroyed. The last owner will still be on record somewhere.

Little confused though, the mod 53 serial data only goes to 15000 or so, so 999720 is actually a model 92 made in 1930.
GUN CONTROL IS HITTING YOUR TARGET
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

the telegraphist wrote: Little confused though, the mod 53 serial data only goes to 15000 or so, so 999720 is actually a model 92 made in 1930.
The Model 53 and the Model 92 receivers were identical. The first 10,874 Model 53's were numbered in their own serial range. After September 21st, 1927 they began using Model 92 receivers to build the Model 53, numbered in the Model 92 serial range. Why they did this, I do not know, other than to simplify things since both receivers were identical.