Is It Just Me Or,,,

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Is It Just Me Or,,,

Post by cshold »

does old school percolated coffee just taste better?

Every now and then I get nostalgic and take the extra time on a
Saturday morning and perk coffee and make bacon and eggs in
an old iron frying pan. Done of coarse outdoors (back porch) over
my vintage 1978 Coleman LP stove. :)

guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Re: Is It Just Me Or,,,

Post by guido4198 »

I finally quit trying to get good HOT coffee out of all those drip machines. We went through all kinds of them over the years....even the "high-end" ones. NEVER got coffee hot enough to suit me. FINALLY droppped back to the "old school" Stainless Steel Hamilton Beach percolator just like Dad used for decades.
ALL THE DIFFERENCE IN THE WORLD. I only fill it to the "4-cup" line, and it's at least as fast...if not faster...than those plastic drip machines.
milton
Levergunner 2.0

Post by milton »

I don't think it is your imagination at all! My wife and myself always prepare percolated coffee in a pot we bought from Cabela's.We tried other ways but there is just something about perc'd coffee.It also helps if the power is out and it is cold or you are camping,something about the necessity and great taste!
"Knowledge without understanding is a dangerous thing. For a little knowledge entices us to walk its path, a bit more provides the foundation on which we take our stand, and a sufficient amount can erect a wall of knowledge around us, trapping us in our own ignorance."
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Such refined tastes you guys have. I seldom drink coffee, other than when camping, but yep, a percolator is the way to go. Almost cowboy coffee, it's the grounds you get between your teeth! :P :P :twisted: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

That's cool but I learned to drink coffee in Louisiana. Seaport in between made in a dripolator. You better not boil it when reheating or you've "burned the coffee". Up here in Oklahoma the closest I can find is a medium roast that I make in the plastic machine. Still miss the Seaport.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

I wouldn`t know, every morning when the wife makes coffee i ask her if she smells that skunk :lol:

I do agree that made the old fasion way food tastes better. :wink:
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Good morning
After the dripper coffee maker has a good bunch in the plastic thing I put them into the "old school" and brew up something that tastes like coffee. My wife thinks I am a bit odd but the coffee tastes right.
Mike in ILL.
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

M. M. Wright wrote:That's cool but I learned to drink coffee in Louisiana. Seaport in between made in a dripolator. You better not boil it when reheating or you've "burned the coffee". Up here in Oklahoma the closest I can find is a medium roast that I make in the plastic machine. Still miss the Seaport.
I get my coffee mailed to me from Louisiana; dark roast Community Coffee brand brewed in a drip pot on the stove.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

As for drip machines, I agree, they just don't seem to get the flavor out of the coffee. I currently use a Keurig machine. Each cup is brewed individually, and you can select the temperature and size. This way you get it as hot and strong as you like. I does cost more, whether you buy the coffee in premeasured "pots" or use regular coffee in the adapter (my preferred way on the weekends).

I've given it a try, and you could get two cups out of the adapter, but the second just seems a bit too mild for me. One good thing is that during the week, I can make just one cup, in the morning. Then too, when entertaining, everyone can have what ever type of coffee the want, be it a light, medium, bold or (yuck) flavored.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
tattoo13
Levergunner 1.0

Post by tattoo13 »

Most drip coffee makers do not get hot enough, they run 160-180.
Coffee is best brewed at 200 degrees, the flavor really comes out of the grounds.
My favorite way to brew is a french press, every coffee drinker I know that has tried coffee out of my french press has started shopping for their own. :D
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I like my Braun dripper. The cooking thermometer sez it's 190....I have to admit, my blue w/white spots perker makes good coffee, too.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

BlaineG wrote:I like my Braun dripper. The cooking thermometer sez it's 190....I have to admit, my blue w/white spots perker makes good coffee, too.
Blaine ya didn't let me down :)
Somehow I knew you had a blue & white speckled perk pot too 8)
I have a good feeling o'll Pitchster has one or two as well :wink:
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

Hey, try something out of this--

It's a vacuum style coffee maker. Been around for a while believe it or not. Water it in the bottom, filter in between and coffee in the top. Put it over heat and the water boils in sealed bottom, forcing it up via pressure to the top and the coffee (shown in pic). Once that's done, you take it off the heat, pressure in the bottom reduces and the coffee filters back through the bottom. Take the top off and you have your coffee.

Yeah, it's a bit over the top but pretty darn cool. I bought my dad one for the novelty value once.
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Panzercat wrote:Hey, try something out of this--

It's a vacuum style coffee maker. Been around for a while believe it or not. Water it in the bottom, filter in between and coffee in the top. Put it over heat and the water boils in sealed bottom, forcing it up via pressure to the top and the coffee (shown in pic). Once that's done, you take it off the heat, pressure in the bottom reduces and the coffee filters back through the bottom. Take the top off and you have your coffee.

Yeah, it's a bit over the top but pretty darn cool. I bought my dad one for the novelty value once.
:lol: I'd have that sucker in 100 pieces within a week :oops:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Yep!! Glass + pressure = me burnt, cut & or blown up :)
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

My lovely wife is German. We use the little cone with a paper filter used for each cup. She sold me, always hot from the kettle boil and fresh. Beside she makes it and I drink it, good deal!

I even stopped perking in the bush. I grew up in a family that brewed tea over a fire in a pot. The way grandpa brewed it from the grub box it made coffee a real wimpy drink. Now, give me a cup of joe any day.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Canuck Bob wrote:My lovely wife is German. We use the little cone with a paper filter used for each cup. She sold me, always hot from the kettle boil and fresh. Beside she makes it and I drink it, good deal!

I even stopped perking in the bush. I grew up in a family that brewed tea over a fire in a pot. The way grandpa brewed it from the grub box it made coffee a real wimpy drink. Now, give me a cup of joe any day.
That sounds like the old Melita setup. Good coffee, but messy.

As to the vacuum "brewer" I've tried it and yep, broke it. But the coffee was good.

In regards to french press. I've got a couple, and I have to admit they make darned good coffee. Nice for a time when time isn't an issue. My only complaint was that it took quite a few tries to get the coffee measure just right. And once found, it works only for that coffee and that grind. Switch either and it's back to the drawing board.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I received one of the blue/white camp pots with a percolator in it as a gift a few years ago. I made one good pot of coffee with it, then it never could seem to make good coffee again. I tossed the percolator part and made cowboy coffee, and it was great! I think the best coffee I've ever had.

Add one extra coffee cup of water over what I want, boil the water gently (may be a lower temp than lower elevations) add an extra scoop of coffee over what I want to match the water, let boil gently for a few, take off heat, let sit a few minutes, then pour carefully. I toss the last sip in the cup, and the last cup in the pot where the rgouds hang out. Very simple, and very good!
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

casastahle wrote:
BlaineG wrote:I like my Braun dripper. The cooking thermometer sez it's 190....I have to admit, my blue w/white spots perker makes good coffee, too.
Blaine ya didn't let me down :)
Somehow I knew you had a blue & white speckled perk pot too 8)
I have a good feeling o'll Pitchster has one or two as well :wink:
Like these. :mrgreen:

Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Yep, you got some real classics there Pitchy :mrgreen:
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

As long as it has the V shaped grounds basket I find that drip machines do just fine, but I like the Keurig machines quite a lot. I don't like or want coffee that's too hot but I don't like it weak ether, so the key passed on to me is the grind (very fine) and the V shaped basket and filter. I've never had a good cup of coffee out of a flat basket drip machine but I suspect a percolator could get the job done - I just don't have any experience with one.

And I have to say that despite my mother being named Mrs. Olson and using Folgers coffee brewed in a percolator, it was some terrible coffee! Tasted pretty much exactly like Army coffee!! Yeesh... [Sorry Mom.]

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

olyinaz wrote:As long as it has the V shaped grounds basket I find that drip machines do just fine, but I like the Keurig machines quite a lot. I don't like or want coffee that's too hot but I don't like it weak ether, so the key passed on to me is the grind (very fine) and the V shaped basket and filter. I've never had a good cup of coffee out of a flat basket drip machine but I suspect a percolator could get the job done - I just don't have any experience with one.

And I have to say that despite my mother being named Mrs. Olson and using Folgers coffee brewed in a percolator, it was some terrible coffee! Tasted pretty much exactly like Army coffee!! Yeesh... [Sorry Mom.]

Oly
Try their Black Silk (available in the K-cups). It's a considerable step up from their "canned" coffee.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by RustyJr »

I definitely prefer coffee out of a percolator. My dad likes his french press (they say it makes the best coffee) but I still prefer the percolator. As far as the brand of coffee goes . . . nothing to me tastes better than Dunkin Donuts brand of coffee. After reading this thread I think I'm going to go put a pot on. :D

RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

casastahle wrote:does old school percolated coffee just taste better?
Done of coarse outdoors (back porch) over
my vintage 1978 Coleman LP stove. :)
Yup tastes better especially over a campfire in the woods. :wink:
I remember when percolating was the only way to make coffee normally. I lost my percolator during my move from Maui. :cry:
Two of my favorite smells are fresh brewed coffee, and frying bacon. :D
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

You're right about that Ji, and together they are just pure delight. The only thing even close is some of that salty country ham with red eye gravy.

As Jr said, I use a press now but had a vacuum maker in the past I bought at a yard sale. I never knew what they called them before. Now I think I'll look for one.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

ALL coffee tastes like POOH !

Hot tea is no better .

Weak weak unsweetened iced tea isn't so bad .

I'd rather drink milk , water or diet blueberry juice .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I think that coffee pot is just a part of your collection.

Way too clean to have ever made even one decent cup of real coffee.

Not saying that you don't have an actual percolator hidden behind your autoclave, but I notice that you didn't provide any photos of the... uh, "product."

:mrgreen: :wink:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

FWiedner wrote:I think that coffee pot is just a part of your collection.

Way too clean to have ever made even one decent cup of real coffee.

Not saying that you don't have an actual percolator hidden behind your autoclave, but I notice that you didn't provide any photos of the... uh, "product."

:mrgreen: :wink:
"Autoclave" ??? Are you referring to my big o'l corn boiling pot? :D
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

If that's what you call whatever you used to sterilize that coffee pot.

Dang, dude... That puppy is clean.

:lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

FWiedner wrote:If that's what you call whatever you used to sterilize that coffee pot.

My coffee/tea cup is so black inside, I'm sure the beverage never touches the glazed inside. 8)

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

BlaineG wrote:
FWiedner wrote:If that's what you call whatever you used to sterilize that coffee pot.

My coffee/tea cup is so black inside, I'm sure the beverage never touches the glazed inside. 8)

LOL Blaine,
I have a daily use coffee-cup that's in the well used condition as yours. 8)

FW,
As I said at the beginning of this thread,
"Every now and then I get nostalgic and take the extra time on a Saturday morning and perk coffee"
That pot is always well cleaned right after use and is put back on display in my man/gun room. :D
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Had a beautiful Pyrex percolator but the stem broke. :cry:

Mostly just use a French Press these days.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

casastahle wrote:
BlaineG wrote:

LOL Blaine,
I have a daily use coffee-cup that's in the well used condition as yours. 8)

FW,
As I said at the beginning of this thread,
"Every now and then I get nostalgic and take the extra time on a Saturday morning and perk coffee"
That pot is always well cleaned right after use and is put back on display in my man/gun room. :D
First of all, and on your topic, I agree. Few things are as satisfying or as downright tasty as freshly percolated coffee or pan fried eggs and bacon. I am totally on board.

I respect your devotion to the good maintenance of your collection.

That said, and for no other purpose than discussion, I feel compelled to opine that an unseasoned pot cannot make a good cup of coffee. Perhaps you have a particularly savory blend that you put into your percolator basket to disguise the fact that the ... um... 'history' has been scoured away?

You seem to indicate that you enjoy the process as much as the product, and I'm thinkin' there's nothing wrong with that.

:mrgreen:

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

When was at work, a Busy-Body complained about my coffee cup to management :roll: It was evidently "too gross" :roll: Gee, I sure miss all the incompetent bureaucrats at that place. :lol:
(sipping on my third cup of strong, Columbian this morning)

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

BlaineG wrote:When was at work, a Busy-Body complained about my coffee cup to management :roll: It was evidently "too gross" :roll: Gee, I sure miss all the incompetent bureaucrats at that place. :lol:
I am not "allowed" to make coffee at work. Apparently it was way too strong. I bring my own from home now, who wants to drink colored water anyway?

Two of my morning necessities;

Not a purcolator, set coffee pot in another pan of boiling water on stove and SLOWLY pour boiling water into top of coffee pot. Really makes good coffee, and the aroma....
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

BlaineG wrote:strong, Columbian this morning)

oh yeah you mean Columbian coffee !

Had a flashback to the 70's when Columbian Gold meant something else :lol:
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

[/quote]

I am not "allowed" to make coffee at work. Apparently it was way too strong. I bring my own from home now, who wants to drink colored water anyway?

Two of my morning necessities;

Not a purcolator, set coffee pot in another pan of boiling water on stove and SLOWLY pour boiling water into top of coffee pot. Really makes good coffee, and the aroma....[/quote]

Now that is one very cool coffee maker. 8)
I never saw one like that.
Where did you get it?
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

In Louisiana, my family is from Vermilion Parish, Abbeville/Perry. They are common down there, I actually have two, this blue one and a smaller white one with red specks.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

6pt-sika wrote:

Cups....not bowls, Dude... :oops:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

sorry, when I camp, I take a press and coarse-ground Sumatra, and IMO it beats any other cup of coffee ever conceived
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

A pour-over makes a serious cup of coffee.

Very robust.

:mrgreen:

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

BlaineG wrote:When was at work, a Busy-Body complained about my coffee cup to management :roll: It was evidently "too gross" :roll: Gee, I sure miss all the incompetent bureaucrats at that place. :lol:
I have a white ceramic cup emblazoned with Biohazard markings specifically to warn onlookers of the earthy-brown coating on the inside...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

You guys remind me of something I read somewhere a long time ago:

"Coffee perking, bacon frying, and the gleam in a woman's eye -- all promise more than they can deliver!"
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

I'm chiming in a little late, but I agree, percolated coffee is darn good. I very seldom drink coffee, but when I do I'm very particular. I drink coffee occasionally when hunting or camping, and it's always percolated. I should just get a percolator for the stove, too.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Cimarron Red wrote:You guys remind me of something I read somewhere a long time ago:

"Coffee perking, bacon frying, and the gleam in a woman's eye -- all promise more than they can deliver!"
Not the coffee and bacon :P

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Cimarron Red wrote:You guys remind me of something I read somewhere a long time ago:

Two (coffee & bacon) out of three ain't bad. :lol:
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

BlaineG wrote:
6pt-sika wrote:

Cups....not bowls, Dude... :oops:

Ahhh yeah yeah !

Let me go get a couple cups of Doritos for a "snack" after I finish this ahhh ahhh bowl !

What bowl officer it wasn't ME LOL's :shock:
Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

Well, OK. Probably not the coffee and the bacon.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

After reading this for a few days I just had to take a picture of my coffee maker. I bought this in 1975, there has been some good coffee made in this old pot. It has traveled by canoe and truck and been in some fine company.

Well boys, photobucket won't let me have it today. I'll try againin a day or so.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

:shock: wow! Never expected this thread to takeoff like this 8)

Just goes to show, good company, hot cup of joe and gun talk
all go hand in hand. Guys this forum is awsome, but if you ever
get the chance to spend some live real time face to face with any
of the people in this forum, it's a must do. I spent an awsome
Tuesday morning with two of our forum brothers goose hunting
that I wouldn't trade for the world. :wink: