You motor cycle guys.........

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Topside
Levergunner 2.0

You motor cycle guys.........

Post by Topside »

may have seen the likes of a race like this. I NEVER new of them and am truly amazed. One stray kitty cat at the wrong place and time and you got angels.
Some amazing footage...... http://www.wimp.com/streetracing/

T.
Last edited by Topside on Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A righteous man has regard for the life of his beast."
--Proverbs 12:10
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Re: You motor cycle guys.........

Post by .45colt »

After rideing for 38 years I say God Bless them. That is a Young Mans Game.at one time I may have raced on a roadrace course with banked turns and a much safer arena but never on the street. I saw a rider hit a mailbox with his left arm once on the street and it left a very lasting impression.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

MECCA for any motorcyclist worthy of the moniker! 8) :lol:

I hope to visit there once before I die. On a fast
vintage 500 single, maybe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isle_of_Man_TT

They've been holding motorcycle races on the Isle of Man
for a long, long time. One lap is something like 38 miles
and has over 200 turns. The outright lap record is over
131 miles an hour - that's over public roads, folks, and
that's the AVERAGE speed over those 38 miles. Some
riders take a year or more to learn the course. Forgetting
the correct line through one of those fast corners would
be, and has been, fatal.

During one of the weekends of the racing season, the course, or a
great part of it, is opened to the public for an afternoon. Run what
ya brung - no speed limits apply! Every year there are injuries and/or
fatalities as a result, but the reasoning is that speed-crazy riders will
go out and ride like maniacs anyway, so we can at least get other road
users off the street and have everyone going in the same direction
for an afternoon. The day in question has always, and appropriately,
been called "Mad Sunday."

In 1976 the great Italian rider Giacomo Agostini, who I believe still
holds the record for the most 500cc Grand Prix wins and the record for
the most World Championships, boycotted the Grand Prix races held there,
saying the course was just too dangerous to force riders to race
there as part of their World Championship contracts. The feeling was
that racing on the Island should be a "volunteers only" type of proposition.
In 1977 it was removed from the Grand Prix calendar.

There are some public road races in Ireland, too, but the Isle
of Man is the absolute ne plus ultra for this type of racing.
When Hemingway referred to motor racing as sport, he had
this type of activity in mind.

My hat's off to these guys (and a few gals!) for their skill and sheer guts.

Thanks, Topside - I LOVED the video!! :D

-Stretch
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

That is a Young Mans Game
Believe it or not, but there are riders in their 60s who are
still COMPETITIVE each year in some of the classes!!

-Stretch
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

As a 40 year rider, I'm impressed, but have zero desire (idiocy :P ?) for that sort of thing. I like to ride in a slightly more sedate manner...which may be why I've ridden 40 years without hurting myself, except for a minor issue going over some RR tracks when I was a beginner, and did it too slow. My sincere admiration for those road warriors :mrgreen:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Stretch....Don't mind Me I'm just showing My age. I used to get all excited about such stuff in My 20's and now I can't beleave how long it takes to recover from even minor injuries :lol: .
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

now I can't beleave how long it takes to recover from even minor injuries .
Man, ain't it the truth! :cry:

The hardware might be aging, but the rest of me refuses to grow up!! :lol:

-Stretch
BILLYDIXON
Levergunner 1.0

Post by BILLYDIXON »

It was so nice to view the TT. Never went but watched the race every year on tape. Joey Dunlop won more races than anybody else. the North Western is another race before the IOM in Ireland. I rode myself for 21 years my last 2 bike were a 87 Honda VFR 700 which I put a lot of miles on about 65K miles and a Kawasaki Concours a sport tourer hard bags 7 1/2 gallon tank and a big windshield that was comfortable on long hauls I had to sell them after my knees went south. I road over 100,000 miles in the last 16 years I rode. But had to sell them. As soon as I have my knees fixed I plan on buying a Triumph 900 scrambler with the high pipes just like Steve McQueens bike plus a couple more. I do have several lever actions and I still shootem.
BD
NRA Life
GOA Life
NSSA Life
AMA Life
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

I have never ever had that sort of courage ..... absolutely terrifying watching that ...... those guys are amazing.

Cheers,

Carl
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

I've always been stunned and amazed at motorcycle racers. My hat's off to 'em.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

I was first made aware of the Isle Of Man race just a coupla years ago. That's some CRAZY stuff right there...!!! :o
I've logged something over 400,000 mi. on 2 wheels in my life...(I've ridden my current bike...Harley FXRS..260,000 mi. alone. ) straight-up riding...with only an occasional "lean" on long sweeping curves is MY choice. I'm not one to "ride-the-twisties". I've watched others...and frankly, it just doesn't look like fun to me. I'd rather take my time and enjoy the scenery along those mountain roads. But that's just me. :D
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Went to the races once in the 60's, spent our time at Ballaugh Bridge, a spectacle to be sure :D
Did not take part in "Mad Sunday" (future wife forbade it) but I can still remember the addictive smell of Castrol "R" :D :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Speechless! :shock:
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

BillyDixon, get those knee's fixed or replaced and get going again! After several knee scopes my left knee was replaced at 46 years of age and my right one at 47. Mighty young at the time but I had no choice. Talk about a life changing experience, my life was given back to me to walk and function more or less pain free. A replacement knee is not a perfect as a good OEM knee, but after having years of troubles and endless pain I was more than ready to swap out the bad peices and parts and go with the new stuff. I have a bikes since I was 12 and thay are a mojor part of my life. I even still have my 1977 Kawasaki KZ1000 LTD that my lovely bride and I rode away from our wedding 32 years ago Thursday (Sept 13). I went three years not riding as I went through the last tough times with my OEM knee's and then through the two replacements and rehabs. At one time I even thought I was done riding, but once it's in the blood ya just can't bleed it out! I'm back riding now and my son just got his license. Now I got a riding partner just like my Dad had when I started riding. Ya can't beat that! Be safe.
MZ5
Levergunner

Post by MZ5 »

I LOVE watching the Isle of Mann race!
My Honda 600 isn't as fast as those liter bikes, I'm sure, but I think it'd be a hoot to ride that course!

Funny thing about sport bikes (most street bikes, but I think sport bikes in particular); they get A LOT more stable as you speed up. Many of those funny wobbles you see aren't really all that noticeable when you're riding. What you do when you DO notice them makes all the difference in the world, though. Fight 'em and you're going down. Relax, let the bike go, and it'll stabilize and run right through it.
DixieBoy
Senior Levergunner

Post by DixieBoy »

Just watched the video. Unbelievable ! Just unreal.

That's some beautiful countryside there too, not that those boys get to enjoy the scenery too much. Incredible speeds, and no doubt, some serious skill in all of those riders. Gave me the willies just sitting in my chair watching. Holy Cow ! - DixieBoy
When the People Fear Their Government There is Tyranny; When the Government Fears the People There is Liberty.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

That looks fun. I don't ride anymore because there are too many idiots behind the wheel in the Dallas area. Just tonight I had some jerk in a big SUV pull up fast on my left and suddenly cut in right in the 3 feet between me and the car in front of me when there was 800 yards of free road right behind me. I was able to swerve and brake so that the jerk could get in without killing us both. About 2 miles further, he got a ticket. I just smiled as I passed him. People like that make it too dangerous to ride a 2 wheeler in this area, at least in my opinion. I do miss the 2 wheeler.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Good morning
I guess as young men we all viewed callenges as a personal way to exibit our nerve. Probably for me, 3 years and 22 days in a pickle suit (71-74 ) took care of many desires to be sticking my kneck out any further than is needed.
Been kick starting since I was 14 (well that was a mo-ped) and yesterday again side kicked my daily rider R75 (1971) and will do so again today. Down in Arequipa, Peru area the mountain village I go to on Tuesdays has 168 curves and goes from 9000 to 11,000 twice in a 22 kilometer distance. But not circular and a very nice two lane road through a very barren dry desert setting. I ride it no where near full throttle on a 200 KDX.
Mike in ILL till January
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

Broke my heart when, at age 83, I had to give up my motorcycling because my knees were wearing out and no longer could stand the weight of my beloved bike - this , my 30th bike - a BMW 1977 R100S - for reference, the first 1000cc bike BMW ever made and deviated from the standard "old man's touring bike" - 40mm Bing CV carbs both sides- first Beemer that would turn the quarter mile in 13 seconds and go 0 - 60 in under FIVE seconds and top 120 on the level - I can't confirm that since I ran out of courage a 110 but hadn't run out of throttle. The last model made without emission controls and the following year and since - 32 mm carbs -

Since retiring, I was doing a ride every week (had to be at least 100 miles long to qualify) and I was doling the "twisties" on the road to Cripple Creek (speed limit 40 MPH) when I saw an SUV coming up fast behind me. Not allowing any tailgating is #2 on the list of safety rules for bikers so I "turned up the wick" - he did too - by the time we got to the straights where I could pull over and wave him by, I was unable to take my eyes off the road to read to speedo but my RPM meter told me I was well over 60 MPH - I slowed up and waved him by but he didn't pass and those little red and blue lights on top started flashing!!! He was really hot under the collar when he came up demanding to know what my reason was for going so fast and, I was flustered - meaning to explain, I said I tried not to hold traffic up.

He got this funny look like he was trying to not laugh - guess he'd never heard that excuse before - but barely kept a straight face taking my licenses and papers back to his car. When he came back, he was just cracking up - explaining he expected to be catching a young speeder punk rider on a new fast sport bike and it blew his mind to have caught an 82 year old rider on a 30+ year old bike. I explained my reasons and wee parted friends with my verbal warning and my promising yo "do better" - he didn't ask what that meant - some days go good !!!
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

OJ,

now THAT is a Real Motorcycle !!!!!

Cheers,

Carl
1982 BMW R65LS
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

new pig hunter wrote:OJ,

now THAT is a Real Motorcycle !!!!!

Cheers,

Carl
1982 BMW R65LS
Thanks - I didn't mention the mods I made - engine made for high octane leaded gas - which was discontinued three years after I got it - BMW suggested thicker base gaskets but you don't buy a performance machine like that and reduce performance - so I went for putting a second spark plug in each cylinder - head looks like it was designed for that - and electronic ignition - required changes in timing and leaning out the fuel flow - you know how we hate that kind of fooling with our machines - :wink: Also, I really stiffened up the suspension all around, added special brake pads and stainless steel lines - etc - you know - it was one high performance machine - loved it but it hurt me much more to see it in the garage every day just running down from no use so I sold it on the BMW Airheads monthly magazine - got asking price with no questions or dickering - it was like parting with a family member - or worse.

I'm a charter life member of the AMA - nothing medical though I'm a retired surgeon - American Motorcycle Association - the medical one and I don't see eye-to-eye politically.
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

Hey OJ, I'm a flatlander from Illinois but I've road those roads around Cripple Creek. Beautiful area. Riding that Beemer like that maybe they should have a grey beard class and we could all meet at the Isl and scrape some pegs together.