a Bad DAY at my house

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

a Bad DAY at my house

Post by fordwannabe »

Last night we had to make the decision to take our much loved red dobie to the vet to be put down. He has had cancer over most of his body for a while, and after they said what they were gonna have to put him through, we said "thanks but no thanks". Up until Friday he was doing well and happy without many issues, I was away at hunting camp doing the firewood thing and arrived home last night to my wife very upset about CAPONE(a dobie we got from a NJ rescue, how appropriate). He was having trouble breathing and was cold and anemic looking at his lips. My wife slept on the floor with him last night because for the first time since we've had him he could not jump on the bed. This morning I called off from work at 7:15 saying I had to take care of this and at 7:40 before he had to go through being loaded into the car and going to the scary place...Capone passed...at home with his people. He had been able to get his upper half on the bed this morning and I picked the back half of him up at 7:30 so he actually died on our bed. A TRUE BED HOG TIL THE END THAT DOG!
My wifes family has a nice piece of property on the other side of the state and she called and asked if we could bring "big brown" there for burial. We loaded him up, and the two other dogs were the best behaved they have ever ,as we put him in the car to drive 4 hours out to the property. My buddy is buried under a nice big tree overlooking the property, my MIL and her sister even had a pillow for his head to put in with him.

I ain't looking for sympathy because I feel lucky to have had him. I have read and believe the rainbow bridge.
I just had to let somebody know and yall are it. Thanks for listening.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Re: a Bad DAY at my house

Post by 1894cfan »

I hear ya. Hope you get another good one like that.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Theres some Big Ears and Bigger Hearts here. And I for One Sympathize with You.
After a Flood in 1986 Our Red Collie came down with Leukemia, My Daughter held Her in Her Lap till She passed.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Sorry to hear it. It's always hard to lose a good friend. Some folks don't get that attached to "animals", some of us do. You took good care of him, and did the best you could, then gave him a nice resting place.

I bury most of mine in the yard. The last two are out in the yard here. When each went, they got a blanket, their favorite toy, and some treats, and are next to each other, as they were best buds in their life together.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I don't know why I take this sort of thing so hard.....But....I'm sorry for your loss. I can only hope they know they are loved at the end and that brings them some comfort in going.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

I am very sorry for your loss!
I am with Blaine on the feeling that even reading this puts a lump in my throat and starts making my eyes glassy!
Dogs are (our best friends)they will never let you down and they are to be cherished.
Take comfort(as best you can)that your companion passed home with his loved ones loving him so dearly.
God Bless
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

We are very sorry for your loss.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Godspeed Capone. Thanks for taking care of our brother.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

You know, recent studies have shown that humans and dogs forged their special bond more than 200,000 years ago. I think this accounts for the love we have for these good buddies. Sorry you lost yours! Find another to pick up the baton handoff from Capone.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Sorry for your lose :(
Ya worked through it in a good way for you and him. :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

madman4570 wrote:I am very sorry for your loss!
I am with Blaine on the feeling that even reading this puts a lump in my throat and starts making my eyes glassy!
Dogs are (our best friends)they will never let you down and they are to be cherished.
Take comfort(as best you can)that your companion passed home with his loved ones loving him so dearly.
God Bless
+ 1.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I am sorry for your loss. you and your family are in my prayers. may memories replace the loss feeling.

blessings
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Deepest sympathies & condolences on your loss. I just loss my stupid cat of 16+ years and I miss her irritating meow and crazy ways so I feel for you. Take care
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

One of the most painful things that happen to us in our lives. Your friend will be waiting for you at the Bridge.
Irelander
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Irelander »

I know how hard it is. We had to have one of our two dogs put down a few months ago (has it really been that long?). Hardest thing I've had to do in my 32 years. She is buried out back under her favorite tree. My brother-in-law got us a nice memorial. If you don't already have one, check out http://artisticetching.com/petmemorials.htm. They do great work.

Hope you are doing well and always remember the good times you had with your old friend.
The time has come to stand for all we believe in.

Glock Certified Armorer
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Very sorry! I know how hard it is.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Thanks gentlemen! We are doing ok, my wife had a hard day today but we got to talk for 4 hours yesterday on the way home, and we decided we are pretty lucky to have been able to rescue him from a bad situation, and he then showed his love for us from that day on. He had his days though...we knew this day was coming and I got my loving wife a dobie puppy for christmas. Capone however was NOT thrilled to have the interloper in the house. He was a stern taskmaster until Moses(actually John Moses Browning, and my Wife named him) got to understand the rules of the house and appropriate respect of the old dogs. We have 2 now a Yellow labnamed Hunter who we rescued in 2006 and Moses the floppy eared little Dobie. Loved Pone sad he's gone, but more glad he's not suffering. Thanks again Guys us dog lovers have to stick together.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Dave B
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Dave B »

madman4570 wrote:I am very sorry for your loss!
God Bless
+1

Dave B
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

I am very sorry about your loss of a true pal.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

sorry for your loss --insert tear here-- ... :(
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

It's always a bad day when you say goodbye to a loyal companion. My wife and I have done it several times in the last 30+ years and will have to do it again in the next year or two as the last dog in the house is also riddled with tumors.

You remember them fondly and eventually you are ready to take on another one. We have fond memories of half a dozen, and look forward to finding another Rottie soon.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.